What's your strength training regimen?

Thought I'd take a bit of a poll here. I have been doing the aerobic/cardio scene for a bit and know it's necessary to do some strength training as well. I know the basics, but thought I'd see different people's strength training routines.

I was thinking of just starting with legs twice a week, two reps of 10 for each circuit machine. Then alternating with arms/body twice a week, two reps of 10 for each circuit machine. Supplementing with daily cardio, and major cardio on one break day.

Thoughts?

F: 24yo, 5'6" SW: 268, CW: 248, GW: 150

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    i'm eating at enough deficit to lose 2 pounds a week so that's made a big difference in my strength training. here's what i do now:

M: 5*5 (3*5 for deadlifts) of back squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, bench press and overhead press. not that i'm very close to my limit for these, my goal is increase weight by 2.5 pounds each week. before i reached that point i was increasing by 5 pounds each workout

W/F : circuit training style complexes where it's 50% of the amount of weight i'd use if i were doing less volume. these days i'm doing KB swings, pushups, pull ups, lat pull downs, turkish get ups, as well as a few rounds of a tuminello complex .

i dont really use machines except the assisted pullups and the lat pull down. everything else is with a free weight
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I do a slightly modified version of strong lifts:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    I'm doing something similar to Nemesis format programming for squats and presses. Basically, I squat and press up to a max single 5-7 days a week. Drop to 70% of that and start working back up in sets of 3 until I feel like I've hit capacity for triples. Then drop to 50% of the top single and do a pair of 5-rep sets as explosively as possible. I switch off back squats with front squats and bench press with standing barbell overhead press.
  • Huffdogg
    I was thinking of just starting with legs twice a week, two reps of 10 for each circuit machine. Then alternating with arms/body twice a week, two reps of 10 for each circuit machine. Supplementing with daily cardio, and major cardio on one break day.

Thoughts?

If you're seeking actual input, I recommend that you buy New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength, and read them both. At that point you should have quite an extensive repertoire of knowledge with which to make a more informed decision.
  • Thanks! I will look into that.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    I'm in the midst of recovering from an injury so I'm using machines more than I'd prefer, but will be going back into 5/3/1 in 2 more months. Try Stronglifts or Starting Strength, OP.
  • 5AnFdkN.png
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    I'm doing Mark Lauren's at home strength training program, from his book Body By You. Absolutely love it!
    3 days a week/30 minutes a time and it uses body weight so no extra equipment needed.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    I just finished week 2 of Starting Strength. 3x a week, three lifts each time. Squat and deadlift every time. Alternate between Bench Press and Overhead Press.

Soon chin-ups will be added as assistance work, and some of the deads will be switched for Power Cleans if i recall correctly. I have to go check my plan for next week.

Starting programs don't need to be complex. Actually it's probably better if they're not.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Using your body weight or free weights instead of the machines actually makes your body stronger all over because you have to always keep your balance/ use your core. I've been strength training for years and I love this guy's site for ideas: http://www.whyiexercise.com/body-weight-exercises.html
    Building and or maintaining muscle while dieting makes you LOOK GREAT!
    Just do what you can enjoy!
  • Huffdogg
    I just finished week 2 of Starting Strength. 3x a week, three lifts each time. Squat and deadlift every time. Alternate between Bench Press and Overhead Press.

Soon chin-ups will be added as assistance work, and some of the deads will be switched for Power Cleans if i recall correctly. I have to go check my plan for next week.

Starting programs don't need to be complex. Actually it's probably better if they're not.

It's only squats that happen every session. The other two are (bench or Press), and (deads or pcleans).