Long-term injury!

Options
This year I am very determined to lose some weight (around 40lbs is my goal)! However, along with healthy eating obviously comes some exercise. But, my main problem is that about a year ago I tore the cartilage in my right knee. I have had operations and what not on it, but it is still very weak and not fully mended. This means I struggle with jogging for 20 minutes let alone anything more :( I feel like it is really holding me back. It just becomes very painful and my knee can sometimes just lock and swell completely for a few days at a time.

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas in order for me to overcome this? Apart from going back to the hospital, I have been many times and like I said, this has been going on for a year now, I can't afford to lose another year!

Thank you!

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Some things do drag on, we have something similar in my family.

What I really want to share with you. The only benefit of jogging is you use the calories up more quickly! in principle anyway. If and only you know if it will work better, try walking the same distance, it may put less stress through your joint. Someone will probably disagree but do what you can when you can and strength will improve.

all the very best
  • amybradsx
    Options
    Ah, thank you! I might try walking to start with, I suppose strength is a big factor! No point in stretching yourself too far too quickly.

Slow and steady wins the race is what they say! Lol.
  • McChane1
    Options
    I broke my ankle over a year ago and I have been thinking the same thing, "will I ever run again?" A couple weeks ago I gave up on the idea that I will run and I started walking. I realize it takes a little longer per workout but walking is making my ankle stronger and burning calories. I hope over time I will be able to run but if not I will become a "fast walker" and live with that fact.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym with an Arc Trainer? It's low impact and reported to be easier on the knees than an elliptical.

I recently tried one because I had to put off running because of an old back injury and lupus and am not happy about only being able to walk. The Arc trainer really gets your heart rate going and I felt no stress on my back or joints. I could only do 10 minutes at a time because it is intense and you really feel the burn in your thighs. I think I'm going to stick with it for awhile and build up my time and resistance.
  • amybradsx
    Options
    Thanks snowbear, I might look into that then!

And yea, walking is definitely on the cards now. Need to get some strength back into it!
  • ironman1431
    ironman1431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If your knee is still locking it sounds like there still may be some meniscal issues present, even post op? My suggestion is as follows:

1. Use a foam roller to release your quads-there's likely some tightness in them that can compress the femur upon the tiba-causing irritation in the joint
    2. Knee issues often stream from hip weakness, you may require strengthening for gluteus medius (clamshells etc.)
    3. Strengthen your affected leg by doing 1 leg balancing exercises, mini squats/mini lunges, but don't go too deep to avoid excess pressure on the meniscus.
    4. Try non load bearing cardio exercises for your knee-recumbent bike, swimming (flutter kick only, not butterfly), water running, light walking.
    5. Seek the help/advice of a health professional.
    6. Post op menisectomy healing times vary, but generally 12 weeks or so to calm down swelling and to start rebuliding strength (provided your ACL etc, is still intact)
    7. Focus on diet. Exercise is important, no doubt, but it is more about calories consumed then calories expelled, especially at the start of a weight loss program. In other words, you can't outexercise a poor diet. However, people who are active tend to be in a better mood, are less likely to stress/impulse eat, sleep better, feel better about themselves, and thus spend more time away from or feel tempted by the fridge and junk food.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Swimming
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    deep water running with a flotation vest-takes the strain off but you can still get heart rate up!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type three and swimming is good for me. Also, anything low-impact. Strength training with lower weights (no free weights for me, I use machines so I have more support). This is something I was born with and there's no cure, so I really have to pick out exercise that I can do without dislocating or hyperextending my prone joints (all of them). I recommend physical therapy. My PT has really helped me design a low-impact exercise routine.
  • amybradsx
    Options
    If your knee is still locking it sounds like there still may be some meniscal issues present, even post op? My suggestion is as follows:

1. Use a foam roller to release your quads-there's likely some tightness in them that can compress the femur upon the tiba-causing irritation in the joint
    2. Knee issues often stream from hip weakness, you may require strengthening for gluteus medius (clamshells etc.)
    3. Strengthen your affected leg by doing 1 leg balancing exercises, mini squats/mini lunges, but don't go too deep to avoid excess pressure on the meniscus.
    4. Try non load bearing cardio exercises for your knee-recumbent bike, swimming (flutter kick only, not butterfly), water running, light walking.
    5. Seek the help/advice of a health professional.
    6. Post op menisectomy healing times vary, but generally 12 weeks or so to calm down swelling and to start rebuliding strength (provided your ACL etc, is still intact)
    7. Focus on diet. Exercise is important, no doubt, but it is more about calories consumed then calories expelled, especially at the start of a weight loss program. In other words, you can't outexercise a poor diet. However, people who are active tend to be in a better mood, are less likely to stress/impulse eat, sleep better, feel better about themselves, and thus spend more time away from or feel tempted by the fridge and junk food.

Thank you for your reply! I can feel there are still some problems within the joint, even down to it clicking and feeling like it 'sticks' when I walk. However, after the operation I was told that there was no guarantee that the cartilage would fully heel and I think this has constantly played on my mind- I'm a bit of a worrier. But, it is probably down to lack of strengthening- I am only 19 after all! Your advice is making me feel a lot more positive though, so thank you. I will definitely be taking it into consideration.
  • clairbear88
    Options
    Did you ever do physical therapy? They can help you a lot with specific exercises to help strengthen the muscles around your knee to help support it better.
  • amybradsx
    Options
    Did you ever do physical therapy? They can help you a lot with specific exercises to help strengthen the muscles around your knee to help support it better.

I did visit a physiotherapist for a few months after my operation, but I then moved away for University and was unable to be referred to another.
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Did you tear your meniscus? My mom has had several operations for this issue. I would say that you should not jog, and instead focus on no to low impact exercise. If your knee can stand the stationary bike try that. There are "chair exercise" videos that can get you through the times that you can stand. An arm bike is an option. I have a permanent foot/ankle condition that requires me to modify almost all exercise because I have pain from my foot all the way up to my back. Have you gone to physical therapy? Have you tried swimming? Make sure you run your plan by your doctor first to avoid further injury.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Pilates, ballet floor barre (you might want to still skip the plie motions), and other mat exercises also are very nice. You can make them pretty vigorous and challenging, too. Just be creative. Yoga is also awesome, but there are a lot of odd positions, so each asana depends on your particular knees. I can kneel great and lunge either very lightly or completely down (but not in between), so most all of it works well for me.