Exercising on an empty stomach?

So today, I went to Zumba and bunt over 1000 calories. I didn't eat anything prior because I was in a rush. Ive heard that exercising on an empty stomach burns more fat because there are no carbs to burn.

Is this true?

Thanks
Alex. :happy:

Replies

• jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Not sure, but I workout on an empty stomach everyday... I don't burn 1000 cals though. I sure would love to know this answer also.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I also exercise on an empty stomach when I workout early in the morning. I don't do it for any other reason than it makes me sick to my stomach if there is food in it.

You burned 1000 cals doing Zumba? What Zumba is it?!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    At best some research shows about a 5% difference. Generally the research is neutral.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I get up and run on a empty stomach in the morning. It doesn't bother me but I do wonder if a snack would help start the calorie burn faster or make no difference.
  • 1000 calories! Wow . I exercise on an empty stomach because i just can't exercise if I've eaten something..
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Old school says u r right.

New school of thought is u need carbs for energy to do Zumba.

Try it both ways. Take notes for your self.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Not fueling before I train has a noticeable effect on my performance. Notwithstanding the slower speed I burn out very quickly as well.
  • I use my Polar FT4. Zumba in my opinion is the best way to lose weight, especially 1000 calories in an hour. Keep up the good work.

:smile:
  • gem5639
    gem5639 Posts: 90
    Usually best to eat before workouts, but as long as you have enough time to digest prior to starting workout. Body will use any excess sugars/carbs, but if not in surplus then it will be eating in to muscle for energy..
  • I also exercise on an empty stomach when I workout early in the morning. I don't do it for any other reason than it makes me sick to my stomach if there is food in it.

You burned 1000 cals doing Zumba? What Zumba is it?!

Its intense zumba. Love it
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    At best some research shows about a 5% difference. Generally the research is neutral.

QFT

Best practice is whatever works best for you, and that you'll do consistently for the long haul. Some people get sick if they eat beforehand. Others bonk if they don't have at least a preliminary snack.

YMMV
  • gem5639
    Def agree.
  • Old school says u r right.

New school of thought is u need carbs for energy to do Zumba.

Try it both ways. Take notes for your self.

As long as I'm hydrated with water, I'm good at exercising on an empty stomach. Plus what with being a choreographer, I love Zumba
  • gem5639
    Not fueling before I train has a noticeable effect on my performance. Notwithstanding the slower speed I burn out very quickly as well.

Def agree.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    I've heard both schools of thought as well. I agree with trying it out both ways and seeing what works better for you. I wouldn't stock up on breakfast and then do it, (maybe a small bite to eat with some protein for fuel would work) or you may end up losing all of your cookies when you have exerted yourself.

I'm curious about the 1000 calories though. Do you know that for a fact? That's a lot of calories to burn in one session. Are you wearing a FitBit or a HR monitor, or was that a guesstimate?
  • I've heard both schools of thought as well. I agree with trying it out both ways and seeing what works better for you. I wouldn't stock up on breakfast and then do it, (maybe a small bite to eat with some protein for fuel would work) or you may end up losing all of your cookies when you have exerted yourself.

I'm curious about the 1000 calories though. Do you know that for a fact? That's a lot of calories to burn in one session. Are you wearing a FitBit or a HR monitor, or was that a guesstimate?

I was using my Polar Heart Rate Monitor.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    I've heard both schools of thought as well. I agree with trying it out both ways and seeing what works better for you. I wouldn't stock up on breakfast and then do it, (maybe a small bite to eat with some protein for fuel would work) or you may end up losing all of your cookies when you have exerted yourself.

Good work then man! Keep it up! That's killer!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    Usually best to eat before workouts, but as long as you have enough time to digest prior to starting workout. Body will use any excess sugars/carbs, but if not in surplus then it will be eating in to muscle for energy..
    Time to rehit the physiology books. It takes a lot of energy usage before muscle is used as a fuel source. The majority of people out there will have an extremely hard time depleting their glycogen stores for this to happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • I've heard both schools of thought as well. I agree with trying it out both ways and seeing what works better for you. I wouldn't stock up on breakfast and then do it, (maybe a small bite to eat with some protein for fuel would work) or you may end up losing all of your cookies when you have exerted yourself.

Good work then man! Keep it up! That's killer!

I love Zumba, the classes i teach/go to are very intense.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    Training fasted is fine. I've done it for the last 10 years and note that for me it's more an attitude adjustment than an energy adjustment. My body has adjusted to it quite well. Personally when it comes to heavy heavy lifting, I don't get that queasy feeling that I used to get even if I ate an hour or two before training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition