Am I losing weight too fast?

Options
I started here on new years, but started trying to lose weight a few days before. Anyway, I know it might sound weird but I am concerned, happy, but concerned. I have never had results like this last so long.

I have been averaging a loss of 1lb every two days for a week. I have lost almost 10 pounds! In the past when I have tried to lose weight it is normal to be able to drop 5 pounds like this in the first few weeks... should I be concerned?

My calories are right around1600 per day, (although yesterday I slept in and missed breakfast which left me at 1100). I am exercising more than I ever have before...

Is 3lbs a week too fast? Should I try to slow it down a little or just enjoy the success? I don't want to mess up my metabolism.

Replies

• LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Focus on your net calories; make sure they aren't too far below your goal. A lot of people eat back about half of exercise calories because cardio burns are often overestimated.

It's common to lose more weight than expected in the first week because of water weight (and possibly to a degree glycogen storage), and people who have a lot to lose tend to lose pretty quickly at first, it seems.

Track your exercise and make sure you hit near your goal with *net calories*. If you net too low, you'll lose fast, but it won't be sustainable and you'll be at more risk for throwing in the towel.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Do you have. Good amount of energy on your calories you are eating? If so you are fine. I lost a lot in my first couple of months then it really slows down but just be sure not to give up when it slows down or even when you don't see a loss for a few days or even weeks.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you weigh now... If you are overweight I wouldn't be concerned. You can lose more weight faster and eat at a bigger deficit the more overweight you are. If you are already at a healthy weight then It would be really hard to lose weight that fast
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is 3lbs a week too fast? Should I try to slow it down a little or just enjoy the success? I don't want to mess up my metabolism.

I'd suggest that its more a question of is the lifestyle sustainable. It sounds like your intake is reasonable, as long as your net to 1600 after your training.

You might find benefitvbin easing back on CV and adding some resistance training to your programme. That may reduce your rate of loss but I'll help promote a reduction in your percentage body fat, which is beneficial.
  • deus3xMachina
    Options
    I reckon alot of the weight is glycogen and water from your muscles, which is kind of neccessary. getting those stores half full means extra energy goes in them and you metabolise more fat instead.
  • amarisstorm
    amarisstorm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I went and looked at the reports, and I am typically netting 1300 calories with MFP exercise burn amounts, which I would assume is at least a little high for me...I'm still really out of shape. For two pounds a week MFP set my goal at 1500.

(I switched it to 1 pound- because that didn't seem possible two weeks ago.). Is that too far below? Should I aim for the 1500 as a minimum for right now?
  • amarisstorm
    Options
    It depends how much you weigh now... If you are overweight I wouldn't be concerned. You can lose more weight faster and eat at a bigger deficit the more overweight you are. If you are already at a healthy weight then It would be really hard to lose weight that fast

I am definitely overweight. I hope to lose between 100 and 125 pounds.
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As long as your net calories (something new to me) are good, and you feel well...it could be ok.

As others said, I believe it to probably be water weight. In the past, when I have had a lot to lose, I lost around 20+ pounds in the first month, ten of which seemed to be all in one week. After that it went at a normal pace. I used to go to a doctor every 2 weeks for a few months while dieting to get checked, and she was pleased with that lose, not afraid. And I do not remember a hundred percent, but I believe she said water weight was the cause.
  • jcorpern
    jcorpern Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual at all to lose quite a bit of weight the first week or two after changing your eating habits. A lot of that loss is water weight, not fat burnt :mad:

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll probably see your weekly weight loss drop to 2lb/week in a week or two. If after a month you're still losing more than 2lb/week, then you can start to gradually tweak your intake calories up until you reach that rate.

Great job and good luck!
  • amarisstorm
    Options
    Do you have. Good amount of energy on your calories you are eating? If so you are fine. I lost a lot in my first couple of months then it really slows down but just be sure not to give up when it slows down or even when you don't see a loss for a few days or even weeks.

I do have a reasonable amount of energy. I feel great, although I was tired yesterday, so I won't be skipping any meals anymore.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Then your current rate of loss is well within normal parameters.

Good luck with your journey!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Water weight.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I started here on new years, but started trying to lose weight a few days before. Anyway, I know it might sound weird but I am concerned, happy, but concerned. I have never had results like this last so long.

I have been averaging a loss of 1lb every two days for a week. I have lost almost 10 pounds! In the past when I have tried to lose weight it is normal to be able to drop 5 pounds like this in the first few weeks... should I be concerned?

Enjoy it while you can, you are getting rid of water weight at that rate. It will stop. There will weeks when you lose more or weeks when you are SOOOO GOOOD and still didn't lose, enjoy the honeymoon phase.

If you filled out your profile properly, like if you have a desk job and do exercise 3 x a week for 30 mins. or more, you are light active, not sedentary, then you should do fine following the cals suggested by MFP.

Edit:
    Just read that you have over 100 lbs to lose then you should be dropping more if you are cutting back and exercising more. 2 to 3 lbs a week should be good for a while. At some point it will be more like 1 to .5 lbs a week as you get closer to healthy weight range.

All the best on your journey. And here is a post you might want to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • amarisstorm
    Options
    Thank you all. I feel better and will keep an eye on my net calories and enjoy the success while the weight is coming off easily.

I know it will get harder, but I'm glad I don't need to worry.

As long as I keep feeling better I'm going to just keep doing what I am.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

Then I think you are doing just fine! Good luck with the rest of your journey!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I went and looked at the reports, and I am typically netting 1300 calories with MFP exercise burn amounts, which I would assume is at least a little high for me...I'm still really out of shape. For two pounds a week MFP set my goal at 1500.

(I switched it to 1 pound- because that didn't seem possible two weeks ago.). Is that too far below? Should I aim for the 1500 as a minimum for right now?

Given your objectives you can afford to stick with 2lbs pw. Things will stabilise, as others have highlighted.
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    Depends on your starting weight, the more you weigh the faster you lose at first.