How Do You Detox Yourself?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    "Detoxing" is done by your liver and kidneys and excreted/urinated from the body. Using a "cleanse" is a waste of money.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Lot of jokers with no advice responding.
    A few. Such as yourself.
    Is any of your advice (sic) based on proven science, or is it based on marketing and hippies trying to get more clicks to their website?
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Drink water
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

My advice is get Dr. Weil's 8 Weeks to Optimal Health. As someone who has done a detox on the heels of going on the wagon, I can tell you the first week you will feel terrible while your liver and kidneys wash the toxins out and then you will start to feel wonderful. Start with putting more green vegetables and water in your diet. Then start eliminating the flour based foods. Cut back on red meat and stick to lean clean proteins like chicken, fish, and plant based proteins (spinach, not soy). Go as organic as you can afford to.

Get all the booze and crap food out of the house, and stay away from your toxic friends. Dive into the reading about optimal health and wellness, maybe get in some time at a health club.

Celebrate with a massage, and start loving yourself. May the FORCE be with you.
    Yes, everyone knows a healthier diet is...healthier.
    We don't need Andrew Weil to tell us that.
  • Elizvbm
    Elizvbm Posts: 21
    Options
    There are tons of "detoxing" products are there that dont do much of what your body already is doing.

If the problem is that you 'feel' like you've been making poor choices about the food you eat, now you just need to change them, forget about the crappy food and eat healthy, carbs and fats are not enemies... the excess is the enemy.

However, when I need a cleanse, i eat vegetable soup, normally use this method when I ate a lot during the weekend or parties, drink water, tea or natural juices.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Ah the detox, the 21st century version of using leeches to suck out disease-causing evil spirits.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

My advice is get Dr. Weil's 8 Weeks to Optimal Health. As someone who has done a detox on the heels of going on the wagon, I can tell you the first week you will feel terrible while your liver and kidneys wash the toxins out and then you will start to feel wonderful. Start with putting more green vegetables and water in your diet. Then start eliminating the flour based foods. Cut back on red meat and stick to lean clean proteins like chicken, fish, and plant based proteins (spinach, not soy). Go as organic as you can afford to.

Get all the booze and crap food out of the house, and stay away from your toxic friends. Dive into the reading about optimal health and wellness, maybe get in some time at a health club.

OP, your liver and kidneys do this for free no matter what diet plan you follow. They're awesome like that.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Whole30 for the past few weeks, eating 100% clean (whole foods) just trying to break reliance on sugar. It only cost me $10 for a book on the subject and groceries including meats and veggies....I feel pretty good.

Edited to add that my diary is open for anyone curious...
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Fresh Fruits, and vegetables. Different ways for different ppl. Depending on the person & their body
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Just drink water and eat healthy. Your body knows what to do.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

Thanks but I am sure my advice was NOT a joke. Your liver and kidneys do this daily without some gimmick that will put MY MONEY into corporate pockets....If you don't want alcohol and fatty foods in your body...don't put them there...but in a day they have made their way through NATURALLY!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    It's what other posters have said. If there is nothing medically wrong with your liver and kidneys (I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume they're working fine), they will either convert toxins into harmless substances or remove them altogether. What you're probably actually looking for is a "jump start" in your mind set of getting on track with your diet.

You say you're eating too much, that is the main reason nearly everyone has gained weight. It's not a matter of food that is "fatty" or "unhealthy." What you need to start doing is practicing portion control. Honestly, you don't have to give up foods you love altogether, cutting down on the amount you eat though will definitely help.

I think you should take a few minutes to learn about BMR and TDEE. I've seen that a lot of people on this site have had successful weightloss with the TDEE - 20% method of caloric intake. Of course, people following MFP's guidelines also have had success with weightloss. You should go into the Success Stories section, and ask people how they accomplished weight loss. Everyone is supportive, we all want you to succeed in your goals.

Include more vegetables and fruits in your diet, as you need the nutrients. If you're like me and have a hard time eating a high volume of fruits and vegetables (old habits are hard to break), then try drinking them instead. I make myself green smoothies all the time, and usually use that as the drink with my meal.

If you have puffiness or bloating, a good thing to do is to cut down on the sodium intake and drink more water.

Here's a green smoothie recipe I use a lot:

2 handfuls of chopped kale
    2 handfuls of chopped chard
    2 handfuls of spinach
    1 carrot

Place in the blender with 2-2.5 cups of water. Blend. Then add:

1 apple (I use either granny smith or fuji apples)
    1 pear
    1 banana
    1 cube(ish) of lemon (rind intact)
    1 cube(ish) of lime (rind intact)
    fresh squeezed orange juice from 1/2 orange

Place all in the blender, and blend until smooth(ish).

Chill in the fridge (it tastes so much better when cold!)

Good luck on your weightloss!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

OP did not say that she's a recovering alcoholic, just that she'd been drinking too much and eating too many fatty foods.
    The vast majority of people said "let your body do what it does"... Not a joke... It's correct.

My advice to you is to visit the MFP home page.
    You will discover that MFP is based around logging calories for weight loss while eating the things you want.
    Therefore, you should not be surprised at the "joker" responses you get to things like "clean eating" and "detoxing"

People are on this site to eat the things that they want to eat in moderation.

May the Schwartz be with you.

456r7ht7vg0.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My liver and kidneys do an awesome job of detoxing me.

This, and to add that if my liver and kidneys were ever not removing bad junk from my body as meant to I'd probably have an issue that some fruit flavored waters and kale shakes wouldn't be able fix. Just saying.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My kidneys and liver do a fantastic job themselves... But, when I know that I haven't been eating the healthiest and on days when I'm feeling bloated and sluggish, I usually drink lots of water with lemon, focus on eating lots of leafy greens, and lots of lean protein. (Note: I'm not "detoxing" my system - just eating extra healthy.)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell does a great detox!!! :wink:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I poop.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

LOL
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I'd put Andrew Weil in the same category as Dr. Oz.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/andrew-weil-attacks-ebm/
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I use the AdvoCare Herbal Cleanse every three months to detox.

Are your liver and kidneys broken?

well...if her/HIS kidneys dont work the OP would be on dialysis and if the liver dosnt work...the OP would be dead!! ..either way...not a good prognosis!!