Dating to Marriage

Options

Replies

• serenity56
    serenity56 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've been with my guy 3.25 years and we're not living together or engaged yet. We have an awesome relationship! We are right where we need to be at this point in our lives.

My best friend, however, met her husband of 4+ years online, met him in person like 3 months later, got engaged the week they met in person, and was married within the year. They just had their first baby and are doing super well, too! It is totally different for everyone.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    TIL that my cat is the reason I'm single

That *kitten*
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am not at all opposed to asking questions. I would just ask where you guys stand.
  • 10x1014
    10x1014 Posts: 18
    Options
    My husband I were together for almost eleven years before we got married. Granted we moved in together after little over a year of dating but we waited until we were both ready for marriage. We have one of the happiest marriages of any couple we know. So, it all depends on the situation and the two people involved. Only you can answer that question about your own relationship.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

That *kitten*

IKR? And apparently less attractive. Who knew?
  • makingamiracle
    makingamiracle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both knew during our first date. We talked about marriage three weeks later. We got married one year after we met, and only waited that long because both of our families were from out of town. I proposed within a month of us meeting. We have been married for over 26 years and still going strong today.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    "Bigamy is having one wife too many, monogamy is the same".
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Been with my mr for 3 and a half years... we aren't engaged we have lived together for 2 and abit years... think as we are only young (he is 20 and i turn 20 in april) there is no rush, he did get me a eternity ring this Christmas what was sweet and we couldn't be happier :) each couple is different :)

Eternity ring equals long term committed relationship regardless of a desire to be formally married. I am 26 and I know a lot of people that are in substantial committed relationships with no desire to get legal paperwork stating they are committed. Maybe it is just a younger generation not caring so much about the formality of marriage.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was with my now husband for almost 4 years before getting engaged. We got married 2 years after that. We were also in a long distance international relationship, so we wanted to have lots of time to decide if we wanted to spend our lives together. I know people who have been dating for years and have no desire to marry. All the power to them.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

That *kitten*

Turns out I haven't heard it all
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Up to the couple really.

My husband and I were together a year before getting engaged, was engaged for 2 years before tying the knot, and are coming up on our 3 year wedding anniversary in Sept, and have been together a total of almost 6 years (started dating in 2008, got engaged in 2009, got married in 2011 and had our son in 2012).
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the couple. My in laws have been together for 28 years and they're not married, but still happy.
    My husband and I got engaged about 3 years after we started dating. We've been married 2 years in April :)
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You can't set a time limit on a relationship. It either works, or it doesn't. If either party isn't sure, then its probably not the right time or person.

My husband and I have been together nearly 16 years. High school sweethearts. We dated for 5 years before we got married, but we both knew right away that we wanted to be with the other.

Long term commitments don't exactly equal marriage. But, again, that's something both parties have to decide on.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

That *kitten*

IKR? And apparently less attractive. Who knew?

Damn... I guess I need to find out what my new number is. No way I can be a 7 when I own a cat.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It depends on so many things. My cousin and his girlfriend have been together since they were 15. They're now 31 and it doesn't seem like they're planning to marry, and maybe they never would. I don't think it actually matters - they love each other and they aren't any less of a couple than anyone else.

My boyfriend and I have been together for less than a year, but we have a shared household and I'm emotionally ready for marriage and I know for sure we'll be together for life. But wedding business isn't really on my mind at the moment - I have much more urgent things to do. Maybe we would get married and maybe not. All in all, I don't think it matters if it happens in six months, six years or never.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I am up early drinking coffee with my two cats. I am watching a HALLMARK Movie about weddings. Just curious..what is the normal length of time people are together before getting engaged? If someone waits 3years--is something wrong?

Two cats is likely to be perceived as problematic. Most men that I have spoken to about women who own cats believe cat ownership is a red flag. It does not enhance your attractiveness to potential partners, it reduces it in many cases.

3 years of being a couple before tying the knot isn’t an abnormally long time.
    I was engaged for 11yrs and then I finally broke it off. I couldn't love him the way he needed loved. He was only my friend. Then I met a guy and he proposed to me after 3 months. Then 3 months later we were married. Then 3 months later we divorced. Then after some time I started dating my boyfriend (well...now ex-boyfriend). We dated 3yrs and no engagement. Im 37 almost 38. I don't have kids. I feel my clock ticking. I just feel it shouldn't take a person 3+ years to decide if the relationship is a forever relationship.

I think a big part of the reason that you feel 3 years is a long time is because of your age. If you were 27 about to turn 28, you would be less concerned about it.

Also, with a divorce, shouldn’t you be more hesitant about marrying again? At this point, it isn’t like you haven’t been married and you feel like you need to be married for a sense of accomplishment. There are people who get to 37 and have never been married.

It seems like the 11 year relationship was the crucial relationship.

I can't tell if you actually BELIEVE the stuff you post or if you're just the world's worst troll. Laughable, man. Just plain laughable.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I dated my ex for three months before we moved in together, 10 months before we got married. I don't regret it, but probably would go with a longer dating/living together time frame next time.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Damn, I have two cats. It all makes sense now.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Damn, I have two cats. It all makes sense now.

Pu$$ies getting in the way of pu$$y. Who knew.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Dated 3 months, engaged for 2 months, married 31 years:smile: