At-home Strength Training Program

Options
Does any one know of an at-home strength training program? I'm looking to tone-up and tighten, not to bulk up!

Replies

• sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Unless you're taking steroids you won't bulk up.
    I am doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program at home but you do need some equipment to be able to do it. Great program though, totally recommended :smile:
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Try P90X
  • theruby
    theruby Posts: 36
    Options
    I too would love anyone's input on at home strengthening - without having to buy tons of crap... Is that possible?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a bench and barbell - Stronglifts, Starting Strength, and AllPros, Also NROL is good.

If you have dumbbells - you should still read the above and replace the barbell exercises with the dumbbell variations. There are dumbbells that use plates on Amazon for under $50 if you don't have these.

You can also check Craigslist and Ebay for benches and weights at cheaper prices,

If you are unable to invest in equipment any time soon, check out bodyweight routines at Nerdfitness, Convict Conditioning and YAYOG.

Bodybuilding.com has a great exercise database that you can search based on equipment (or lack thereof) if you are comfortable with creating your own program.

ETA: as someone above said- unless you are taking steroids, you won't bulk. Women don't produce the testosterone for it and building muscle is actually quite hard. "OMG, I started lifting and got bulky accidentally" said no one ever (that was actually proven to be true).

And realize that most women that appear very defined isn't due to lifting heavy, but rather more dependent on a low body fat %.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Great advice.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    TRX
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a bench and barbell - Stronglifts, Starting Strength, and AllPros, Also NROL is good.

If you have dumbbells - you should still read the above and replace the barbell exercises with the dumbbell variations. There are dumbbells that use plates on Amazon for under $50 if you don't have these.

You can also check Craigslist and Ebay for benches and weights at cheaper prices,

If you are unable to invest in equipment any time soon, check out bodyweight routines at Nerdfitness, Convict Conditioning and YAYOG.

Bodybuilding.com has a great exercise database that you can search based on equipment (or lack thereof) if you are comfortable with creating your own program.

ETA: as someone above said- unless you are taking steroids, you won't bulk. Women don't produce the testosterone for it and building muscle is actually quite hard. "OMG, I started lifting and got bulky accidentally" said no one ever (that was actually proven to be true).

And realize that most women that appear very defined isn't due to lifting heavy, but rather more dependent on a low body fat %.

This^^^ pretty much sums it all up!!
    If you are looking at not acquiring any equipment, you can certainly gain strength and muscle with bodyweight training. Look at the many variations of each exercise, as you will have many, so you can progress with you routines. If you are to buy one piece of equipment, I would suggest a pull up bar!!