Starting with just walking...

Options
2»

Replies

• TEZofAllTrades
    TEZofAllTrades Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm starting with walking too. Actually went to the gym for the 1st time recently, didn't wear me out like I thought but I think it's too soon at the moment because it was so painful. Walking home from work burns 220 cals for me so I'm sticking with that until it becomes easy.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25kg by just walking, it's a great start and when it's too easy you can start interval training!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    22.2 pounds just walking... Do want you can maintain over the long term, you can always walk - you can't always go to the gym, go to classes, have the room to work out at home - you can walk anywhere, anytime and it needs no fancy gear.
  • befitnow3
    befitnow3 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is real life good info. All the exercise fiends on here make you feel like you will get nowhere without those mega calories lost on their fancy machines. Don't be disheartened. Walking is truly the best exercise!
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This is real life good info. All the exercise fiends on here make you feel like you will get nowhere without those mega calories lost on their fancy machines. Don't be disheartened. Walking is truly the best exercise!
    I so agree! There are some who get rather smug with replying. Tell you that this machine is better or that tape is better.
    We each need to find what is best. Also if you never truly exercise before, do something that's easy to start with a build from that. Walking is a great foundation to start living better.
    I'm proud to say that out of my 40lb loss that along with clean eating, walking is my exercise 99% of the time and it's doing excellent!
  • janekocanpayne
    janekocanpayne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The words "just" and "only" shouldn't be in your sentences - any form of exercise is good, and the fact that you're starting out with something that you know you can do demonstrates a willingness to continue and take on harder work as you get fitter. If you started out too hard you'd only lose motivation because it was too hard, or worse, injure yourself.Take it at your own pace and when you feel ready to increase the intensity/distance/speed, do so.
    Good luck!
  • ktroeloffs
    ktroeloffs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been part of a health challenge for two weeks and have been making strides towards better health in 2014. It has been encouraging to read the posts on walking because that is what I have planned for exercise to help reach my goals this year. Reading these posts remind me the value of building walking in to my life for the future.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Walking is fabulous exercise it is how I lost what I have lost
    when it is too nasty to walk outside I pace my kitchen or I use the Leslie Sansone walking videos on youtube
    mostly I just walk around town
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Walking is the only exercise I do so far. Seems to be working well for me.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have asthma too. A technique for 'relaxing' my chest that works for me is to dropping my jaw. Doesn't look elegant, but it works.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm an asthmatic that likes to run half marathons. I was the girl who wasn't allowed to run the mile in gym class for fear that it would set off an attack and land me in the hospital. Turns out picking up running was the best thing i ever did for my asthma.

it took 2 attempts at c25k over a year and a half before i was able to get from 2 or 3 mins of running to running 5k in 40 mins. I kept getting sick and run down, but once it finally took, my lungs got stronger. I can now run 5k in 26:04, a half marathon in just over 2 hours and i happily do long runs of 10-15 miles every week. And the best part? I was able to stop taking my daily inhaled steroid.

Start with walking, once you can walk 30 mins without stopping 3 times a week, move on to c25k, once you finish that, do a beginner 5k program and see how you progress from there.