Ran here from Weight Watchers

Options
I've was on Weight Watchers for the past week and ended up hungry, cranky, and light-headed. I know-- it was only one week but that was all I needed to realize how unrealistic and frankly, unhealthy the plan is. They are right, you WILL lose weight on Weight Watchers, but only if you're willing to eat processed foods and very few proteins.

I refuse to eat the processed foods WW suggests-- I try to eat clean and as close to nature as possible which is why suggestions to eat fat free cheese, reduced carb bread, and fat-free cool whip were not acceptable to me. So when I added 2% milk to my coffee, or ate 2% Greek yogurt-- it took away a lot of my allotted points. When I addressed this on their message board the only response I got was, "Umm, eating 2% is not part of the plan".

That freaked me out, but also made me realize that those on it, use it without critically thinking about it.

In addition, I'm nutritionally educated enough to know the importance of protein, but WW doesn't seem to feel simillarly. Three ounces of plain, grilled chicken was worth more points than one large round of pita bread. Really?? Without enough protein, I'm never full for long so when I Googled, "still hungry on Weight watchers", the suggestions I got were to fill up on a lot of fruits and vegetables and...(wait for it) WATER.

What?? How is this a lifestyle change if people are asked to fill up on fruits and vegetables, which are GOOD-- but aren't filling. The human body needs protein, but I felt penalized any time I added a protein into my food log--and it makes you want to avoid them so you aren't left with very few points to eat at the end.

Sorry that my introduction began as a rant, but I'm still cranky from not eating enough on Weight Watchers, lol. When I entered what I ate into My Fitness Pal, I was permitted 400 more calories!

Replies

• kchiaramonte
    Options
    I joined Weight Watchers three and a half years ago and lost 60 pounds! I was a bit surprised to read your post about Weight Watchers and how unrealistic they are. They encourage you to eat whole and real foods. You can pretty much eat what you want, but you track your food budget with points. So, if you want the 2% milk, you can drink it, but it will be more points than fat free or skim milk. I find My Fitness Pal and Weight Watchers very similar. If you track what you eat you will be more aware of what you're eating, and stay focused enough to make the right food choices. What I like best about MFP is that not only does it track my calories, but also my protein, carbs, fats, sodium, and sugar content. This week I gained a pound, but I when I looked back at my journal I realized I went over budget in my sodium, carbs, and sugar content. With the help of MFP, I can now pinpoint my reasons for potential weight gain vs purely guessing why I had a weight gain. Good luck on your journey.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Very much agree with you, WW along with the rest of the programs are not realistic. Glad you figured it out before wasting the money. Being on here makes it so much easier to live life normally! :drinker:
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I did WW for 2 yrs and lost 70 lbs until finances finally forced me to give it up. I went to meetings faithfully and never once was I encouraged to eat processed food. 3 ozs of plain grilled chicken is only 3 points a small pita is 2 points. Not much of a difference if you ask me. Furthermore, I have found that the points plus and calories were pretty comparable. Meaning lower calories = lower points. I do hate that I have to count the calories in my fruits and vegetables now when before I could eat them with abandon. Finally, there are plenty of other ways to get your protein. Vegetarians have been doing it forever. With any weight loss program it is a lifestyle change. Whether you are counting points or counting calories you should be learning to eat healthier.
  • sargessexyone
    Options
    I joined Weight Watchers three and a half years ago and lost 60 pounds! I was a bit surprised to read your post about Weight Watchers and how unrealistic they are. They encourage you to eat whole and real foods. You can pretty much eat what you want, but you track your food budget with points. So, if you want the 2% milk, you can drink it, but it will be more points than fat free or skim milk. I find My Fitness Pal and Weight Watchers very similar. If you track what you eat you will be more aware of what you're eating, and stay focused enough to make the right food choices. What I like best about MFP is that not only does it track my calories, but also my protein, carbs, fats, sodium, and sugar content. This week I gained a pound, but I when I looked back at my journal I realized I went over budget in my sodium, carbs, and sugar content. With the help of MFP, I can now pinpoint my reasons for potential weight gain vs purely guessing why I had a weight gain. Good luck on your journey.

Wish they had a like button to acknowledge that you agree with somebody else's post.
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Your approach to eating sounds like mine. I have lost 20kg (44 pounds) - admittedly have put some back on :blushing: but I did this following a sensible eating plan and generous calorie allowance with MFP (I eat more than MFP suggests as I think MFP too low). I haven't tried WW so cannot comment on that (certainly not on the public forum) but I don't believe in very restrictive dieting. Friend me if you like.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    No need at all to eat processed foods on WW...and points are allocated before exercise, though you are encouraged to eat back exercise points if you choose to. In addition are the weekly points that you can use if you choose to...plenty of calories actually.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I've never been on WW but you're right, tracking your food, your Real foods here will help!!!!

Good foods in, exercise out and accountability with friends = Success!!!!

For WW the accountability is that weekly weigh in, here, we can keep up with you! or be in small groups to help keep track of how you're doing.

Welcome!!!!
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

totally agree
  • WrenEileen
    Options
    I to am a WW and Welcome to the Board.
    :smile:
  • Bekkah1552
    Options
    I've also discovered that MFP and WW are fairly similar, but the food database here is a million times better :smile:
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I lost 23kg (50lbs) with Weight Watchers but I didn't like the lack of emphasis on macros. I found it good to get me into a habit of tracking my food and weighing and measuring portion sizes, but I also found the meeting very repetitive after I'd been there a few months. I had one really good leader and then swapped meetings because we moved and struck one that didn't seem to be able to think by herself. The second one encouraged me to eat as little as possible, although both leaders encouraged eating as little processed as possible. They didn't particularly push low/no fat, but did try and show us, as a group, how we could get more food for the points by utilising lower calorie and lower fat foods in our diet.

In the end, I find that MFP lets me track my macros and my exercise much better, and it doesn't cost me anything. I like seeing the calories that I've actually eaten, and I've learned about what calories I should be eating, rather than going off a magic number that WW says is right for me. I've now lost 38.3kg (85lbs) using MFP to track since this time last year. I wouldn't go back to WW, although I think it can and does work for some people.
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I did ww'ers back in the day before propoints and lost 25 kilos, I love the concept of saving points but I like mfp and counting calories much better - this database is so much better for starters. I also like the fact that accidently forgetting to say skim milk and getting a full fat cappuccino doesnt send me into a panic attack any more. I feel calorie counting does give you a little more leeway to enjoy chocolate and fuller fat greek yoghurt etc. without meaning you have to eat veggies only for dinner, although I do miss saving points!
  • Tootslarue202
    Tootslarue202 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I've been on WW since I was 9. I would loose some then gain it. Tracking is a big key. I know what you mean about how they push you to eat Fat free this and that because they did at my meetings, then they used to push their product. I felt annoyed but until the leader told us that corporate was going to fire her if she didn't mention it every time. People made a point in the meeting thou that a lot of their products are processed foods. And much more expensive and a lot less product for the buck. People are cutting back now a days, it's tough to eat healthy foods because they are expensive.
    My opinion I don't like WW. I think they just want your money and they can be restrictive. Now this is my opinion the reason for this is because a good friend of mine was a leader for years! She ran 4 meetings, she helped people get to goal, she went out of her way to set up walking clubs, etc. She even called the people who wanted accountability to offer help when they needed it. Since she was getting people to goal corporate cut her hours down to 1 meeting. People were furious! Everyone tried to jam into her classes they made people leave because of capacity. She told me that they cut down her hours because they told her they weren't making any money by people getting to goal. Which is true. But she said well, don't you want people to get to goal they said to her NO! We aren't making any money. When she told me that I thought well, that's a big cooperation for ya who are money hungry.
    I was sad for her but she was sad because she loved the WW program but when it got to being greedy she quit and she told people why.
    Now she is going back to school to be a Nutritionist. She'd be a great one too!
    I lost all my weight by a Nutritionist. Protein first! I ate about 100 g of protein a day. That's what helped me.
    Good luck!

9962810.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wow! They must have really changes. I did WW and lost 65 pounds by eating real food and some process which was my choice not their emphasize. My problem was not following what I learned after I lost the Wgt. Enjoying MFP! My Wgt is the lowest it has ever been my adult life. We all have to do what works for us. Welcome to MFP!
  • Savannah_416
    Options
    I did WW for 2 yrs and lost 70 lbs until finances finally forced me to give it up. I went to meetings faithfully and never once was I encouraged to eat processed food. 3 ozs of plain grilled chicken is only 3 points a small pita is 2 points. Not much of a difference if you ask me. Furthermore, I have found that the points plus and calories were pretty comparable. Meaning lower calories = lower points. I do hate that I have to count the calories in my fruits and vegetables now when before I could eat them with abandon. Finally, there are plenty of other ways to get your protein. Vegetarians have been doing it forever. With any weight loss program it is a lifestyle change. Whether you are counting points or counting calories you should be learning to eat healthier.
    I know there are plenty of people who do enjoy/appreciate Weight Watchers, but I was feeling very poorly every morning when I was on it. I tried upping all the 0 points fruits and vegetables that I could to maximize what I ate, but they didn't keep me full for long. It was just demoralizing to enter hummus and have it be 4-5 points, that's a lot when you're on just a 27-29 point diet.
  • Savannah_416
    Options
    I hear you, I've been on WW since I was 9. I would loose some then gain it. Tracking is a big key. I know what you mean about how they push you to eat Fat free this and that because they did at my meetings, then they used to push their product. I felt annoyed but until the leader told us that corporate was going to fire her if she didn't mention it every time. People made a point in the meeting thou that a lot of their products are processed foods. And much more expensive and a lot less product for the buck. People are cutting back now a days, it's tough to eat healthy foods because they are expensive.
    My opinion I don't like WW. I think they just want your money and they can be restrictive. Now this is my opinion the reason for this is because a good friend of mine was a leader for years! She ran 4 meetings, she helped people get to goal, she went out of her way to set up walking clubs, etc. She even called the people who wanted accountability to offer help when they needed it. Since she was getting people to goal corporate cut her hours down to 1 meeting. People were furious! Everyone tried to jam into her classes they made people leave because of capacity. She told me that they cut down her hours because they told her they weren't making any money by people getting to goal. Which is true. But she said well, don't you want people to get to goal they said to her NO! We aren't making any money. When she told me that I thought well, that's a big cooperation for ya who are money hungry.
    I was sad for her but she was sad because she loved the WW program but when it got to being greedy she quit and she told people why.
    Now she is going back to school to be a Nutritionist. She'd be a great one too!
    I lost all my weight by a Nutritionist. Protein first! I ate about 100 g of protein a day. That's what helped me.
    Good luck!

9962810.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    First, congratulations on your success! Amazing results!

What you share about WW corporate not wanting people to get to their goals makes a lot of economic sense, but not a lot of humanitarian sense.

While WW does allow you to eat all you want, you are left with very few daily points if you do. I have heard they recently reduced the amount of daily points they allocate to people, which might explain why so many of their recipe's call for fat-free/reduced carb items. For example, on their new 2- week Simple Start plan, a breakfast suggestion is an Egg Pizza which uses, reduced carb English muffin, egg beater, and fat-free cheese.

None if these ingredients are evil, per se, but they are highly processed foods that I opt to stay away from. When I eat the real thing, my points really get added on. So essentially I CAN eat when I want, but have to severely limit myself later.

They do give you extra points to eat if you exercise, but given how weak I was this week, I simply couldn't make it to the gym. And I normally run 3 times a week.

Like I said in my original post, you can lose weight, but how sustainable is it if people are pushed to eat as many fruits and vegetables as they can? It just wasn't realistic for me.
  • Savannah_416
    Options
    Wow! They must have really changes. I did WW and lost 65 pounds by eating real food and some process which was my choice not their emphasize. My problem was not following what I learned after I lost the Wgt. Enjoying MFP! My Wgt is the lowest it has ever been my adult life. We all have to do what works for us. Welcome to MFP!
    From what I've read, they have changed a lot. My guess is that with all the celebrity endorsements (Jennifer Hudson, Jessica Simpson) they want people to see immediate results, and as a result, they've cut the number of points you can have a day and encouraged eating a lot of fat-free foods.

Nothing wrong with that, but if you prefer to eat reduced fat foods instead (2%), I felt very penalized. And for some reason, proteins are a lot of points...they say 3 oz of plain, grilled chicken is 3 points, but most eat 4 oz, and that ups it to 4 points. I don't know, it's not a lot on it's own, but when allocated 27 points total, that feels like a lot.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I lost baby weight very quickly on WW in the late 90's. And then tried again with WW Online a couple of years ago. I found that I'd learned a lot about nutrition and my tastes in a decade, and also had developed my cooking skills too. It is very tedious to figure points when you don't eat many packaged foods. I mean, it's a little tedious here too, but not quite as much. I've found MFP to be very liberating for that reason.

I also found the message boards there to be overrun with gangs :) We have them here, but over there it was like people were paying to get beat up by mean girls. At least here I get it for free. (And they're not as bad here.)

That said, I know many who have been successful with WW because it fits their lifestyle. And that's really the key, we all just need to find our home.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My mum and brother are on Slimming World, which is the plan WW stole their Pure Points thing from! Actually it drives me nuts. Examples of conversations:

Mum: "Have more of this, it's free on SW so you can have as much as you like"
    Me: "I'm not hungry and it still has calories in it so no, I can't have as much as I want."

Me: "I'm having covent garden soup for lunch"
    Mum: "That's 10 sins, which is about 500 calories because 1 sin is about 50 calories. You should be eating the SW approved soups"
    I say nothing, google later and discover covent garden is abou 186 calories, same as slimming world approved.

And the most irritating
    Me: "The Mayo clinical (and other advice) says you should aim for about 30% fat in your diet, which for me works out at 400 - 500 calories
    Mum: "That's half a tub of margerine! That's totally wrong, that can't possibly be right" Gets the margerine out to prove her point,
    Clearly not understanding that 1g of fat is not 1 calorie, or that you actually need fat in your diet, and indeed that fat is not "fattening", but calories are!

/rant

Sorry, this has been bugging me.

Although the NHS has its faults, some of its advice is good. Its review of SW and WW said that they do not teach about calories and portion sizes so for a long term diet change are not good. I have noticed that some of the stuff they advocate is completely unscientific twaddle. The primary purpose of those diets is not to help people lose weight, it is to make money. This is probably why 80% of people on SW or WW do not acheive and maintain their goal weight over a 2 year period, and 86% do not over a 5 year period. It is not designed for long term healthy life change, it is desiged to keep people paying and coming back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23463006
  • sargessexyone
    Options
    I know there are plenty of people who do enjoy/appreciate Weight Watchers, but I was feeling very poorly every morning when I was on it. I tried upping all the 0 points fruits and vegetables that I could to maximize what I ate, but they didn't keep me full for long. It was just demoralizing to enter hummus and have it be 4-5 points, that's a lot when you're on just a 27-29 point diet.

Yes it can be and I do find that I am eating foods now that I wouldn't have when I was on WW. I realize that WW is not for everyone and I am just saddened that you had such a bad experience because it is an awesome program (at least for me). In any case, the important thing is you didn't let it deter you from your journey. Good luck to you.