Americans and the World Map

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    BTW the funny thing is I used to know all of the countries on my globe when I was a kid, but then Eastern Europe (and other places) completely changed during my lifetime. And since I have had approximately zero use for any of that knowledge, it was never worthwhile to learn the new ones.

So the correct answer to "where is [some Eastern European country]" is "until one of those countries is relevant to the world, nobody cares."

However, I could probably name most of the locations on a map of Westeros, which actually IS useful information.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Maine and Louisiana have the same culture too, right?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I'd be curious about how many Europeans could fill in a map of Asia.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If you want to test yourselves:
    http://lizardpoint.com/geography/europe-quiz.php
    I wonder how many non US citizens could locate Iowa on a blank US map...or Delaware. I'm not really sure what the point of the post is.
    I think there's a difference between recognizing countries with distinct cultures, languages and histories and recognizing the subdivisions of a single, and more or less homogeneous, country.

Lol homogeneous. I dare you to put natives from Boston, El Paso, Portland, and Detroit in a room together and tell them they're the same.

Freely admitting my map would look pretty much exactly like the second one.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    And the same language.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I could do western Europe pretty well, eastern europe and the middle east not so much.
  • wheird
    Options
    Dang, now I want crab cakes and gumbo.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure this is real!
    My european husband is going to school in the usa and his International Business professor gave them a list of European countries and it still had: USSR, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia on it. And he still referrs to the EU as EC - and that is a college professor . Nuf said
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Ah. My dad's peeps and my mom's peeps representing with that one.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Fortunately the US is so homogeneous that you can get those anywhere. :laugh:
  • wheird
    Options

Campbell's chunky soup and a box of frozen crab cakes.

That thought just made me sad, lol.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I can't get even decent crab cakes in Washington, D.C. and that is incredibly close to their real home of Baltimore. I don't bother ordering them outside of Baltimore anymore. It just makes me sad.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Might as well just make them out of cauliflower.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

photo.PNG
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

photo.PNG
    As someone who lives in the "New York Jr. area," this map is entirely accurate... at least for the state of Chicago.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Clearly this was a well-controlled study. I like that they didn't ask participants to leave countries blank when they don't know the answer but instead asked them to write apologies, smart *kitten* remarks, and self-deprecating humor.

I would fail the world map test miserably. I would fail labeling my own nearby cities on a map terribly. I focus my attention on what is relevant to my life. Since I'm not wandering in an isolated location with no access to technology to help me find my way, and I'm not in charge of delivering anything to anyone, geography is low on my list of priorities. It's true that I'm not interested. There are a lot of things I do find interesting and useful that others often don't.

I'm sure if I wanted to, I could study a world map and memorize where to put everything. I'm just not sure what value that would have to me, or how that value would outweigh the value in whatever else I was spending my time doing. (Yes, including MFP. Leisure and interpersonal interactions count as worthwhile.)

I also learned the same dates in American history year after year after year growing up, and there's still only a couple that mean anything to me. You could make assumptions based on my education, intelligence, motivation to learn from this. But those assumptions would be based on some very limited information. I'm ok with admitting I'm not good at everything.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

63% :(
    i couldnt even get countries ive been to haha
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Meh.
    You can have mine.

I'd love fresh brats.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    They've done similar things for Europeans/Aussies and placing the states within the United States. Geographically speaking, a lot of our states are bigger than European countries so I'd say it's pretty even.

Also, when I lived in Europe I had lots of people be like: "what do you mean you've never been to LA"? - which is quite some distance from the east coast. Everyone, everywhere, lives within their own little bubble.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    WHAT ARE THE PROVINCES OF CANADA?

I know I know I KNOWWW :bigsmile: