What counts as "keeping you full"?

Options
I had two eggs for breakfast, 7 slices of pepperoni (a serving), and 1/4 c. walnuts at 7. I figured that was a good amount of protein, which is suppose to keep you full, right? I've been hungry since about 10. Snack time? I'm on 1550 calories a day, and I am always hungry, I'm finding it hard to stay under.

Replies

• CleaverWard
    Options
    Are you hungry, or not full? There is a difference and a lot of people have trouble with it. I eat until I am not hungry. Not until I am full.
  • dalekhunter
    dalekhunter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am hungry. There is a definite aching, burning hungry feeling in my stomach!
  • CleaverWard
    Options
    How much water do you drink? Can you add low calorie salads to your meals? I am assuming you're hitting your macros. A big bowl of lettuce, cucumbers, radish, onion, celery and other things with few calories can go a long way.
  • dalekhunter
    Options
    The salad is a great idea. I've been buying the Fresh Express mixed greens boxes and totally forgot to do that this week! I drink a lot of water but I don't think its 8 glasses a day. Maybe 5. I'll try upping that and see where it gets me. Thanks.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising and if so are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    that is why I can't do traditional breakfast. I try to have my first meal after 1 when possible. I find myself satisfied on eating bigger meals later in the day and perhaps a fruit or veggie snack or two. Meal timing is irrelevant so just find out what works best for you!
  • dalekhunter
    Options
    I am exercising and I do eat back a majority of my calories. I started taking B-12 vitamins two weeks ago and I wonder if that's increasing my metabolism enough to make me hungrier.
  • CleaverWard
    Options
    It's probably not. I am no pro but I recommend adding low calorie sides like salads, steamed/baked veggies, and other bulky fillers to your meals. Even for breakfast. I used to make cabbage soup that I could 'free eat' once I went over my calories for a day. It was just chicken broth, carrots, celery and cabbage all boiled together for HOURS. If i was hungry, I would have a bowl. That worked too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Lots of liquid and fiber can help stave off the feeling of an empty stomach for relatively few calories: water, unsweetened coffee, tea, herbal teas/tisanes, diet soda, spritzers (a bit of fruit juice with lots of still or carbonated water), clear soups (that is, not "cream of" or bisques, but veggies, egg, or lean proteins will add nutrients to a soup with boosting the calorie count radically), most raw, steamed, and roasted veggies (although you need adequate fat in your diet for your body to be able to use the fat-soluble micronutrients in veggies).

But for standard breakfast fare, I don't think there's much of anything that "sticks to the ribs" better than oatmeal, for most people.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it really depends from day to day frankly. Some days I have a huge breakfast with a lot of protein and I'm hungry again at 10am, some days I have a cinnamon roll or something and I'm fine until noon. Go figure.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    High fiber filler with a good amount of protein is usually the most satiating thing around. Fwiw the meal you listed isn't really *that* much protein. It's better than most, obviously, but most pepperoni is more fat than protein by a long shot and nuts are usually carbs>fat>protein.
  • dalekhunter
    Options
    Okay this morning, I had one cup of greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of walnuts, 1/2 a banana, and 1 tablespoon of honey, an hour later and I am starving again! That filled me up when I ate it.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    try coffee. lol. guaranteed to keep you full.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Okay this morning, I had one cup of greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of walnuts, 1/2 a banana, and 1 tablespoon of honey, an hour later and I am starving again! That filled me up when I ate it.

give oatmeal a try. Many people don't feel hungry for quite a while after eating it. I eat it several times a week for breakfast and usually I'm not hungry until close to lunchtime.
    Also remember, if you have much sugar in your breakfast, it will raise your blood sugar for a short time, and then the level will drop in a couple of hours. When that happens, your brain wants to increase it again, and will give you hunger pangs to try to get you to eat again and raise your blood sugar.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

So, this morning I had 175 gms greek yogurt, 1 banana, 28 grams all bran buds (high in fiber) and 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder. Only 419 calories and 51 grams protein! I am eating lunch now but have been content all day so far. (I even worked out this morning).

Bottom line, try increasing your protein and perhaps fiber as well. Good luck :smile:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I eat until I'm full -- satisfied-don't-want-to-eat-another-bite full -- and aim for those meals to have more fat than protein, and more protein than carbs and then don't eat again until I'm hungry. I end up eating two meals a day (usually) and eating less calories over all. I'm always full even with a deficit. The key for me is the fat; the more fat the better. Protein is great but without fat it doesn't keep me full for long.
  • dalekhunter
    Options
    When y'all are eating oatmeal, are y'all doing the 1/2 c. serving size or more than that?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    When y'all are eating oatmeal, are y'all doing the 1/2 c. serving size or more than that?

I do the 1/2 cup serving size, make it with soy milk, and add vanilla and Truvia, with a touch of brown sugar. Fills me up all morning!
  • GingerIJones
    GingerIJones Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I loved CleaverWard's comment; (Are you hungry or just not full)... I think I've always went for full and then some. (Problem)... Now I need to think, (Just NOT FULL)...
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough water. Have a small meal every 2-3 hours - that has really helped me! Good luck!