Mildly worried about skin sagging...any advice?

Options
I am 25 years old, and weigh 245 lbs. My first large goal is to weigh 180 lbs. At this point, I have lost 10 lbs. I have been carrying this extra weight for at least 5-6 years, and I don't remember the last time I saw the 100's. I am concerned (not overly) about how resilient my skin will be to bounce back, I carry most of my weight in my stomach. Anyone in a similar situation to mine have any issues, or tips on how to combat this? (Other than combining strength training in addition to cardio)

Replies

• dobojs
    dobojs Posts: 2
    Options
    With my first pregnancy I lost 28 pounds and I did farrels extreme body shaping to lose those pounds. I looked great because this training consisted of 6 day work out 45 minutes, mon, wens, fri we did resistant bands training which was great for toning and building muscle tues, thurs, sat we did kick boxing and that lots of cardio. I had amazing stomach no saging skin anywhere. one of my friends did lose also 30 pounds after her first baby she did mild excrecise no muscle training she did have lot of loose skin, but this also might depend on your body. My suggestion is take few classes a week such as resistance band class. If you want to do this from home do Jillian Michaels extreme shed and shred program 4 times a week it is really hard at first but you will get use to it, this is great workout to tone your body. I got my dvd at sams $10, pretty cheap compared paying for classes. I just joined this website this past Monday but prior to this I started at 207 pounds I am at 188 now, do the classes it will help you burn even more calories.
    Hope this helps!
  • dobojs
    dobojs Posts: 2
    Options
    One more thing to add is dring lots of water because that helps with your skin resistance.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Moisturizer is your friend
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Plus you are still young so your skin will bounce back better than someone like me who was in their late 40's and lost a bunch of weight.. my skin will never tighten up without surgery.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula massaging lotion for stretch marks... Helps with elasticity (I hope). It's what I'm using. I've heard that cocoa butter works wonders.
  • FIREBALL777
    Options
    aloe vera, and even some vitamin E and A. These are all ingredients that are designed specifically to increase the collagen and elastin in your skin!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    genetics and age play a large part in this.

Stack the deck in your favor by getting lots of fluids and a good variety of fruits and vegetables - you want the variety of vitamins that your skin needs.
  • Jenn010101
    Jenn010101 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was about 250 and went down to 162 when I was 25ish and I only had stretch marks all around my hips from my previous belly bulge. I had no saggy skin though :) You'll be ok
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    genetics and age play a large part in this.

Stack the deck in your favor by getting lots of fluids and a good variety of fruits and vegetables - you want the variety of vitamins that your skin needs.

^^^^This...
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am 25 years old, and weigh 245 lbs. My first large goal is to weigh 180 lbs. At this point, I have lost 10 lbs. I have been carrying this extra weight for at least 5-6 years, and I don't remember the last time I saw the 100's. I am concerned (not overly) about how resilient my skin will be to bounce back, I carry most of my weight in my stomach. Anyone in a similar situation to mine have any issues, or tips on how to combat this? (Other than combining strength training in addition to cardio)

I am the same way!!! I started out at 253 and I am just SO paranoid about it!! Glad you asked :)

I am mainly worried because I ALREADY have loose skin (around the breast and arm area) that doesn't seem to be shrinking and I moisturize daily, include muscle toning in my workout, and drink at least 50 oz of water a day.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Whether you get loose skin or not is mostly determined by your age, your genetics, how far the skin was stretched, and for how long. None of those factors are under your control, so i wouldn't worry too much about it. It would be great if creams & lotions could shrink skin, but i doubt they can. Focus on losing the weight soon, while you are still young.