home workouts for stay at home mamas!

Options
hey all! i'm just starting out and i wanna jump right into dieting and exercising! im a stay at home mommy and im unable to attend a gym since my spouse works overnight and he sleeps during the day and i have a 6 month old and generally i cant go for a walk when its so cold out right now :( so i was wondering anyone know any good home workout routines/sites/videos that are great calorie burners??

thanks so much!

Replies

• hconnollyx
    Options
    Hi! I am in nearly the same situation as you. Don't really get much time to myself never mind to exercise! When my baby sleeps during the day I'll have about 30 minutes to workout, so I needed something that was short in time but still effective. I am doing 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels, its on youtube. You do level one for 10 days then move up to level 2. I am still on level one but I can really feel the burn. It has really good reviews and I think its a good one to start out on, so good luck fellow mama!
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking into Focus T25, or perhaps one of Jillian Michael's programs, either 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30. T25 is only 25 minutes a day, and those two particular JM videos are roughly the same if not a little bit shorter, so totally doable when the baby is napping and all give you a great work out. :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Are there no gyms in your area with childcare? I personally prefer the gym over working out at home. Plus if they have childcare, you get a nice little break! When my little one was younger I used to even take him in on my rest days and just go take a shower, sit in the hot tub or steam room, etc. Lol. But if not:

You can get a running stroller and go for jogs. The C25K is a good program if you're not good at running. And other than that there are plenty of work out videos out there. Jillian Michaels has lots. You could also just do push ups, sit ups, pulls ups, etc. on your own. There's a book called "your body is a gym" (or something like that) you could look into that.

I know a lot of people on here use beachbody workouts, like insanity, p90x, etc. I did turbo jam a couple years ago... it was fun for cardio.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I suggest the good old library to find workout videos. You'll probably have to go through some stinkers (like the yoga instructors who you'd like to pimp-slap after two minutes), but you can probably find a few you like, so you've got variety AND free, so BAM! Good luck! :drinker:
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I started working out when my twins were 3 months old and I have never had a gym membership so it is very possible!

I recommend 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution and getting yourself some hand weights. I started with 3, 5, and 10 and moved up from there.

I did my workouts in the evenings after my kids (6 of them) went to bed. Just find what works for you, whether it is first thing in the morning or right before bed or somewhere in between.

ETA: Doing the above workouts got me confident enough to start heavy lifting and that is where I really started seeing some awesome change.
  • ebarb74
    ebarb74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Search YouTube... Lots of exercise videos there.... Also, if you have room and can afford it, a treadmill is my favorite calorie burning cardio machine. You can burn lots of calories in a short amount of time, especially if you get one with variable incline.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    4 kiddos here and my husband also works at night. He pretty much just works and sleeps during the week. I can't afford a gym membership or the gas it would take to drive there a few times a week. So I had to think old school. I see someone already mentioned push-ups and sit-ups. Use squats and jumping jacks, too. Things like that are more effective than most realize. And do you realize how many calories you can burn with a simple jump rope? Jillian Michaels work-outs can be found on youtube, along with MANY other kinds of work-outs. I've bought some free weights from Wal-Mart and found strength training work-outs online. I can already tell a diference since I started using them. We mamas have to get creative sometimes, but we can lose weight the same as someone who goes to a gym. Just use that beautiful baby as inspiration. Gotta be fit to keep up with them!
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Not sure about a playstation but the Xbox and Wii U have some excellent fitness "games".
  • mlp2004
    mlp2004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've just started using Leslie Sansone Walk away the pounds at home DVD's and I'm enjoying them. I've found a couple on youtube but have also bought a couple. One is a 5 day DVD and it was only $7 so not bad and it has a different workout for each day. I'm on day 4 and am enjoying them.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The library is an awesome resource, and can help keep you from getting bored. The BeFit channel on YouTube, Fitnessblender.com and blogilates.com are all fantastic as week.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Got a smart phone? Download Nike Training Club - free app loaded with over 100 workouts from 15-45 minutes long. Easy to mix and match, and they just recently upgraded the app to include 4 week programs that are easy to follow. http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/womens-training/apps/nike-training-club

Also check out Fitness Blender - free workout vids, great variety there too. http://www.fitnessblender.com/

Both have workouts that use weights/dumbbells, but many with just body weight as well. Good stuff.
  • JenWhite4022
    JenWhite4022 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like the Leslie Sansone 'walk away the pounds' dvd's. They are simple to follow and they have low and high impact options. Plus they are pretty cheap (like $9 at Walmart). The gets some weights to add strength training to help boost your metabolism.
  • ellenmg
    ellenmg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I really love the EA Sports Active 2 for the PS3.
    Also, have a Jillian Michael's kettlebell workout that's great.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    The library is an awesome resource, and can help keep you from getting bored. The BeFit channel on YouTube, Fitnessblender.com and blogilates.com are all fantastic as week.

Fitness blender is my favorite! I like the set up and how you choose what program your looking for, strength training, cardio, combo of both...

I do have Jillian 30 day shred. Got through level one. Did one day of level 2. Definitely a quick and rigorous workout. Just didn't finish because wanting to focus more on strength training but definitely recommend.

Oh Jillian 30 day level one is free on youtube if wanting to check it out.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    YouTube has a ton of workouts. I like Fitness Blender, Xhit Daily, BeFit. You can also find Jillian Michaels workouts on YouTube as well. I use those sites as well as Kathy Coffey-Meyers 30 Minutes Fitness Weights and Muscle Definition dvds, Jari Love's Ripped to the Core dvd. On days I can't walk outside, I'll find a cardio workout on YouTube or use one of my old Firm dvds. There are a lot of free workouts online. The important thing is just to start somewhere!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I just bought three different Biggest Loser workout DVDs on Ebay. They're tough, but I'm sure that's the point :)
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I just recently got into using a workout called daily workout AP. Its on my kindle and you can pick the amount of time you want to workout. It was a free AP.
  • Shannon_H
    Options
    Check out bodyrock.tv. Amazing stuff on there!
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I second the Jillian Michaels videos. I've done the 30 day shred and Ripped in 30 (just starting Ripped again). When its nice, put the kiddo in the stroller and go for a walk. I've been doing C25k when its warmer than 20* ;). I'm a SAHM, but my kids are both in school now. I simply cannot afford a gym membership right now.
  • ottersmommie
    Options
    I use the daily burn website and I love it...you set the time limit you wanna work out for the type of trainer you are looking for and what level you are at in your workouts and it is catered to you. I love the fact that the people who are used in these videos are real people...bigger people, older,. coming back from injury. Not saying the ones in the other programs aren't real...I can actually relate to the people in these videos because they look like me. THe first 30 days are free and then after that it is only ten a month. You can play the videos from a tablet, from your computer, or through the xbox. I use my tablet and it works perfectly. Good luck!