Do you pay much attention to food categories

What I mean is do you make a big deal of tracking protein, fiber, fat etc. I try my best to keep my calorie goal and most of the time the rest falls into place. The only one which I concern myself with sometimes is sugar. I have noticed if I eat a lot of fresh fruit (for example clementines which I love) I am always over my sugar goal for the day. I cannot fully accept that eating 5 pieces of fruit a day is bad for me.

Do you rate conventional sugar different than fresh fruit sugar? Meaning, if your sugar from the day is mainly from fruit the overage is ignored.

thanks

Replies

• gem5639
    gem5639 Posts: 90
    Fruit sugar still isn't "good", fruits can be split in to categories that are high fructose and some not so high fructose - examples

High fructose - banana
    Low fructose - apricot

You can be wiser when it comes to choosing fruit... :-)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    All fruit is fine. Keep doing what you're doing, staying within your calorie allowance. Sugar doesn't make you fat... doesn't matter if it comes from fruit or from sweets. Your body can't tell the difference.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    What I mean is do you make a big deal of tracking protein, fiber, fat etc. I try my best to keep my calorie goal and most of the time the rest falls into place. The only one which I concern myself with sometimes is sugar. I have noticed if I eat a lot of fresh fruit (for example clementines which I love) I am always over my sugar goal for the day. I cannot fully accept that eating 5 pieces of fruit a day is bad for me.

Do you rate conventional sugar different than fresh fruit sugar? Meaning, if your sugar from the day is mainly from fruit the overage is ignored.

thanks
    Macros.
    I paid *some* attention to the macros when I was logging regularly. I pay *more* attention to the foods I am choosing. I try to eat nutrient dense, fiber rich fruits, vegetables and grains, and lean proteins and some dairy. MFP's macros can't show the difference between nutrient dense fruits or vegetables and a twinkie. So I do that myself.
  • gem5639
    Sugar does make you fat!! If it is not expended it is stored and turned to fat!!! Basics....
  • I tend to look at fat content and protein. I'm on high fibre drinks anyway but obviously, I'm more interested in the calories.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Sugar really doesn't matter for health and weight loss for most folks unless they have a specific medical condition (diabetes, hypoglycemia, etc.). It's just a carb. Unless the sugar is causing you to go over calories for the day, or impairing your ability to get adequate proteins while staying within caloric budget, there's no need to track it separately aside from the aforementioned pre-existing medical conditions.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member

thanks

I do my best to meet my goals for protein and fat because my body needs them the most. I end up getting enough carbs without trying. I have to put in effort to get enough fiber and I'm currently looking for ways to improve my fiber intake. But yes, I pay attention to my macros (food categories). The body needs the protein to build new cells and support muscles. It needs the fat for hormone regulation (I think. . .) and to support organ functions.

I do not rate any sugar differently. The chemical makeup of sugar in fruit and sugar in cakes are identical. Sugar really is sugar. I try to limit the sugar I get from candy and whatnot only because I'd rather get the vitamins in the fruits and I'd like to get enough carbs from fiber. I don't avoid any foods though and I usually have some kind of chocolate or cookies or wine or something daily. If I had a medical condition that was negatively affected by sugar or if diabetes ran rampant throughout my family, I would be watching my sugar. But that is not the case so I took it off of my macros that I track because it always goes over. ALWAYS. And chocolate is delicious.
  • HappyStack
    If it is not expended it is stored and turned to fat!!! Basics....

This applies to carbs, protein, fats... sugar in and of itself doesn't make you fat. Too many calories for your activity level makes you fat.

Basics.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Sugar does make you fat!! If it is not expended it is stored and turned to fat!!! Basics....

I think what they mean is that sugar by itself while eating at a deficit does not make you fat. If you eat more protein, fat, carbs, etc. than your body is expending. . . that is, if you eat ANY calories more than your body is using, it will be stored as fat.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    I don't "rate" sugar at all. Eat a deficit and hit your macros. Worry about sugar IF you have a medical reason to do so. Otherwise, it's not going to impact your weight loss.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    I pay a lot of attention to fiber, just because bad icky things tend to happen when I'm not getting the right amount. That's just something I've learned about myself over many year, even before I was trying to lose weight.

I do pay attention to the other macros, I try to be mindful about getting protein. But if it doesn't come out quite right, I don't get concerned about that. Over the course of a whole week, it tends to end up pretty close to where I want it.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    I'm mostly concerned with getting enough protein. I don't really pay attention to carbs or fat, though sometimes I have to remind myself that I need SOME fat since I tend to go for lowfat/nonfat alternatives whenever possible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I track my macros, I do not micromanage micronutrients like sugar. I'm more concerned with the macro level carbohydrate than sugar as a subset. I first and foremost try to get in my 0.9 to 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM and roughly .30 grams of fat per Lb of body mass...then my carbs. I try to get as much vitamin and mineral nutrition as possible from my diet so I eat a lot of veggies and a serving or two of fruit daily. Other than fruit and veg, my carbs are largely made up of whole grains, oats, seeds, legumes, starches like potato/sweet potato/corn, etc. as well as pastas and various rice varieties. I don't eat much in the way of "junk" food...a little here and there, but it's not a substantial part of my diet. I generally steer clear of commercial baked goods.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Just so you can get used to the terminology, nutrients come in two categories: macronutrients (macros: fat, protein, and carbohydrates), and micronutrients (micros: everything else, including fiber, sugar, vitamin C, etc.). :drinker:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

Um, the "basics" are: sugar is a carb. Unless you are diabetic (or have some other insulin/carb resistant malady), then the carbs are used first. As such, sugar is the least likely nutrient that is stored as fat.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I track my macros and do my best to hit them. Protein is my number one priority, followed by fat, and I try to stay at or below my carb goal. I also don't track sugar at all. Instead, I track my fiber to make sure I'm getting enough, and I track my sodium to give me some insight into potential water retention.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    I track my macros and my calories simply just fall into place.
  • gem5639

Um, the "basics" are: sugar is a carb. Unless you are diabetic (or have some other insulin/carb resistant malady), then the carbs are used first. As such, sugar is the least likely nutrient that is stored as fat.

But if you want to achieve "fat loss" then it's best to reduce carb (and therefore sugar) so the body then takes fat as your source of energy, therefore burns fat first cos it doesn't have carbs/sugars to burn, hence then losing pure fat!
  • HappyStack
    It just never ends.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    I didn't at the beginning. Now calories are still king: if I want to have a day of all carbs, I will. But most days I try go over on protein and fiber and under on carbs and sugar. Fat I try to be close to the target. A little under or over is fine, but if it's a high fat day I think it's better to be sure it's because I had a lot of healthy fats.