Running tips for beginners?

Options

Replies

• iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link buddy. I did try and find it myself but since it's a closed group I failed. Haha. Yeah, I will have a look at them later on. I already knew to start of slow. I'll probably walk/jog instead of run at first. Thank you again for everything!

Anytime. The C25K program alternates running and walking. I think Week 1 Day 1 you start with 60 seconds running and 90 seconds walking and alternating for 20 minutes. C25K from Zen Labs also has a Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/c25kfree And another thing I should've mentioned - get a really, really good sports bra. You don't have to splurge on techie gear, or any kind of fancy equipment. But you do kinda have to splurge on the shoes and the bra. Moving Comfort is awesome. I swear by the Juno.

I will add a good sports bra to my to buy list when I can afford it. I literally brought a Polar FT80 last Sunday, is that classed as techie gear or fancy equipment? If so, I already have. Haha. On my defence I needed a new HRM. :P

You don't *have* to splurge on techie gear or equipment. But it's hard not to! I have a HRM too, and I spent a good amount of money on clothing I wanted to last (or good protective clothing like reflective vests, blinking LED bracelet, etc)

That being said, check out www.roadid.com to get an ID bracelet. It will have your name, age, emergency contact info, and drug allergy info on it. It's a great just-in-case thing to have, in case you get injured and EMS needs your info and you can't give it. You can get a bracelet, army dog tags, real dog tags (for your dog, really), shoe tag, and others.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You don't *have* to splurge on techie gear or equipment. But it's hard not to! I have a HRM too, and I spent a good amount of money on clothing I wanted to last (or good protective clothing like reflective vests, blinking LED bracelet, etc)

That being said, check out www.roadid.com to get an ID bracelet. It will have your name, age, emergency contact info, and drug allergy info on it. It's a great just-in-case thing to have, in case you get injured and EMS needs your info and you can't give it. You can get a bracelet, army dog tags, real dog tags (for your dog, really), shoe tag, and others.

Definitely spend the few dollars on something to make you more visible if you'll be out in hours of limited visibility. Don't be that person on the side of the road in all black that makes drivers swerve at the last second. A reflective belt runs under $10, the wrist/ankle reflective bands even less, $10-20 for LED bands. My RoadID is a piece of gear I hope never gets put to use, but its on my shoe every time I go for a run just in case.

With the shoes, fitting and gait analysis are a service that drive up the cost at running stores but it's worth it on that first pair. There is time for bargain hunting on the second and subsequent pairs as you wear the first ones out. As you log your walks and runs, track the mileage on your shoes. They wear out over distance and need regular replacement.

If you sweat heavily or suffer from rubbing, they make products for that. Bodyglide and spray antiperspirant can come in handy.
  • suzibanshee
    suzibanshee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel like spending much on a sports bra - so I wear two of the cheapos and that works well.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I gave myself small goals. First around the block, then around two blocks, then around a few more, then I made my dog go with me to speed me up, and then I decided one day that I was going to run to my fiance's work (about 2 miles away) and try to get there before he left to surprise him with my progress. It was hard, but I felt like a gold metal winner!

My biggest tip is to be outside as much as possible. Whether it's chilly (wear layers and be nice to your lungs) or rainy (wear a hat) or hot as He**... just be outside, because when you run the real Color Run, there will be inclines and declines that you can't get with a treadmill. Also, be prepared, I ran the Color Run last summer and it was like running an obstacle course through the massive groups of people walking... If you're going to walk, be polite and walk in the walking lane, or you'll end up breaking a runners leg.

Running is tough to get into, but once you do it, you'll fall in love.

ALSO stretch not only your legs but do windmills with your arms to open up your lungs. Someone told me that, and it changed how I could breath way better when I was running.

You can do it!
  • shgchiquita
    Options
    I went from not being able to run more than 30 seconds to running 9 miles over less than a year.
    What worked for me:
    Couch to 5k- I started with this and crappy sneakers just to make sure I could do it, and wanted to do it before I invested in great shoes...once I got up to a mile or so, I knew I was sticking with it...so...
    Shoes-I went somewhere that has you run on a mat and it tracks how you run/where your foot hits/etc. I bit the bullet and got a great pair of shoes
    Outside-I ditched the treadmill I was using for couch to 5k and I went outside. I started running to landmarks and everyday pushed myself a little more. I keep/kept a slow and steady pace but I got there, walked when I really needed to and gradually built up my stamina.

I was not athletic and managed to go from 0-9 miles in probably 8 months or so. Don't push yourself too much, be patient, and work on gradual increases...worked for me :)
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I want to start training for the Colour Run this year but have had no real running experience so all tips will be appreciated. I already have good shoes so I don't need that tip! :)

Check out goodformrunning.com before you start. A lot more goes into running than just one step in front of the other. Enjoy your new experience!
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is such a great thread, thanks everyone! A lot of good advice!

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on preventing/dealing with stitches? I'm using C25K, on week 7, and I just CANNOT get past it due to these debilitating side stitches. I've tried going slowing, exhaling as my foot on the sore side comes down, not drinking water immediately before hand, eating really light, etc.

I don't take out water to run, since it's such a short time (`35 mins) but could that be it?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on preventing/dealing with stitches? I'm using C25K, on week 7, and I just CANNOT get past it due to these debilitating side stitches. I've tried going slowing, exhaling as my foot on the sore side comes down, not drinking water immediately before hand, eating really light, etc.

I don't take out water to run, since it's such a short time (`35 mins) but could that be it?

Run. When you get stitches, walk. When they go away, start running again. Rinse. Repeat. Don't quit.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I started a thread similar to this last week and the main advice I got was get fitted for proper shoes, and to go slow. From my own experience, I can tell you that you need to give yourself rest days. I didn't do this and since my body wasn't used to running, I sprained my ankle. I had to stop running for 5 weeks, and I ended up having to start my program over (C25K). Don't push your body to keep going when you feel physical pain, either. It's telling you something.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. you can get apps and podcasts. I did it in 2011 when there were no apps for it but nowadays you are a spoilt for choice. Take it slow and be consistent, the rest will follow! good luck
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options

What time of the day do you run? straight after a meal? I find that if I've run within 2 hours of a heavy meal I get awful cramps/ side stitches. Try and eat atleast 3 hours before if you must, or eat after a run
  • _runbitchrun
    _runbitchrun Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Breathe in the nose, out the mouth. Your lungs are gonna BURN the first few times. I actually gave up because I was trying to go too fast right off the bat. I was like, this sucks, f this.
    You have to find your pace, once you find it, its the best feeling in the world!
    You are going to be so amazed with yourself. I went from hating it to being all i could think of (when it was warm out)

Good luck!!
  • Phaedra2014
    Options

Try shortening your stride and work on cadence. Those two things changed it up for me dramatically. I did C25k last summer and went from a non-runner to being able to do 3.5 miles.

Another thing that could be interfering is tight psoas muscles.
  • _runbitchrun
    _runbitchrun Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Don't drink too much water. That was always what got me. While running or before I ditched the water and chewed on gum so my mouth didn't get dry. That helped me A LOT. Then I just drank a crap ton when i was done.
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I want to start training for the Colour Run this year but have had no real running experience so all tips will be appreciated. I already have good shoes so I don't need that tip! :)

Check out goodformrunning.com before you start. A lot more goes into running than just one step in front of the other. Enjoy your new experience!
    I haven't had a lot of time to check it out, but I can tell this is going to be a great resource, thanks!
    And thanks to everyone else with their advice too :)

I'm about to go on W7R3 (for the 4th time...:noway: ) and I ate lunch 2 hours ago and have just been sipping water since. So I'm thinking positive thoughts, and hope to finish the full 25 minutes running!
  • Phaedra2014
    Options

I haven't had a lot of time to check it out, but I can tell this is going to be a great resource, thanks!
    And thanks to everyone else with their advice too :)

I'm about to go on W7R3 (for the 4th time...:noway: ) and I ate lunch 2 hours ago and have just been sipping water since. So I'm thinking positive thoughts, and hope to finish the full 25 minutes running!

Week 7 is a tough week. i faltered when I did it too. But it can be done. Go forth and conquer!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options

I used to get side stitches all the time! Then I changed my breathing pattern. There are various theories as to why stitches occur, I happen to buy into the school of thought that it is from inefficient breathing. So. That being said, breathe from your belly. Breathe in for 3 steps (e.g., right-left-right) and then out for 4 steps (e.g., left-right-left-right), repeat. The idea is that you have an odd number (so 3:4, 2:3, etc) so that when you inhale you aren't always breathing in. You need to alternate. You always want the expiration to be longer than inspiration, and the sum of the ratio has to be an odd number.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I second this, make sure it's an odd number of strides, also make sure you aren't going to fast, control your breathing as well, if you're struggling for breath you might just be going too fast.
    When I first started I expected the speed to come too fast, just keep putting the miles in the legs the speed will come on it's own. What I started doing as well was running Map my Run in the background so that I could track my pace and then put it in a spreadsheet every day (tab for each month) so that I could actually look and see the improvement.
    Now I'm starting marathong training so I'm on a distance per run rather than a time, so I have 2 new spreadsheets set up which shows me the distance I've gone, what the average pace is and what the splits were, the other shows pretty much the same but also includes the elevation as well so I know how hilly it is (yes I'm an obsessive freak but that's just me)

Just remember it doesn't matter if it's an 8min mile or a 18min mile it's still a mile:)
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K was how I started!! I still consider myself a beginner but I have finished up through week 5 and I really enjoy running now, when I never have in my life!! Just stick with it and follow the program.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options

I used to get side stitches all the time! Then I changed my breathing pattern. There are various theories as to why stitches occur, I happen to buy into the school of thought that it is from inefficient breathing. So. That being said, breathe from your belly. Breathe in for 3 steps (e.g., right-left-right) and then out for 4 steps (e.g., left-right-left-right), repeat. The idea is that you have an odd number (so 3:4, 2:3, etc) so that when you inhale you aren't always breathing in *ON THE SAME FOOT* (forgot to put that in there last time. oops.). You need to alternate. You always want the expiration to be longer than inspiration, and the sum of the ratio has to be an odd number.