dr oz 3 day detox cleanse

Options
Many people on my facebook page are doing this. They claim to loose about 6-8 pounds and inches in three days. The smoothies are healthish looking What do you know about this?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It's bogus. They lose water (and maybe muscle) weight, and then will gain it all back in a couple of days.

And if Dr. Oz promotes it, you know it's a scam.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Your kidneys and liver do a wonderful job with removing toxins and impurities from your body, you don't need to detox or cleanse your body....unless you don't trust your body. Harvard University did a study on these cleanses and detoxes and wrote a up an article on it on their Harvard Medical page.
  • blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE minus 10--20 % if wanting to lose weight. Eat at or above your BMR. Eat healthy and Exercise. Watch Macronutrients and enjoy your new healthy lifestyle. Do what works forever not what works temporarily. If you need help figuring all these out check the forums or message me. Good Luck! It will work!
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    So you don't need to get rid of crap?? I know almost every natural health page talks about how we need detoxies.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So you don't need to get rid of crap?? I know almost every natural health page talks about how we need detoxies.

Please disregard information from pages promoting detoxes. They are not necessary.

See here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1159755-looking-for-a-detox-cleanse
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

Please disregard information from pages promoting detoxes. They are not necessary.

See here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1159755-looking-for-a-detox-cleanse

This. You don't need a detox. It's yet another crazy things marketers are using to take advantage of people's insecurity and lack of knowledge.
  • mom2rpkp
    mom2rpkp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Your body has a liver and kidneys to de-tox. Yes, we overload their capacity with environmental toxins, stress, and all the highly processed food we put in our bodies, which they are not designed to process. So eat real, wholesome food in moderation and move more. Consistency and sanity win the race over fads and quick fixes, every time.
  • kahdxoom
    kahdxoom Posts: 129
    Options
    It's bogus. They lose water (and maybe muscle) weight, and then will gain it all back in a couple of days.

Yeah, Dr Oz has pretty much lost all credibility awhile ago.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Listen to the wealth of experience from the successful folks above. Particularly my beloved SideSteel.

That being said, I shall now only refer to any mention of detoxes as the "Detoxies," so thank you for that.
  • kbf2107
    kbf2107 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I will start by saying that I don't have any scientific studies to cite that prove/disprove the benefits of detoxing, so I'm sorry about that. However, I will speak from personal experience. I've done the Dr. Oz Detox twice and I usually do it when I want to really get back into my clean eating regime. It motivates me psychologically to keep eating well. I've never weighed/ measured myself before or after my detox, but it made me feel a LOT better: after, I had a ton of energy, my skin cleared up, and I just felt a little lighter on my feet. I've never viewed the detox as a "quick fix" to lose weight quickly. It's just something that I do periodically whenever I feel like my eating habits are beginning to escape me. Hope this makes sense and best of luck with your journey!
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Unless you are actually ill and need medical assistance, your body is able to process without needing a detox. Lose weight through sustainable lifestyle changes.

"But the idea that your body needs help getting rid of toxins has "no basis in human biology," says Frank Sacks, MD, of the Harvard School of Public Health. Your organs and immune system handle those duties, no matter what you eat."

http://www.webmd.com/diet/detox-diets
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/frank-sacks/
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've seen a pin on Pinterest circulating of this honey, lemon, cinnamon Dr OZ cleanse. It claims that you can lose up to 20lbs in 10 days. :laugh: I'm am trying for the life of me to see how any sane person could believe that... :noway:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

^ This. Dr. Oz is a quack.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I don't think you can lose much actual muscle tissue in 3 days. What it does accomplish is depleting your glycogen stores in the muscle and giving the illusion of weightloss. As soon as you go back to eating enough, you replenish those stores and shatter the illusion.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    cleanse=nonsense
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Many people on my facebook page are doing this. They claim to loose about 6-8 pounds and inches in three days. The smoothies are healthish looking What do you know about this?

Many people on your Facebook page need to stop watching crappy TV doctors and educate themselves about how the liver and kidneys work.
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like to use green smoothies (I've done some modified Dr. Oz smoothies) but I make sure to eat OTHER FOOD too so I get enough calories/fat/protein. That way I get lots of veggies and fruit but I'm not moody from not eating enough. Also- the Dr. Oz plan uses 3 green smoothies a day- that's too much for me! 1 a day is good. Then maybe some other veggies in a salad or soup for my other meals. And then other food- grains, legumes, meat, dairy. :smile: