Fat intake

My daily goals on calorie intake are good. My question is on fat intake and sodium. On some days it's in the red. Is taking in too much fat counter acting the good. I go to the gym. I do cardio and weights.

My protein is over also.

If I'm under my calories and over on these others am I still good?

Replies

• gem5639
    gem5639 Posts: 90
    I eat 100g of good fats per day on average and lose weight... I find carbs cause my weight gain..
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    I have the exact same question. I go over on the fat percentage yet stay under my calorie goal. Is this ok or hindering my weight loss?

For weight loss, it's about the calories.
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Be careful with the mentality that going into the red on fat is always bad. There are good fats and there are bad fats, and, unfortunately, MFP does not distinguish between the two. Unsatuarted fats, both poly- and mono-unsatuarted fats are considered the "good" fats and the type your body needs. Those are found naturally in foods. Monounsaturated fats are found in oils and plants (Olives, Nuts, Seeds, Avocados). Polyunsaturated fats are the ones found in nuts and fish (sunflower oil, soybean oil, Omega-3 and -6). If you're getting most of your fat from those sources, then you shouldn't worry about going over too much. Your body does need fats to keep functioning properly. And overall, if you are hitting all your macros but still under on your calories, you should be fine, especially if you are trying to lose weight.

As for sodium, that's definitely one I would try and watch, but its not imperative to always keep that one in the green. Just don't go waaaay over on sodium - and if you do, drink plenty of water and more to flush out your system.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I eat 100g of good fats per day on average and lose weight... I find carbs cause my weight gain..

^this. MFP fat default is stupid imo. Fat is stupid low and carbs stupid high, at least for my health needs. Fat IS healthy and necessary and quality matters.

And be careful with other's views of what fats are "bad" and "good". Natural saturated fats from animals are actually the healthy ones (not just MY opinion) and refined vegetable oils mostly unhealthy, but yes we've all been brainwashed that it's the exact opposite and since then we've all gotten so slim and healthy, right? :noway:

(You know that you can change your own macro settings, right?)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    its about the calories. Good fats are healthy and protein is ideal, when lifting. If it bothers you go change your macros.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Weight loss is all about the calories.