Red face

Options
Does anyone else get overheated when working out? I went to spin class on Saturday, and I thought flames were going to shoot out of my face I thought it was the room, and my friends thought it was hot also. But, today I did the elliptical in my basement which is much cooler with a fan on me and I still seemed overheated. I'm 44 years old. Is this an age thing?

Replies

• PinkGemini612
    PinkGemini612 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and I get like that too sometimes. The other day I left the gym red faced, and was like that picking my kids up from daycare. They thought I was sick! For me it's mainly after running.I don't know if I should be embarrassed or not!
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yes I always get extremely red in the face (and sometimes white around the mouth) when I work out hard.. since I'm a kid- hasn't been a problem other than freaking people out :) I'm 30 now and it still happens. My dad gets it too- I think it's just what we do. Is this a new thing for you? If so, may want to ask your doctor.
  • smalacarne
    Options
    Thanks, it seems to be getting more extreme the last few workouts. I haven't started any new meds but will check with my dr.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    It's extremely common and normal. It would be abnormal if a person didn't get warm/hot and would indicate they aren't getting in much of a workout. I just read today that warming up in preparation for working out is important because our muscles work better when warm. Sweating is a big part of working out, ask any gym rat. Our bodies sweat to cool itself down. It's our external evaporative cooling system. Pretty neato if you ask me.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Your body gets more efficient at dealing with heat etc as you work out more. I didn't overheat so much, but as a ginger person, my face went VERY red when I started working out. Now? I definitely still have rosy cheeks after a workout, but it's nothing like the scarlet embarrassment I had before.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It's normal, at least for me. I workout in my basement, and I'm usually cold starting out. By the time I've done my warm up walk or a few lifts, I'm warm. I'm usually comfortable bordering on hot when lifting, and covered in sweat and hot about 5-10 minutes into running.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have gotten tomato face after hard exercise all my life (36yo now). I just make sure to run any errands BEFORE hitting the gym so I don't get the "OMG...she's gonna keel over!" stares in the store :D
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I get extremely overheated and red but that's because I have exercise induced pre-syncope.
  • Zurichman
    Options
    I think you are getting hot or red faced because all your blood is going to the working muscles instead of your face. You might want to back off some until you get fitter or the other possible solution is to taper down at the end of the workout for recovery Good luck