How to cook brussel sprouts?

Options
kmard81
kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
I picked up some fresh ones today and I need help on a healthy/tasty way to prepare them! I have only done the frozen before and they didnt come out good. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    i have always boiled or steamed them. i would probably steam them now because they don't lose the nutrients that they would by boiling them.
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    Top with a little parmesean and olive oil and roast at 350 until crispy...yummy!
  • sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    i pull off the outer leaves and steam them. mmmm i love brussel sprouts :)
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Top with a little parmesean and olive oil and roast at 350 until crispy...yummy!

I'm not much of a cook-what's the difference between roasting and baking? And what if I don't have a roasting pan?
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    roast roast roast! Olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and treat yourself with a little crispy bacon or pancetta on top!
  • kmard81
    Options
    i have always boiled or steamed them. i would probably steam them now because they don't lose the nutrients that they would by boiling them.

If i steam them, can I put anything else in the bag with them? I will prob use the zip n steam bags if I do it this way.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    my husband makes theses for me all the time and I LOVE them (never liked them before). He buys the big ones, cuts them in half lengthwise, sprinkles with a TINY bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and bakes.... I THINK at 350 for about 20 minutes, maybe longer, until they are hot and soft but not mushy! Hope you enjoy them, so are SO healthy!!
  • NickiChase
    NickiChase Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ROAST THEM!!! Oh my goodness...they are sooo yummy roasted that I won't eat them any other way. Trim them and slice in half (or quarter if large) and toss with some olive oil (I like the garlic infused oil by Star) Add Salt and Pepper to taste and roast on a cookie sheet at 425-450 until the leaves get a bit brown.... they get a nutty flavor to them this way and don't give off that bitter cabbage smell.
  • kmard81
    Options

I'm not much of a cook-what's the difference between roasting and baking? And what if I don't have a roasting pan?

ditto! LOL!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Definately roast them -- toss them in a little vegetable oil (1 T should do) -- roast at 400 for 20 minutes ... they will carmelize naturally and be OH so sweet and delicious. I like to roast them carros and beets. A very pretty and colorful side dish.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave container and I cook them in the steamer in the microwave for about 3-5 min. They come out great, and I put a little bit of the "I can't believe it's not butter" spray (1 calorie or zero calories per spray) and they are soooo goood. I am the only one in my family that likes brussel sprouts so I eat them all by myself.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    ROAST THEM!

cut off the bottoms and peel off the outer leaves.
    toss them in olive oil (you don't need a lot, just a drizzle)
    throw them in a roaster pot/pan (uncovered) in a 425C oven.
    turn them every 8 mins and roast them for a total of 20-30 mins.

They naturally caramelize as they roast and end up being slightly sweeter than if you just boiled or steamed them.
    Sometimes I'll throw in a tablespoon or two of walnuts so there's a little crunch with them.

deeeee-lish!
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    ok, i have never roasted them, don't know why i never thought to, but now i have to try it!!!
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Roasted is the way to go! Had a HUGE serving with dinner last night! Only 38 calories per cup!
  • markymark39
    Options
    another vote for roasting with a little olive oil. please don't boil or steam! :)