I'm SOO confused!

Options
ZB17
ZB17 Posts: 92 Member
So..apologies in advance to my questions which might sound dumb to some...

For the past 10 months, I've been doing cardio without any strength training/weightlifting and have lost about 16 pounds. However, though I do want to lose fat, I also want to "tone up" in order to avoid becoming skinny fat.
I know that people say that one should keep a balance between cardio and weightlifting, but what does that mean for my diet? If I want to decrease my amount of fat, then I should be eating at a deficit, correct? But if I eat at a deficit, can I still become toned?

Also, as a pear-shaped lady, should i be concerned about gaining inches in my lower body if I start lifting? I do want to see greater definition in my arms, back, abdominal area, etc. but I don't want larger thighs. =/ I know women don't bulk up easily like men do, but the last thing I want is to gain inches. For those of you who do lift, what is your opinion on StrongLifts 5x5 for a beginner like me?

Thanks, you all!

Replies

• klgibb1
    Options
    I love weightlifting and I am a VERY curvy girl!! Its all in the way you lift. Also there are other fitness programs that can help you tone up without lifting!! Have you ever tried anything like P90X or T25 or Slim in 6?! These are amazing at home fitness programs where you dont have to worry about a gym membership and they have guarentees so if you dont like them you can get your money back!
  • EricRazorbacks
    EricRazorbacks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, you'll probably want to keep eating at a deficit. While you almost surely won't see any muscle gains in a deficit, lifting weights (along with adequate protein consumption) will help you preserve the muscle you have. As you shed fat and start more fully exposing the muscle you have hopefully maintained while lifting, you stand a better shot of achieving the toned look you probably have pictured.

Stronglifts is a good beginner program. It is a barbell routine that uses compound lifts. For the lifts, read up on form (Starting Strength is like $10 for the e version or go crazy on google) and watch some YouTube videos on form. Start light like the program preaches. If you have to go lighter than the barbell, no worries. I've seen a Stronglifts women group on here too, and I'm sure they can help you out more.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I know that people say that one should keep a balance between cardio and weightlifting, but what does that mean for my diet? If I want to decrease my amount of fat, then I should be eating at a deficit, correct? But if I eat at a deficit, can I still become toned?

I have wondered exactly the same thing. I keep reading posts that say you can't gain muscle if you eat at a deficit, but I still have several more pounds to lose. What to do?
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yes, you'll probably want to keep eating at a deficit. While you almost surely won't see any muscle gains in a deficit, lifting weights (along with adequate protein consumption) will help you preserve the muscle you have. As you shed fat and start more fully exposing the muscle you have hopefully maintained while lifting, you stand a better shot of achieving the toned look you probably have pictured.

Stronglifts is a good beginner program. It is a barbell routine that uses compound lifts. For the lifts, read up on form (Starting Strength is like $10 for the e version or go crazy on google) and watch some YouTube videos on form. Start light like the program preaches. If you have to go lighter than the barbell, no worries. I've seen a Stronglifts women group on here too, and I'm sure they can help you out more.
    Thanks, I was still typing while your post came up!
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Stronglifts for 3 1/2 months & have been in a deficit the whole time. While I may not have GAINED muscle, I can tell you, I sure do FEEL and SEE muscle that I never noticed before! My weight loss has slowed way down since I started lifting, so don't get discouraged if that happens to you, too. I still do cardio and I eat back all my exercise calories. I don't give myself any calories for lifting. My question for the more experienced is; how do I transition to only/mostly lifting when I've been eating back my (cardio) exercise calories? I'm worried I'll be hungry on lifting days since I don't get extra calories for it.
  • ZB17
    Options

Fantastic! Thanks for your help.
  • ZB17
    Options
    I have been doing Stronglifts for 3 1/2 months & have been in a deficit the whole time. While I may not have GAINED muscle, I can tell you, I sure do FEEL and SEE muscle that I never noticed before! My weight loss has slowed way down since I started lifting, so don't get discouraged if that happens to you, too. I still do cardio and I eat back all my exercise calories. I don't give myself any calories for lifting. My question for the more experienced is; how do I transition to only/mostly lifting when I've been eating back my (cardio) exercise calories? I'm worried I'll be hungry on lifting days since I don't get extra calories for it.

So although your weight loss has slowed down, have you seen a decrease in inches after you started weightlifting?
  • caviggia
    caviggia Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I have wondered exactly the same thing. I keep reading posts that say you can't gain muscle if you eat at a deficit, but I still have several more pounds to lose. What to do?

Weight lifting is beneficial to start at any time. It not only helps maintain muscle you have while eating at a deficit, but it is beneficial to your metabolism. When you do cardio, you burn when you are in motion. With weight lifting, that burn continues for 24-48 hours. When I first lost weight, I did both cardio and weight lifting and it helped maintain my muscle and avoid 'skinny/fat' that we all hear about.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I only measure every 60 days, but yes, measurements are decreasing each time.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options

You can definitely give yourself some calories after strength training! Google it or search on MFP.. there are lots of ways to calculate an estimate and some good websites. In general I see people give themselves 150-350 per hour of strength training based on their stats.
  • greggrieves
    Options
    Keep the calorie total the same, but increase your protein and decrease fat and carbs. It will keep your weight loss on track but allow muscle to grow. Eating right is key to changing body composition, not just the workout.
  • smand2000
    Options
    Just because you won't gain new muscle while lifting at a calorie deficit, weight training will still significantly improve the form and function of your existing muscle mass. As a newbie, you will gain strength and look better.

As others have said, just remember to up your protein intake (while still remaining at your chosen calorie goal).

So go ahead and start lifting! You won't regret it.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Keep the calorie total the same, but increase your protein and decrease fat and carbs. It will keep your weight loss on track but allow muscle to grow. Eating right is key to changing body composition, not just the workout.

Okay. So let me wrap this around my head. So my existing muscles will grow, just I will not gain new muscle on calorie deficit. But they will grow and be more shapelier or define?

Just trying to understand this from my point of view.

Thx ahead of time for answers.
  • caviggia
    caviggia Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just because you won't gain new muscle while lifting at a calorie deficit, weight training will still significantly improve the form and function of your existing muscle mass. As a newbie, you will gain strength and look better.

As others have said, just remember to up your protein intake (while still remaining at your chosen calorie goal).

So go ahead and start lifting! You won't regret it.

^^^ this... When eating at a deficit, as long as your not losing more than 1 1/2lbs a week, you will maintain muscle and improve 'strength' and you will have some noob gains

However, unless your eating just around maintenance you will not have a slow muscle gain over time, you need the surplus of calories to 'gain' more muscle over time.

Unless your on a chemical like steroids, it's unlikely and scientifically improbable to gain muscle on a deficit of 500 calories, no matter how much protein you eat. BUT as a noob, you will see slight muscle increase, an increase in strength, and overall composition differences as you maintain muscle and burn everything else, then your muscles begin to 'Show' more as you lose.

Hope this helps ;o) goodluck on your journey
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Okay. So let me wrap this around my head. So my existing muscles will grow, just I will not gain new muscle on calorie deficit. But they will grow and be more shapelier or define?

Your existing muscle will become stronger but it will not grow larger. You may see an increase in size after lifting but that is just an increase of blood and water in the muscle and goes down after an hour or two.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options

Recomposition is much more complicated than that. Muscle CAN grow in a deficit but it is very difficult and the average person will not succeed at growing muscle with that approach.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    edit
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options

EDit: Like I see people are a thin but have nice looking "toned" legs, butt, etc, and did this while losing weight... is toning, "lifting your existing muscles" or providing more "definition" to existing muscles.
    Your existing muscle will become stronger but it will not grow larger. You may see an increase in size after lifting but that is just an increase of blood and water in the muscle and goes down after an hour or two.

Okay so when I see before and after pictures of a person butt looking lifted and bigger and they didn't do a calorie surplus to gain it just squats, etc, what does that exactly mean? I'm so confused... Like what does the existing muscle do? That is my main focus is to tone or lift back area.

Thank you again.
    Lifting in a deficit tightens the muscles. Those pics you see of the butt being lifted is from the muscle tightening. If they actually added inches to the area they did it by eating at a surplus while lifting. Lifting can change he shape of the muscle and make it sit higher and "perky" giving the illusion of larger measurements when in truth the inches have gone down.
  • Sreneesa
    Options

EDit: Like I see people are a thin but have nice looking "toned" legs, butt, etc, and did this while losing weight... is toning, "lifting your existing muscles" or providing more "definition" to existing muscles.

Okay so when I see before and after pictures of a person butt looking lifted and bigger and they didn't do a calorie surplus to gain it just squats, etc, what does that exactly mean? I'm so confused... Like what does the existing muscle do? That is my main focus is to tone or lift back area.

Thank you again.
    Lifting in a deficit tightens the muscles. Those pics you see of the butt being lifted is from the muscle tightening. If they actually added inches to the area they did it by eating at a surplus while lifting. Lifting can change he shape of the muscle and make it sit higher and "perky" giving the illusion of larger measurements when in truth the inches have gone down.

Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooo much! The exact answer I was searching for and quite relieved to know that it can change the shape of the muscle. Ill start there and when I get down to my ideal weight may possibly build more muscle.

Again, so grateful for this answer and relieved. lol
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way. If you are a female and you are afraid of lifting because "I don't want bigger thighs", you need to ask yourself two questions.

1: Am I underweight to the point that I have no fat at all in the places I am afraid will get bigger?

2: Am I taking large amounts of horse steroids?

If the answer to both of those questions is "No", then you can stop worrying. It's tough for women to put on muscle. I know... "But I'm the exception! I put on muscle really easily". No. Just no. Any muscle you add will counteract it's growth by helping you burn fat even while you're sleeping. Lifting will not make you bigger. It will make you smaller. And even if you did get down to an ideal weight, look in the mirror and think "Gee, my thighs are now too muscular", it is sooooo much easier to shrink muscle than it is to shrink fat.