is it ok to eat junk sometimes?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No. Never. So just send all of your junk to me, kplzthx.

sent!! check your inbox
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    No. Never. So just send all of your junk to me, kplzthx.

NO :angry:

Send it to me, I'm closer and you will save a ton on shipping :flowerforyou: #I'mheretohelpyourewelcome

ETA: this includes you, Dave.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    More serious answer: OP, you have a long way to go. It's doable, but part of your strategy has to be adherence. Cutting out foods that you enjoy will in all likelihood create some serious adherence issues in the long term. Weight loss is all about consistency, don't set yourself up for failure. Make the occasional treat fit in your overall goals.
  • anastasiasmirror
    Options
    For me, it depends on whether it is a "trigger" food. If just a little bit triggers your need for more and more, then, no, don't do it. Again, for me, it is like alcohol. Some foods I can't "go down that road." BUT, I like the advice of an old Weight Watchers coach - "When you crave something, sometimes you will eat tons of other options to abate that craving, to no avail. Instead of wasting all those calories on alternatives, might as well eat half of that food portion." It made a lot of sense at the time. Of course back then, I had a goal weight of 132. Ha! My family would think I was dying if I ever reached that goal now!

Hehe. I used to think that way too! but then I got to the goal.. and took pix. a few years later i saw what I REALLY looked like in those pix. -skinny, unhealthy, and almost a little retarded in the face! LOL
  • anastasiasmirror
    Options
    junk is such a grey area.

who ever said BACON was junk?

:huh:

well.. maybe i wasn't clear.. it was a johnsonsville bacon, cheddar cheese, burger all in one! LOL it doesn't sound too healthy to me.. but it was tasty and i figured if i eat it in the morning and stick to only veggies with it, I will be able to burn most of it off during the day! maybe! LOL
  • anastasiasmirror
    Options
    Last I knew, none of us are cyborgs or have computer chips in us. If that were the case, weight loss and weight maintenance would be a piece of cake. If you don't satisfy an occasional craving once in a while, the urge will only get stronger and stronger. You already demonstrated strength in character when you indicated that you ate the burger without the bun and with a salad. That already shows you have great judgement skills.

To splurge once in a while is ok. To show good judgement always is SPECTACULAR! Very proud of you young lady. I personally think you set an awesome example for others :-)

so sweet! thx!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Is is ok to eat regular food sometimes while losing weight? or should i try to always stick to healthy alternatives, like low fat turkey over .. lets say bacon for example? because this morning i sneaked a johnsonsville bacon cheese beef burger into my morning calorie limit. LOL and it was YUM . and very satisfying too! i didn't eat bread with it though and i had it on top of a healthy salad. what are your opinions?
    You can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calorie allowance AND it tastes darned good to you.

I tend to eat more protein because I weight lift, but there are now "low fat" foods in my house, and there IS bread (homemade), beef, fish, and chicken, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and plenty of other yummies.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Is is ok to eat regular food sometimes while losing weight? or should i try to always stick to healthy alternatives, like low fat turkey over .. lets say bacon for example? because this morning i sneaked a johnsonsville bacon cheese beef burger into my morning calorie limit. LOL and it was YUM . and very satisfying too! i didn't eat bread with it though and i had it on top of a healthy salad. what are your opinions?

<
    lost over 50lbs eating fast food 3-4 times a week, frozen dinners, cookies, chips, candy and all the other foods I liked.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It is too simplistic to separate foods into healthy and other. Bacon grease popsicles treat a dietary fat deficiency.
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just eat everything in moderation and make sure it fits in your caloric and macro goals. I would never be able to go through life without chocolate, sushi or cake every now and then. :D
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    See, I think low-fat versions of most things taste like junk. Like low fat cheese... I'd rather eat lovely full-fat cheese and take the hit on my calorie total. I guess I don't think of "real" versions of food to be junk.

Junk to me is fast food and sweets. Then I get really picky--it had better be delicious if I'm spending calories on it. I won't eat McDonalds, but I wouldn't turn down a Chicago-style hot dog if someone handed me one right now. I won't eat Oreos or Chips Ahoy, but if you bake me a homemade cookie, it's going down the hatch.

love LOVE this reply....spend your calories on what YOU want to eat :smile:
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go over your calorie limit for the day and be active, you can eat whatever you want. I practically live on McDonald's and I lost weight.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should eat what you enjoy, as long as it is within your calorie goal. For me [& for everyone, usually] this is a lifestyle change - if I can't eat any of the foods I like, I will definitely fail. But if I can learn to eat all the things I like in moderation, I know I can do it, & maintain it. I've also tried to get in touch with my fruit & veggie loving side, because enjoying those things & opting to eat them for certain meals & snacks allows me to eat other, "less healthy" things at other times during the day. I think it's just a balance that you have to find. You have to find what works for you personally. But in short, YES, of course it's okay to eat junk sometimes.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Of course, as long as its in your calories go for it :) also being restrictive is bad for you and could lead too binges! so eat what you like in moderation :)
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go over your calorie limit for the day and be active, you can eat whatever you want. I practically live on McDonald's and I lost weight.

What do you eat there? What's a typical day's menu for you?
  • perrymick
    perrymick Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You're fine. I had a peanut butter and bacon sandwich this morning.

I'd have never put those two together but reading this that sounds like a great combination.

One to try :)
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    As long as it DOES NOT make you go over your calories, it's 100% perfectly ok.

I eat junk nightly to fill my remaining calories.
  • mimipremo1
    Options
    As long as it DOES NOT make you go over your calories, it's 100% perfectly ok.

I eat junk nightly to fill my remaining calories.

I've been tending toward that too. MFP has me on a 1200 calorie plan (for 2lbs weight loss per week) but I also am fairly active most of the time, and exercise daily.....so I've been burning up about 300 extra calories a day, which means that I'm eating back my exercise calories and really am on a 1500 calorie plan. I find it hard to fill it in my situation (I have to share a kitchen and don't have much storage space for food.....which forces me to shop weekly and wisely. )

I know that since I'll be on a first class train journey tomorrow with included meals for when I'm on board, I'm planning to live it up food-wise for Breakfast and Lunch, and just eat lightly for dinner and my snacks. Luckily, Amtrak provides dietary information for their meals on their website.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet that is rich in nutrient dense foods. understand that you don't get extra credit for more broccoli once your nutritional requirements have been met...so then you can enjoy your ice cream or whatever.