How to eat more?

Options
Ever since creating an account on myfitnesspal and keeping track of my macros, I have started eating a lot more, which is great because I really want to gain muscle. However, I still have times and days where I don't have much of an appetite. The worst feeling is when I'm not hungry, but I'm not starving either. I can and should eat more in these situations, but that means that I'll have to stop what I'm doing and either make food or buy some. I just wanted to hear your guys' tips on how to eat more. I am going to list some of my ways, and the pros and cons of each one.

1. Smoke ganja

Pros:

- gives you the munchies
- relaxes you

Cons:

- you can't always be high!

2. Exercising

Pros:

- makes you hungry
- healthy as well

Cons:

- burn calories that must then be replaced
- sometimes, you don't feel hungry after exercising (e.g., get that "not hungry, but not starving feeling), though you know that you should still eat anyways (because you need to buff)!
- takes time

3. Drink liquids such as milk, juice, beer, smoothies, milkshakes, protein shakes, soups

Pros:

- most of these items taste good
- easier to consume because don't really give you that "full" feeling
- convenient, because you can do a lot of activities while drinking (e.g, walking, studying)

Cons:

- better to get your macros from whole foods (don't know if this is actually scientifically proven - can anyone prove or disprove this)?

4. Force food down your stomach

Pros:

- you get closer, or reach, your macro goals
- sometimes, you think you can't eat more, but once you start eating, you find out that you can, in fact, eat more

Cons:

- gag reflex

5. Carry around granola bars and fruits

Pros:

- quick, convenient way to sneak in macros

Cons:

- granola bars taste gross after a while

6. Carry a cooler

Pros:

- portable food that is better tasting than granola bars

Cons:

- annoying to carry a cooler around with you

Replies

• pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?

If you want to gain muscle there are basically 2 things to do: 1. Lift weights and 2. Eat in a surplus.
    We could give you advise on both of these points, but that would be rather pointless without knowing exactly what your goals, your exercise routine and intake details. So please tell us more so we can help you better.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and 138.3 lbs. 19 years of age. My goal is to gain at least 2 lbs muscle a month. Recently, I have started Stronglifts and am a couple weeks in. Myfitnesspal generated the following macro goal for me:

Daily required calories: 2,430
    Daily required carbohydrates: 334
    Daily required fat: 81
    Daily required protein: 91
    Daily required sodium: 2,500
    Daily required sugar: 49

I have been keeping up in reaching my macro goal, just thought it would be cool to make a post on ways to eat more, since I know I have a problem with this sometimes, especially on days where I am always on the run, and on sober days, where I just simply don't feel like eating.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    One thing you didn't mention is eating more calorie dense foods. When someone is restricting calories and hungry, they learn which foods are low in calories but will fill them up. You need to do the opposite. Eat things that are calorie dense (usually means higher in fat) like eggs, cheese, avocados, nuts, nut butters, full fat yoghurt, olive oil, mayonnaise. When you eat meat, or pasta, or bread, just add a bit extra to your portion size. Instead of skinless chicken breasts, eat skin on chicken thighs, instead of tuna steaks (or additionally), eat salmon steaks. Avoid anything labelled "low fat" or "diet" or "lite". If you're not wedded to eating "clean", then the world's your oyster - chocolate, ice cream, cookies, donuts etc.

Honestly, 2,430 is not a huge amount. Given your stats, I highly doubt you will gain any weight eating that amount.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking your macros are off. More protein.

And you forgot

- Eat calorie dense foods

---
    Whole foods can be made into smoothies. Best of both worlds.
    When you eat components(ex. Whey protein) of whole foods you lose out on the stuff science
    doesn't know about yet. But, if you are already hitting your micros elsewhere using supplements
    helps hitting the macros.
  • googlebear123
    Options
    more protein not necescarry, tracking macros not really necessary tbh. just eat lad, 19 years and 138lb. you'll grow like a weed.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and 138.3 lbs. 19 years of age. My goal is to gain at least 2 lbs muscle a month. Recently, I have started Stronglifts and am a couple weeks in. Myfitnesspal generated the following macro goal for me:

I have been keeping up in reaching my macro goal, just thought it would be cool to make a post on ways to eat more, since I know I have a problem with this sometimes, especially on days where I am always on the run, and on sober days, where I just simply don't feel like eating.
    Good to hear that you started Stronglifts, with that you already have half of the equition covered.

As the others mentioned, eating more calorie dense food will make it easier to get the needed calories in. I also agree that protein seems rather low in your current settings.
    That said I must say I agree with googlebear123 about the tracking your intake and macro's. Are you sure you want to do that in this phase of your life? Eating sandwhiches with peanutbutter whenever hungry and drinking lots of whole milk will probably make you grow like a weed anyway. And that without the added hassle of tracking. Just think about it...
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Having a designated meal prep day for the week was honestly the best thing I ever did regarding my diet. I cook up about 7 lbs of chicken breast and 5 lbs of ground turkey breast, bake like 10 sweet potatoes and cook up several cups worth of quinoa or brown rice and then portion it out into Tupperware and freeze them/put them in the refrigerator. Then as long as you have 5 minutes and access to a microwave you have no excuse for not getting healthy meals in. Makes bulking a lot easier when all you have to do is heat something up rather than take the time to cook full meals every 2-3 hrs.

Besides that the name of the game is lean protein, complex carbohydrates and mono/polyunsaturated fats. Ezekiel bread, almond/cashew/peanut butter, lentils, quinoa, brown rice are all great ways to up your calorie intake in a healthy way. If you have to resort to fast food to get your calories you just aren't planning your meals well enough. Bulking with clean foods will leave you leaner in the end and you'll just feel better not eating fast food crap anyways
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Having a designated meal prep day for the week was honestly the best thing I ever did regarding my diet. I cook up about 7 lbs of chicken breast and 5 lbs of ground turkey breast, bake like 10 sweet potatoes and cook up several cups worth of quinoa or brown rice and then portion it out into Tupperware and freeze them/put them in the refrigerator. Then as long as you have 5 minutes and access to a microwave you have no excuse for not getting healthy meals in. Makes bulking a lot easier when all you have to do is heat something up rather than take the time to cook full meals every 2-3 hrs.

Besides that the name of the game is lean protein, complex carbohydrates and mono/polyunsaturated fats. Ezekiel bread, almond/cashew/peanut butter, lentils, quinoa, brown rice are all great ways to up your calorie intake in a healthy way. If you have to resort to fast food to get your calories you just aren't planning your meals well enough. Bulking with clean foods will leave you leaner in the end and you'll just feel better not eating fast food crap anyways

In Derns other thread, it was clear that he was going to try and eat 3000 cals a day of higher calorie food as he can't really do volume. As long as he eats 500 cals over a day and hits his protein targets (110-120g) it doesn't matter whether his food is clean or dirty. What will leave him leaner in the end is not overeating, being organised enough to track his calories and heavy lifting.
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    "On sober days" sounds like you're not actually committed to health. At 19 your brain is still a work in progress; more muscle might be a good thing, but muscles are way sexier with some intelligence to lead them around. Take care of your brain while you're working on your brawn.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    "On sober days" sounds like you're not actually committed to health. At 19 your brain is still a work in progress; more muscle might be a good thing, but muscles are way sexier with some intelligence to lead them around. Take care of your brain while you're working on your brawn.

^^^^ exactly!
  • tamerakpolat
    tamerakpolat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try protein shakes mixed with extra fine oats, I find it as an easy way to get extra calories in and you don`t need much of an appetite, treat it as a drink
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Honestly, 2,430 is not a huge amount. Given your stats, I highly doubt you will gain any weight eating that amount.

This. you are barely eating 500 cals more than tiny little me! (and I am already in a deficit)
  • deepgrind
    Options
    one and a half years ago I started at 121 pounds since then i've bulked up to a max of 176 pounds and now i'm cutting down to 164 pounds. In the end it all comes down to dedication and consistency. Try to find out your macro needs for bulking then get a solid workout program. In the beginning it'll be very hard to get enough macros in. I'd recommend starting more fluid based protein sources, like eggs, cottage cheese in the beginning. Afterwards getting used to that for awhile shifting to solid proteins from lean meats will add up very easily to your daily protein needs. Carbs are the easiest and cheapest to get in. Spaghetti, potatoes, rice in my country they're extremely cheap. Fats usually come from healthy nuts, seafood, meats. Now you don't have to eat clean every single day. You can obviously try IIFYM or incorporate at least one cheat day in a week.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Given that you already have the sufficient answers to your question, I would only say that you cannot eat more that what your body allows. A small word of advice, three full meals and two snacks in between them is good. If you want to gain weight, try banana shake with or without chocolate. That is sure to help.
  • deepgrind
    Options
    Last try to divide your foods into more meals in a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Two pounds of muscle per month is probably not going to be very realistic unless you have some pretty good genetics. At any rate, it's going to take more than 2,430 calories I'd wager. I'm oldish (pushing 40) @ 5'10" and 180 Lbs and I maintain right around 2800. I need at least 3000-3200 for a good bulk.

I would also up that protein goal...what's you BF%. If you're trying to bulk on muscle you should be shooting for around 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM. When I was your age I weighed about the same @ roughly 8-10% BF which meant my LBM was around 128 Lbs.

Just eat more calorie dense foods. Not everything has to be "clean"...

Also, while SL 5x5 is a good program, it is a strength program rather than a hypertrophy program. That rep range works best for optimizing actual strength and CNS adaptation, not really putting on mass. If you're new to weight training I would stick with it for awhile though and build up a solid foundation of raw strength...your future hypertrophy program will be better with a solid foundation of strength.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    He can eat mcdonalds if he wants but it's his body he's trashing, not mine. What good is bulking and gaining muscle if your body has to rot on the inside to get there.
  • anassuhaimi
    Options
    go to nutritiondata.self.com and find foods ranked least satisfying.

the data there is very detailed... for each food it even have scores for suitability with weight gaining purpose.

my goal to is to loose weight, I need to reduce my rice portion but afraid I will be hungry not long after having a meal. So I decided to look for foods that is low in calories but very satisfying (and if possible, cheap too) and I found out at nutritiondata.self.com one of those food is water spinach which is my favourite and I don't mind eating a ton of em... and not only it's cheap, it grows wild everywhere where I live.

So for your case, find one that's least satisfying but high and calories instead.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options

This. you are barely eating 500 cals more than tiny little me! (and I am already in a deficit)

So I should be aiming to eat 3000 a day. And on a lifting day, I should be aiming for 3500?
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Google GOMAD