New to weight loss.

Options
Hi, I weight about 225lbs. My BMI according to this BMI calculator I found online is 30.5 which puts me just at obese. I'm 19 yrs old, male and my height is 6ft. I've tried losing weight before but I gave up after a while because I simply didn't care but now I do care. My question is how much weight can I lose in 4 months without doing anything unhealthy? I've already started to cut out garbage foods for the most part and I'm going to start exercising everyday. My overall goal is 160lbs so that's a 65lb difference from the 225lbs I'm starting at.

My second question is, what kind of foods should I be eating and how much exercise should I be doing everyday and what should my calorie limit be? I leave for school pretty early so I need some ideas for breakfast that can be made quickly or doesn't need to be made at all. As for lunch are there any meal replacement drinks or juices that work well, mainly because some days I have back to back classes and don't get time for lunch, and I don't want to be eating in class. For exercise is 45 minutes of cardio a day good enough? That'll be on top of the 20+ minutes of walking I do every day going to and getting back from school. Okay I know that's a lot of questions, but if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated. Any other tips or advice on what I could do to help me lose weight would be great too. Thanks :)

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Well you should start exercising, preferably lifting some weights.. 4 months I would say with water weight you could probably drop 15-20 lbs (10 being water probably).. Your calorie goal with exercise is probably going to be around 2000 calories, so buy a food scale and start using it or else you will be all over the place.

As for what you should be eating, whatever fits is what you eat.. you want pizza go for it.. but days of eating whole pizza from pizza hut maybe over.. (unless its your only meal) Don't bother with replacement meals or any of that, and try not to drink your calories.. that is about it.

Use the search feature, all questions you have.. have been asked a million times.. lots of good info by searching.
  • dethh
    dethh Posts: 9
    Options
    Okay thanks, are you sure I could only lose 15-20lbs in four months that seems so little. I've heard its normal to lose 2 lbs a week?
  • mpott3r
    mpott3r Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've lost 51 lbs in 4 months, so losing more than 15-20 is definitely possible. I started training with the C25K running program. Along with a little weight training. All depends on every persons individual body as to how much they can lose I guess. Good luck on your journey!!! :D
  • itsjosiebitch
    itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think that you could lose 40 pounds but you gotta be committed everyday, if not, you'll lose a few pounds or stay the same weight . I lost weight by just changing my eating habits. I' have a healthy bmi now and stayed the same weight for a year now because I kinda stopped really wanting to continue but I'm finally ready to lose the rest now and be at at the lower range of the bmi scale- just saying.
  • dethh
    dethh Posts: 9
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the replies. How much exercise did you guys do daily? and what kind of foods did you eat everyday?