How often do you update your HRM?

Options
I got my Polar Ft4 a few weeks ago, I weighed 180 so that's what I entered in. Currently I'm at 173, and was just wondering how often you guys update your settings with weight loss? Obviously as you lose more weight you burn less calories, and I don't want to be overestimating my burns. I was thinking maybe every ten pounds, does that seem reasonable?

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    A HRM is just guesstimating based on averages for your weight and height that have no relation to your actual measurements, so it will not be an accurate measurement unless you've medically assessed those parameters with cardiac function testing and input them instead of the default calculations.

It will, however, be guessing higher as long as it believes what your cardiovascular system is working to move is a larger body, so in that sense updating it with a lower weight will usually give you a more accurate calorie count. If your goal is weight loss, you would want to update it more often to err on the side of underestimating rather than overestimating calories burned.
  • nursekirsty
    nursekirsty Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I update mines every 7lbs :-)
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    every 5 lbs
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Every gain/loss of 5 lbs depending if I'm bulking or cutting.