Does skin ever 'tighten'?? Please help!

Options
Hi, I'm Holly, I'm 28. I've been on here about a year and lost around 40lbs. I've had two children and tend to get rather fat during pregnancy :-(

I had a c-section and have been left with an unsightly overhang. My stretch marks are so small they make my stomach look like wrinkled OLD skin.

It looks pretty much (exactly) like this lady's:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221754/Tummy-tuck-nearly-killed-unborn-baby.html

SO gross!! :-( :-( :-( :-(

I definitely don't want to go down the tummy tuck route. I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar and tightened (if that's even possible) it up with exercise. I'm currently 146lbs and have less than 20lbs of fat to lose.

I think what I need is some success stories from people who have had similar problems and overcome them with exercise, and some photos too! :-) pleeeeease!

I know it will never go back to being perfect but is there any hope at all?

Thanks in advance

Holly

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

The dreaded arm wiggling. I'm loving my arms more all the time because of lifting.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    A stomach that has carried children and looks like it is NOT GROSS!

OK, now that I got that out of my system - yes, depending on your age and genetics, your skin will tighten to some extent. Anecdotal evidence is that a high protein diet will help as well. High protein being 1.1 to 1.4g/lean body mass (the latest recommendation on protein requirements during calorie restriction).

Best of luck! :drinker:

ETA: I have had only 1 baby, but it was when I was 40, so I had that against me. Feel free to creep the photos in my profile to see what it looks like now. There is loose skin, but it is only noticeable when I do pushups (for instance) and happen to glance down. Then I just remind myself of what my body produced, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    A lot changes when you get fitter and your body comp changes for the better. Even your skin will look better. Saggy skin may be there, but will look better.
    I wouldn't self-hate over it, no need for that!
    And at a later date, you could opt for surgery if you are still unhappy with it.
    Wait and see what training and diet do for it, as well as using some massage in that area to tone tissues.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Most experts (good plastic surgeons) will tell you that you should wait until 2 yrs after a weight loss, before you consider skin removal surgery. If the skin hasn't tightened up by then, then it's not going to. It is NOT a simple little surgery & the less you have removed, the better it would be. So you should wait for 2 yrs. they also say that most skin will shrink up quite a bit, unless you had a lot of big losses/gains over the years. It's isn't being a large weight that causes the skin to lose elasticity, it repeated gains & losses where it keeps shrinking/stretching. and of course a healthy diet and exercise can help.
  • Lillouns
    Lillouns Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I hope so!! After one child, my tummy looks the same!! I have found inspiration through her ---> https://www.facebook.com/CoachJessamyn?ref=profile She was contemplating a tummy tuck, but if you look through "My Transformation" album, she has managed to get rid of hers through eating clean and exercise. I THINK there is hope!! :)
  • danielleharvey2009
    danielleharvey2009 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also had a C-Section 8 months ago. I gained 30lbs during pregnancy, and I've just lost it all (go me!), but I still have 50 pounds to go before I hit a normal BMI. My son also sat very far forward and low, so I looked like I was carrying triplets at 6 months pregnant. Luckily, through diet and exercise I've reduced my baby pouch considerably, but I still have a long way to go.
    Don't let the stretch marks or C-Section scar get you down either. Wear them both with pride. I'm actually looking forward to getting my flat stomach back so I don't feel embarrassed about the flabby-ness when I show off my scars :) Lots of moisturizer and working out will tone you right back up.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I hope so!! After one child, my tummy looks the same!! I have found inspiration through her ---> https://www.facebook.com/CoachJessamyn?ref=profile She was contemplating a tummy tuck, but if you look through "My Transformation" album, she has managed to get rid of hers through eating clean and exercise. I THINK there is hope!! :)

Unless I'm not seeing the pics you are seeing, the loose and stretchy skin is still there, unfortunately. It is quite obvious in the pics.
  • maybyn
    Options

OK, now that I got that out of my system - yes, depending on your age and genetics, your skin will tighten to some extent. Anecdotal evidence is that a high protein diet will help as well. High protein being 1.1 to 1.4g/lean body mass (the latest recommendation on protein requirements during calorie restriction).

ETA: I have had only 1 baby, but it was when I was 40, so I had that against me. Feel free to creep the photos in my profile to see what it looks like now. There is loose skin, but it is only noticeable when I do pushups (for instance) and happen to glance down. Then I just remind myself of what my body produced, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!!

I have yet to see loose skin improving after weight lifting. Please show me some pictures.

Sorry, I know I'm being a debbie downer but I've got the same problem as the OP and even though I'm slim and have lifted for sometime now, the loose skin from pregnancy is still there and it IS unsightly. I can't wear bikinis because of that.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear all this good news! I too have that kind of belly from 2 pregnancies only I feel that mine may be a little worse :embarassed: At least I can hang on to this hope! :smile:
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I have yet to see loose skin improving after weight lifting. Please show me some pictures.

Sorry, I know I'm being a debbie downer but I've got the same problem as the OP and even though I'm slim and have lifted for sometime now, the loose skin from pregnancy is still there and it IS unsightly. I can't wear bikinis because of that.

You're not being a 'debbie downer', you are speaking the hard honest truth!!!!!!
    I've had one child and had hundreds of stretch marks and have loose skin. The fatter I am, the tighter the skin on my belly. The more weight I lose, the flappier my stomach gets.
    Lifting weights, eating right and drinking lots of water is not going to change my skin in any way shape or form - and I've lifted for over 12 years, stomach has been around for coming up 16.
    I've had personal trainers and doctors tell me that the only way to get rid of my skin will be to cut it off. I'm under no illusion that the more sit ups I do will help rid me of the belly.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Are you speaking to me? I didn't say anything about lifting weights. I advocated she get plenty of protein. Go ahead and creep the pics in my profile if you want to see pics. Just click on my username to get there.
  • mettelaurent
    mettelaurent Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can't wear bikinis because of a wrinkled tummy??? Who says? The bikini police? Since having my first child 15 years ago the skin om my stomach and boobs has been sagging and looks worse than the stomach in the article posted in the first post. And so what? I have worn bikinis all the time and decided not to let anyone rule over me and inhibit me because of something I can't do anything about. My skin and boobs were saggiest when skinny and now when I am overweight my skin looks great. I want to shed 30 lbs but I also know it comes with a price.

I will probably get a tummy tuck when I am done having babies and have lsot the weight, but until then I will continue to wear bikinies because tanned rolls of skin look better;)
  • QuietBloom
    Options

You're not being a 'debbie downer', you are speaking the hard honest truth!!!!!!
    I've had one child and had hundreds of stretch marks and have loose skin. The fatter I am, the tighter the skin on my belly. The more weight I lose, the flappier my stomach gets.
    Lifting weights, eating right and drinking lots of water is not going to change my skin in any way shape or form - and I've lifted for over 12 years, stomach has been around for coming up 16.
    I've had personal trainers and doctors tell me that the only way to get rid of my skin will be to cut it off. I'm under no illusion that the more sit ups I do will help rid me of the belly.

Lifting may not help, but eating right is definitely important. Because you feed your skin from the inside out. I'm going to go ahead and post my photo to avoid any more confusion about my results. I weighed over 165 when I gave birth, so I gained quite a bit more than the recommended 25!

33oqrtl.jpg

28hmnwn.jpg
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

33oqrtl.jpg

28hmnwn.jpg

Amazing job!
  • maybyn
    Options
    You've no doubt done a great job but it's not the same thing.

At 165 lbs, less 25 lbs is only 140 lbs. I don't know how tall you are but I presume that you're of average height so 140 lbs is hardly overweight. I gained a heck of a lot after all my pregnancies because of the effects of pregnancy. The only time I've ever been fat or obese (probably over 200 lbs) was when I was pregnant.

And yes, your post did refer to eating right, not lifting. I quoted the wrong post. Anyhow, eating right did not help as I ate (and still do) at least 100 gms protein daily for 2, going on 3 years now.

As I said, I don't want to be discouraging to others, but then again, for a lot of individuals, loose skin cannot easily be gotten rid of without outside intervention (aka tummy tuck, cosmetic surgery, miracle creams, if any etc). That's not to say "give up hope and die now". It's just a reality many will have to put up with.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

At 165 lbs, less 25 lbs is only 140 lbs. I don't know how tall you are but I presume that you're of average height so 140 lbs is hardly overweight. I gained a heck of a lot after all my pregnancies because of the effects of pregnancy. The only time I've ever been fat or obese (probably over 200 lbs) was when I was pregnant.

And yes, your post did refer to eating right, not lifting. I quoted the wrong post. Anyhow, eating right did not help as I ate (and still do) at least 100 gms protein daily for 2, going on 3 years now.

As I said, I don't want to be discouraging to others, but then again, for a lot of individuals, loose skin cannot easily be gotten rid of without outside intervention (aka tummy tuck, cosmetic surgery, miracle creams, if any etc). That's not to say "give up hope and die now". It's just a reality many will have to put up with.

I started out at 120 lbs, so it was a 45lb weight gain and it was all in my tummy. Trust me, it got HUGE. I won't argue that I am genetically blessed to not be prone to stretch marks. But I definitely had loose skin, and still do. But in the 10 years since I gave birth, it has slowly but surely gotten tighter. I'm almost 50 now.

Oh, and I find it a bit insulting that you think it was 'easy' for me to improve my loose skin. It wasn't. I had to lose the weight, and get back into shape all while watching my macros.
  • maybyn
    Options

I started out at 120 lbs, so it was a 45lb weight gain and it was all in my tummy. Trust me, it got HUGE. I won't argue that I am genetically blessed to not be prone to stretch marks. But I definitely had loose skin, and still do. But in the 10 years since I gave birth, it has slowly but surely gotten tighter. I'm almost 50 now.

Oh, and I find it a bit insulting that you think it was 'easy' for me to improve my loose skin. It wasn't. I had to lose the weight, and get back into shape all while watching my macros.

And oh, I find it insulting that you present your opinions without acknowledging that in many circumstances, loose skin due to prior pregnancies cannot simply be gotten rid of through diet and exercise!

Did you actually SEE the picture the OP posted in her post above?? You think the saggy bit at the bottom can be gotten rid off through diet and exercise?

No way.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

And oh, I find it insulting that you present your opinions without acknowledging that in many circumstances, loose skin due to prior pregnancies cannot simply be gotten rid of through diet and exercise!

Did you actually SEE the picture the OP posted in her post above?? You think the saggy bit at the bottom can be gotten rid off through diet and exercise?

No way.

If you read her post, you would see that that is not actually the OP's stomach. I also think it just takes the piss out of you that you can't argue with my results. lol
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Lifting may not help, but eating right is definitely important. Because you feed your skin from the inside out. I'm going to go ahead and post my photo to avoid any more confusion about my results. I weighed over 165 when I gave birth, so I gained quite a bit more than the recommended 25!

33oqrtl.jpg

28hmnwn.jpg
    You look fantastic - great job! Do you have a "before" of the loose skin?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!