Information Overload Frustration ~insert RAWR here~

Options
I am getting more and more frustrated by the day the more I try to find the "right way" to get healthy. I am on information overload and when you put it all together it seems everyone is wrong!
This article or this website or this person says THIS is the right way to get fit and not two seconds later you find something that opposes exactly what they say is right.
Cardio? Good, Bad
Carbs? Good, Bad
Breakfast? Good, Bad
Interval Training, Strength Training, Calorie Intake......is there anything that across the board fitness experts agree on???
I just want to lose weight and get healthy, is it really this complicated?!?!?!

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    If losing weight is the goal, a calorie deficit is all you need to achieve it. You can do this with all types of foods. (and meal timing is personal preference) Exercise is for fitness, so do something that you enjoy and will align with your goals.

eta:
    Read this link and all of the links in it: (I know.....more information, but it is a great place to start and clarify some things for you)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    No, it is not complicated. Eat at a reasonable deficit and hit your macros. If you want to exercise, do whatever suits your fancy, because you will likely stick to it.

If you have a specific goal in mind, that is when the details become important.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You can't get better advice than the above.
  • Cracken99
    Cracken99 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My friend and I just had this conversation last night! Organic, no carbs at night, low fat, high fat....UGHHH. I just decided to focus on calories in/calories out for right now, otherwise I way overthink it and land up paralyzed by no knowing what to do. Yes I try to eat organic when I can, I keep my carbs lower at night, I exercise because how can that be bad for you? I also think of my weight loss journey as a process...you will find out what works for you as you go through this. Like right now I am finding that all the veggies I am eating is tearing me up!! Hopefully my body will adjust.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    A lot of individuals have found what works for them - so they believe their way is the only way. It is really about finding out what works for you. Try something for a month, and if it you need to - switch it up...which usually you will have to do anyway.

If you are just starting out - I would really focus on logging, and keeping at your CALORIE goal (dont worry about fat, carbs, protein). Then, eventually - start adding in your work outs, even if its 30 mins 3x a week. Then eat according.

When in doubt, just do what MFP tells you to do.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    To be honest you can still lose weight without hitting your macros.

I did several times in the past without knowing anything about macros until coming on this website. Before coming on here I already lost a majority of my weight this is displayed below on my ticker.

Just eat a calorie deficit if seeking to lose weight.

If wanting to exercise do what you want. If you want to do cardio then do that. If you want to do strength training, do that as well. You want to do both then do that.

Depends on your goals.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If losing weight is the goal, a calorie deficit is all you need to achieve it. You can do this with all types of foods. (and meal timing is personal preference) Exercise is for fitness, so do something that you enjoy and will align with your goals.

eta:
    Read this link and all of the links in it: (I know.....more information, but it is a great place to start and clarify some things for you)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920

^ This is a great start.

Personally, I'd prioritize as follows:

(1) stay within your calorie goals

(2) hit your macro and fiber goals

(3) strength train

(4) do some cardio for extra calories and cardiovascular health if you want to

(5) forget everything else for at least 6-12 months and then reassess to see how you can start tweaking things
  • Hoggestabben
    Options

eta:

^ This is a great start.

Personally, I'd prioritize as follows:

(1) stay within your calorie goals

(2) hit your macro and fiber goals

(3) strength train

(4) do some cardio for extra calories and cardiovascular health if you want to

(5) forget everything else for at least 6-12 months and then reassess to see how you can start tweaking things

This will help you to loose weight and to stay healthy.

This is something you can do for years....

The diets you mention is not something many people can do long- term.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    I am getting more and more frustrated by the day the more I try to find the "right way" to get healthy. I am on information overload and when you put it all together it seems everyone is wrong!
    This article or this website or this person says THIS is the right way to get fit and not two seconds later you find something that opposes exactly what they say is right.
    Cardio? Good, Bad
    Carbs? Good, Bad
    Breakfast? Good, Bad
    Interval Training, Strength Training, Calorie Intake......is there anything that across the board fitness experts agree on???
    I just want to lose weight and get healthy, is it really this complicated?!?!?!
    this is whats worked for me
    Cardio-GOOD, I do about 1/2 cardio, 1/2 strength
    Carbs-Good, just try to keep them within your goal
    Breakfast-if your hungry, eat it, if not dont, I normaly eat maybe about 10am because thats when I start feeling hungry
    Calories- I eat 1550 plus exercise sometimes, depends how hungry I am

its alot to take in all at once but just start with the basics and move from there
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ... is it really this complicated?!?!?!
    You can make it less complicated. Eat at a moderate calorie deficit. Find an exercise routine that you can maintain on a regular basis. Simple.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I find myself becoming overwhelmed time to time with it and I've been doing it for a year. I only joined the site a few months ago but the information you get can really help you. I suggest you take the information, experiment and come back with how you managed it.