That Unsettling Feeling Won't Go Away

Options
I know this doesn't sound very healthy but it's truly the state of my mind from time to time. I have wanted to be thin all my life but I have been able to reach that goal. I am within the normal range but on the higher end per BMI (I know BMI is lame, ok). Anyway, I have always watched my calories, exercise routinely, lifting, running, walking, yoga, whatever I can, but I always have this bad feeling on the back of my head that if I stop doing what I am doing, I will gain weight, and become overweight...I am so afraid of stepping on the scale and finding out I am heavier than yesterday, last month or last year...

Anyway I know this is not healthy but don't know what to do. I talked to professional as well but there was much help there...so you see I am very stuck.

anybody else feels the same way? and how do you cope with it?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I feel so exhausted from counting calories, and watching the labels...thinking why I am not losing weight...
  • Mizeri
    Mizeri Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm in the same place you are right now. I had just reached my goal weight before Christmas and when Christmas Break was over I had gained two pounds! It sucked because I know actually get anxiety from the thought of doing anything that allows me to not stick to my normal routine. The best way I found to cope was to tell a friend and have them tell me when I'm being obsessive or not. It even got to the point that my roommate hid my scale because I would get depressed if I weighed myself and there was even the slightest fluctuation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well it's because it's partly true. If you stop being so active and don't decrease your food intake, you WILL gain weight. It's a fact. It actually sounds pretty healthy that you're aware of it.
  • albayin
    Options
    Well it's because it's partly true. If you stop being so active and don't decrease your food intake, you WILL gain weight. It's a fact. It actually sounds pretty healthy that you're aware of it.

thank you for your reply. :) the thing is I feel very tired of watching my calories all the time...But if I slip, I have to deal with the frustration and my fear of gaining weight worsens. I can't stay on top of this stuff all the time and slip does happen. :( I have a few days when I decide to just eat normal, not counting calories but of course, the consequence makes me sadder. I think I am in depression...
  • albayin
    Options
    I'm in the same place you are right now. I had just reached my goal weight before Christmas and when Christmas Break was over I had gained two pounds! It sucked because I know actually get anxiety from the thought of doing anything that allows me to not stick to my normal routine. The best way I found to cope was to tell a friend and have them tell me when I'm being obsessive or not. It even got to the point that my roommate hid my scale because I would get depressed if I weighed myself and there was even the slightest fluctuation.

I hear you. :( I believe I am obsessed, seriously.
  • megpumpkin
    Options
    Oh honey, you're not alone. I promise.

This might be unpopular to say around here (this is a weight- loss forum after all) but you are not your weight. Even if you get heavier, you are still a person of value and worth and you'll never lose that, no matter what the scale says. It's taken me a long time to learn that and I still struggle with it, but I promise you, you are not alone.
  • albayin
    Options
    And I know I shouldn't compare myself to others at any time. But believe me when you are around of a group of size 0s, it's getting hard to keep cool head...I belong to a culture group in which most women are small and thin, US 00 or xxs is too big for them...Now you see how I feel...
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am constantly feeling that way and stress over the obvious correct choices but this is so I can live & be healthy with type one diabetes close to 30 years.....
  • albayin
    Options
    I am constantly feeling that way and stress over the obvious correct choices but this is so I can live & be healthy with type one diabetes close to 30 years.....

I feel for you and happy for you to make the right choice...

However, sometimes I wonder if I feel I suffer so much being obsessed with food and exercise, does that override the hope of a long healthy life? At some point, life is no joy for me....