Any 50+ years old out there?

Options
I am 50+ and looking for friends, support and inspiration from this age group as we tend to have different challenges losing weight at this age than at 25 yrs old. Good luck to all!!

Replies

• reggie7727
    reggie7727 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I am 52, soon to be 53. I have found running is a life saver. I have never been a runner and started a year ago and have since completed 4 marathons. It is easier and more fun than you think. As a bonus when you run this much you can eat without guilt:glasses:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I am a proud 53 year old and am always happy to give support! We are survivors, baby! Woo-hoo! Let every birthday be a celebration!
  • H2Odaughter
    H2Odaughter Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am 50+ and looking for friends, support and inspiration from this age group as we tend to have different challenges losing weight at this age than at 25 yrs old. Good luck to all!!

Check out this group .... Fifty, Female, & Fun! Very supportive group of women!
  • WrenEileen
    Options
    Hi I am 61 and wanting to make a some weigh loss friends I have to drop a few and
    need all the help I can find.. :smile:
  • Kanndj
    Kanndj Posts: 25
    Options
    Hey there. I am 51, and boy, do I see a difference in losing weight from when I was younger! I gained 40 pounds with each of my pregnancies in my 30s, and I lost that weight easily while chasing kids and changing diapers. I also changed careers, and I am much more sedentary now, so that is not helping me a bit. To make things worse, I had sickness in 2012, and I have not lost the weight that came from lying around feeling too sick to even walk up and down the driveway. Plus, I ate too much comfort food during that time as well. Having struggled already with finally losing 6 pounds only to gain it back the minute I was not watching every calorie I ate, it took me a while to decide to try again. I am hoping that having some support online will help me not give up. Also, with the recession and my time off with that year when I was so sick, we are struggling financially. Since I work on production and make more if I work more, it is very easy for me to decide it is more important for me to work (or even sleep) that 30 or 45 minutes rather than exercise, so someone to encourage me there would be a bonus.
  • queenbee5933
    queenbee5933 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on my ankle a few months ago and still healing (and gained lots of weight). I do hope to be able to walk a marathon by the fall. Perhaps try to run next spring.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I"m 48, so not there but getting close.

Although I also have two little ones, which is probably different than most. I Have to get/keep fit for them! to keep Up with them.

I'm finally in a decent routine but I had a leg injury and man even a week off, or light workouts, shows me how Easy it is to fall into the old routines of "nah, tomorrow I will do that".

Our weight loss is different, but its more important! :)

Welcome!
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 51! Power to the 50 year olds!! We can and we WILL do this! And we will look smoking hot!! Woo hoo!!!
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    53 here and enjoying it! We can all do this!
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, and been LCHF for the past year. Great results in terms of body composition and I feel much better.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    56 here and been at this for a tad over 3 months, loosing weight has been real easy without any grains in my diet, and I will not be going back to them soon, they were not nice to me so I am returning the attitude. :bigsmile:
  • Sweeteepye52
    Sweeteepye52 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and new to posting on myfitness. Not sure how it all works, but excited and looking forward to being connected to others with like goals and experiences.:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Just turned 50 today!!! But people always think I'm in my late 30's early 40's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • karenowen60
    karenowen60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just turned 50 today!!! But people always think I'm in my late 30's early 40's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Happy 50th!!!!
  • vick441
    vick441 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Feeling way better in my 53 than I was in my 40's! Yoga is great for any age, but for this is just ideal, mine is Bikram yoga. Like he said - “You’re never too old. You’re never too sick. It’s never too late to start from scratch and do yoga!”
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to MFP. I am 54 and on MFP for a little over one year. Very slow at losing these last 10 pounds, but I am on often and often log food and exercise. You may add me as a friend.
  • 62smt
    62smt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just started with MFP (two days down!) and turned 52 earlier this month. Would love for you golden gals and guys to friend me!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 in October this year. Do I have to "weight" til then? I MADE A FUNNY!!! Thank you, I'll be here all year. Don't forget to tip your weight staff. :laugh:
  • isidoramramirez
    Options
    I Am 50, Recently lost 30lbs trying to keep that off So now I go to the gym and exercise daily. Trying stay fitand eat right. Also working on 30 challenges. Keep up the good work people.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    52 here, and been back in the gym for just over a year now after about 12 or 13 years of not doing much at all. It's certainly a lot harder now than it was in my 30s - more aches and pains, and less flexibility, for example, and old sporting injuries coming back to bug me. Once I joined MFP in the middle of last year and started to get a handle on what I was eating every day I started making better progress, and have been on a steady fat loss path since then, while maintaining most of my muscle.

I had my drivers licence renewed this week, and I look younger in my licence photo than the photo on my old licence taken 5 years ago. It's great to feel healthy and strong again.