Cereal...

Options
Hey guys. I'm a 20 year old 5'9 145 pound male doing the month 2 circuit of insanity plus extra exercises 6 days a week. I had been following a strict diet for the last few months, but since I've been home for the holidays I've had one major craving that I haven't been able to contain: CEREAL.
I never lost control and went all out on desserts or anything like that during the holidays, but there have been multiple nights where I've had 3-4 bowls of cereal. I try to eat cereal with lower sugar amounts, but I haven't been able to resist throwing in some of the bad stuff (frosted flakes, vanilla chex, etc.). I'm burning around 1000 calories with my workout routine each day, and I'm just curious if that is enough to override my increased cereal intake? I don't want to have rapid weight gain.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    What, your looking to lose weight?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I'm a 20 year old 5'9 145 pound male doing the month 2 circuit of insanity plus extra exercises 6 days a week. I had been following a strict diet for the last few months, but since I've been home for the holidays I've had one major craving that I haven't been able to contain: CEREAL.
    I never lost control and went all out on desserts or anything like that during the holidays, but there have been multiple nights where I've had 3-4 bowls of cereal. I try to eat cereal with lower sugar amounts, but I haven't been able to resist throwing in some of the bad stuff (frosted flakes, vanilla chex, etc.). I'm burning around 1000 calories with my workout routine each day, and I'm just curious if that is enough to override my increased cereal intake? I don't want to have rapid weight gain.

When you add the cereal in to your total calorie intake for the day, are you still below your calorie goal for the day? If so, then you should be fine. If you are above your goal, then if you continue the trend, you will gain weight. When you get the urge for cereal, try doing some light exercise instead to take your mind off of it. Or only have one bowl of cereal. Even if you are craving it, you should be able to keep yourself to one bowl.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    as long as you are measuring/weighing and logging, and staying within your calorie goals, you should be fine.

I don' buy that stuff because i know that it will immediately turn into a snacky thing and my son and i can polish off a box in a day. so we just don't. On the rare occasions that we go to a hotel or something, he goes all out (he makes layers of different types:laugh: )
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    cereal is also my downfall, the only solution ive found is to stop buying it and have porridge instead. its quite impossible to eat 3-4 bowls of warm porridge without being sick i think.
  • SGTRizzuto
    SGTRizzuto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If cereal is your weakness then dont have it in the house, do go near the isles at the grocery store and avoid it and you will have nothing to worry about.
  • cspencer37
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight, just trying to maintain/add some muscle. I've lost a little over 30 pounds since Easter. As far as logging and counting calories, I haven't been doing that lately because I'm not sure what my daily intake should be. The trend lately has been that I eat light during the day (1500 calories or less id say) then add the cereal at the end of the day..
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight, just trying to maintain/add some muscle. I've lost a little over 30 pounds since Easter. As far as logging and counting calories, I haven't been doing that lately because I'm not sure what my daily intake should be. The trend lately has been that I eat light during the day (1500 calories or less id say) then add the cereal at the end of the day..

How do you expect to add muscle if you aren't counting calories? You need to make sure you are eating enough calories to allow your body to build muscle. If you are eating at a deficit, you won't be able to.
  • itsjosiebitch
    itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cereal is my favorite food. I actually did lose weight by eating cereal. Then, I decided to swtich to oatmeal because its healthier and more filling. This is what happened: I was never happy because I always wanted cereal and since we didn't have any, I ended up eating too many cookies which we always have in the house so I actually I haven't lost weight. I just started buying cereal again and measuring out like two servings (A serving of kix is 1 1/4 cup for 110 cals so 2 servings of 2 cups and a half is only 220 cals- 70 cals of my oatmeal but it satisfies craving for something crunchy and creamy) Its easier to stick to your diet if you enjoy what you're eating. I love the convenience of cereal and it stops me from eating other bad foods like cookies and chips so it works for me. I actually like it better than cookies, etc. When I eat oatmeal, I would always have a craving for it later in the day and 9/10 I would give into bad stuff.