I'm obese but active - cut calories or bump calories?

Options
Info - I'm 4'11, 155lbs, working out about 4-5 times a week doing 30 mins run/walk intervals and 30min strength

I want to lose another 20 lbs, and I've set a goal for losing it in 6 months to keep me motivated. I'm currently trying to keep my calories under 1350 net, but i'm not seeing any real change on the scale. My life is pretty sedentary other than my workouts,and I'm a very short person, so I thought I should drop my calories to 1200 and see if that helps. But now i'm reading about all the success with bumping up your calories to help you lose weight.

I'm worried I'll lose the progress I've had if I bump my calories. Any suggestions on what has worked for others out there?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think you would be best off taking the next two weeks and focus on logging everything, using a food scale when you are able to, and really get a good handle on intake accuracy with your logging.

You have several missing days, and several incomplete days where you've not logged everything. This makes it more difficult to make accurate assessments about energy intake.

Once you do this you should get a better idea of what's happening and how to fix it.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor to make sure you're working out to full effect. I'm 5'3" and I eat 1200 and work out 4-5 times a weeks. I make sure I keep my simple carbs low. Make sure I get enough protein to fuel my active body. Makes sure you're getting enough water. Any of those done most of the time work. I'm not perfect by any means, but as long as you work at it most of the time it works.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different so it's hard to tell what will work for you. You could lower or increase by 100 calories/day and see how it goes. I've lost at lower ranges and lost at higher ranges but I've felt much better at the higher ranges. Six months is a long time, you don't want to set painful goals during that time. I always lose more when I eat more veggies!

How long have you been at a plateau? I've been stuck for a month at a time to follow up with a big loss, not making any changes to my diet. It's not exactly linear, is it?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Info - I'm 4'11, 155lbs, working out about 4-5 times a week doing 30 mins run/walk intervals and 30min strength

I want to lose another 20 lbs, and I've set a goal for losing it in 6 months to keep me motivated. I'm currently trying to keep my calories under 1350 net, but i'm not seeing any real change on the scale. My life is pretty sedentary other than my workouts,and I'm a very short person, so I thought I should drop my calories to 1200 and see if that helps. But now i'm reading about all the success with bumping up your calories to help you lose weight.

I'm worried I'll lose the progress I've had if I bump my calories. Any suggestions on what has worked for others out there?

You're keeping it under 1350.... sometimes. Maybe.

SideSteel has it right. Focus on accurate, consistent logging. You're eating more than you think.
  • GeordieRover
    GeordieRover Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just in case , hopefully you aren't using added sugar of any kind or eating bread.

Black coffee with no milk or sugar actually starts to taste sweet after a few days drinking it.

Some don't believe it put sugar in cofee and tea plus bread of most kinds , piles on weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Just in case , hopefully you aren't using added sugar of any kind or eating bread.

Black coffee with no milk or sugar actually starts to taste sweet after a few days drinking it.

Some don't believe it put sugar in cofee and tea plus bread of most kinds , piles on weight.

I put sugar in my coffee and eat all kinds of breads. Do I look like I have piles of weight on?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Nothing wrong with sugar or bread, as long as it doesn't prevent you from hitting your other goals.

One of the worst things we can do for new people is tell them to focus on things that don't matter and set them up for feeling like a failure for violating some arbitrary rule.

Sugar and bread don't pile on weight. Excess calories do.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I put sugar in my coffee and eat all kinds of breads. Do I look like I have piles of weight on?

I put sugar on my bread!

I actually don't but I want to now. Just because.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sugar and bread are fine, assuming no medical conditions and accurate logging.

Follow Sidesteel's advice.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I put sugar on my bread!

Cinnamon toast . . . mmmm
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I put sugar on my bread!

NOTHING better than cinnamon toast fresh from the oven. YUM.

5b6954fbaeba111439048abc3f37807f.jpg
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Sorry, what?!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I put sugar on my bread!

I like you. :flowerforyou:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I put sugar on my bread!

I like you. :flowerforyou:

It's just the smell of bubbling butter, melting sugar, toasting bread & heavenly cinnamon.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I think you would be best off taking the next two weeks and focus on logging everything, using a food scale when you are able to, and really get a good handle on intake accuracy with your logging.

You have several missing days, and several incomplete days where you've not logged everything. This makes it more difficult to make accurate assessments about energy intake.

Once you do this you should get a better idea of what's happening and how to fix it.

I agree with this. Your logging is pretty spotty in some places. and you are over calories on other days.

Weight and measure all food and strive for accuracy with both food intake and calorie burns.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

It's just the smell of bubbling butter, melting sugar, toasting bread & heavenly cinnamon.

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I put sugar on my bread!

I love cinnamon toast! Mmmmmm.
  • tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest lifting weights and bumping up calories. weight lifting will help you lose inches which you'll SEE in the mirror rather than on the scale.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Make sure your logging everything and not going in to too big a defict a day. if you want to lose 20lb you should be aim for ..5 lb a week loss. try not to take calories to low. you had a day where you logged less than way 800 to low. log everything and follow the calories given for a few weeks and see where you stand then adjust from there.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I put sugar on my bread!

I actually do! One of my favorite treats is a butter and sugar sandwich. Sometimes I live dangerously and add cinnamon!