Anyone else dealing with a separation?

Options
I committed myself to making healthier changes as of the first of the year, then my husband and I separated on the 2nd. While I usually turn to food when I'm upset, I decided to not let this get in my way. I struggled through crazy emotions from the separation while going through caffeine withdrawl from quitting pop. I've been cooking more at home for myself and my kids, eating more regularly, and avoiding the ridiculous amounts of sugar. I haven't quite gotten to the exercise part yet, but I want to make sure these changes stick so I don't want to do too much at once.

So far, I've lost 13 lbs. I don't feel the insane cravings like I used to, and though you can't physically see my loss yet, I feel like I'm at the beginning of a good new path. My emotions are more stable too now that my husband and I have agreed to work on things while living separately. I'd love some friends here, especially those who might be trying to make a healthier life for themselves while dealing with a separation or similar situation.

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    HUGS

That is a lot to go through at once. I had a husband walk out many years ago and understand how incredibly hard it can be.
    Glad you are working on things for now, especially since your boys are so little.
    Congrats on keeping up with the Great changes while going through this! Overall it will help you. Your body will feel better which will help it all.

You can do it!!!! One step at a time.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm about to be. I find exercise to be the best distraction! Especially running, I turn my music up load and tune out everything! Keep up the good work! Good luck!
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No separation as such but heaps of pressure and frustration at times. Two things. One you are doing already. Sugar destabilises your glucose levels which leads to mood swings. Carbs and sugars lead to increase insulin which leads to increase fat storage, not fat burning. You are off to an excellent start by knocking off all processed sugars and carbs. You do not have to exercise to loose weight if you eat the right foods. Your issue is more about excess fat. Lecithin granules (1.5 tablespoons mixed in yoghurt or dairy) will help emulsify your fat triglycerides so they are more easily burnt. Dropping your net carbs to between 60-80 gm will speed things up further , eat moderate protein (1gm per kilo of your weight approx), eat good fats (low salt butter, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, nuts) as these will more than keep you satiated. Fat is a far more stable fuel for the body to burn which means no mood swings, clarification of the mind, better skin (well oiled). Having too many carbs in your diet is like throwing too much paper on a fire so the logs don't get to burn. You need to get to the logs, ie your fat stores. Be sure to have enough iodine (for optimum thyroid function), plenty of veggies and at least one piece of fruit a day. Also drink plenty of water. Include green tea to speed up metabolism, fennel tea to help suppress hunger if necessary, dandelion root tea for liver cleanse. (Also all these teas are diuretics). Include curry especially turmeric in your diet, it is a great anti inflammatory. If you take probiotics it will improve your gut bacteria so that you absorb the nutrients in your food more (less hungry as a result) and aid elimination of waste and toxins (leading to more efficient burning of your fat stores). Eat only when you are hungry and stop as soon as you are not. This helps your liver manage the insulin load better leading to better fat burning.. Better you eat many small meals this way. Never go hungry. All this alone will lead you to loose weight.

Second (I did say two things), walking is an excellent stress management activity. It channels the distress in your mind and emotions out of your body, and it releases endorphins to help pick up your mood. You don't have to walk hard but you may find that you do as your body and mind better connect to rid of frustration. Try it, you will find your own rhythm and just tune out to tune in. All the best with things, sometimes space is good for both but sounds like you are already reaching for higher ground and consciousness by the way you want to change your ways and yourself for the better. We attract what we give out and you are showing loving kindness to yourself. A good start.
  • Bekkah1552
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear of your separation, and I truly understand what you're going through. My husband and I separated last June, and my kids and I have been living a very different lifestyle ever since. Sometimes it's difficult to find the positives in such drastic changes, but I can honestly say that as the months have passed healing has occurred and happiness has been the prevailing emotion. :smile: Hang in there and just keep taking things a day at a time.... you have a great attitude!! :smile:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    my husband and i went through a brief two month separation last fall. I found that throwing myself into exercise was the healthiest way to deal with the emotions and stress I was feeling.... I figured it was better than the alternatives (excessive drinking, food, poor decision making opportunities).

Exercise is a great stress reliever.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My wife left me 6 months ago. It's hard to relearn how to eat because your budget changed and had to learn to cook more proficiently than I used to do. Keep focusing on being healthy and active, that's the most important part of going through this. Feel free to send a friend request!
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies. This has been a very lonely time for me. I have no idea how this will turn out, so I want to take control of some of the other things in my life. Thanks for the helpful suggestions and for letting me know that i'm not alone!
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When I went through my separation and divorce - I lost 20 pounds over a month long period and then gained 45 pounds over a 6 month period.

It's a hard road.