Does it matter how many carbs I'm eating?

Options
Today I ate 4 slices of pumpernickel (rye bread) and 3 bananas. I can probably still stick to my calorie limit (or go over a little) but eating so many carbs feels like a sin. How bad is this? Isn't weight loss just as simple as calories in vs calories out?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you simply want to lose weight, eat whatever you like within your calorie limit and you'll lose. Carbs do not matter, calories do.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Nope eating carbs is not a sin, unless you have a medical reason to track carbs make sure you are eating enough protein, fats and let carbs look after themselves.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I lost 10% body fat munching away on all the carbs, and listening and learning from the wise people here.

Yep. Calories in, calories out. Not glamorous, no short cuts. All you need is diligence and patience. Open your diary if you want us to see how you're doing.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    From the research I have done, nothing is wrong with carbs, what is important (from a nutritionists point of view) is the quality of the carbohydrates, with white, processed carbohydrates having very little nutritional value.

From a weight loss point of view, it is simple a matter of calories in and calories out.

From my personal experience, I find that I am more likely to go over my goal if I eat food high in carbohydrates, especially processed carbohydrates and sugar.

I feel like carbs are the new fat in being vilified for weight gain.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you look at Asian populations, they are generally thin, and generally eat tons of carbs -- rice, rice porridge, noodles, dumplings, steamed buns, fruit and veg.
    This is because their total calories are low. You can eat rice all day long if you're not taking in fast food, junk food, sweets, heavy meats, dairy, alcohol, etc.
    Most people in Asia -- at least in traditional communities -- also eat smaller portions. They have small amounts of lean meat (like 3 oz of chicken in a stir-fry), lots of broth and greens.
    So if you're eating carbs but still keeping a deficit, you will lose.
    I've lost 30 lbs since having a baby, and I have toast most mornings, and rice for lunch or dinner almost every day.
  • 0nesecret
    0nesecret Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is quite ironic because I live in an Asian community and am partially Asian.

Anyway, I realized that there's no need to fear carbs but they DO tend to be less fulfilling it seems....
  • deepthavinay
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs. I am Asian, and we eat carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner..but don't have processed carbs like white rice and white flour. Have protien and fat along with carbs
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros....
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Carbs are not bad in themselves, but if you want to lose weight AND be healthy, you need to balance carbs, fats and protein. Don't eliminate one so you can have more of the other.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Carbs matter for those with metabolic conditions. If you're not part of that group, don't worry about how many carbs you have each day. Just make sure you stay within your calorie goal.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Only if you have a condition. I, for example, have high levels of insulin, so I can't eat foods with high GI and I also have a low carbs goal to meet. After this, is all about the calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The only reasons you should limit carbs is if you're intolerant to them, if you're hungry a lot, or if it prevents you from reaching your protein goal (which should be 30% of your daily calories, ideally).
  • Dianemarie65
    Dianemarie65 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me it's all about balancing my carbs and protein. If I eat a lot of carbs my appetite is never satisfied but if I balance my intake with protein rich foods my hunger is more satisfied.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Agree with what folks are saying here. Weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out, so in the strictest sense it doesn't matter what you eat. However, some foods are not as satisfying as others or are so high in calories that you can only eat a little bit, which may leave you hungry and you end up eating more. If I had a choice between x number of calories from potato chips vs x number of calories from cheese (and I DO so love both), I would choose the cheese because I know it would be much more likely to satisfy my appetite.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Nope, I used to eat 400 grams of carbs everyday, and started losing (more focused on recomp). After a while, I started craving more protein, and now I'm around 200-300 grams carbs and atleast 100 grams of protein per day.
    I am heavier, but abs are starting to show, so carbs are no problem to eat.
    As long as you move to use them :)
  • itsjosiebitch
    itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really don't worry about how many carbs I eat. What I do, is I try to eat a good amount of protein and fiber. Just what I concern over.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Carbs matter for those with metabolic conditions. If you're not part of that group, don't worry about how many carbs you have each day. Just make sure you stay within your calorie goal.

This. I eat a lot of carbs-lost almost 60lbs while doing this and now I'm maintaining doing the same. The thing to pay attention to is calories, as long as you don't have a medical condition that changes things :smile:
  • pgatony1
    Options
    I am a believer in less calories in and also keep an eye on Carbs and more protein and lots of water either way just stay focused on what you are doing and the weight will come off...Oh yes Excercise helps too.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Not unless you're eating low carb. Personally, I feel better when I eat low carb and high fat, but that's just me.