THE MYTH OF MOTIVATION (AND WHAT YOU NEED INSTEAD)

Options

Replies

• Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Bump. This is great!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Bump. Love this!!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I think I just fell in love...with this post...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If we can motivate ourselves to shower and floss our teeth every living day, we can motivate ourselves to Dorito in moderation and move our butts for 30 minutes.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Bump for more reading when I have some time.
  • takeshia2
    Options
    Great post! Thank you for sharing.
  • connieleavens
    connieleavens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump - To read on those days I feel like making excuses
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    This is from fitness blogger Vic Margay.
    http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/

“Motivated, motivated, hell yeah I’m motivated. Ooo Ah, I wanna kill somebody. Killlllll!!!”

As part of the Army’s brainwashing process (better known as Basic Training), mantras like the one above shouted in unison by a platoon of young men with shaved heads often made Basic Training feel like some sort of twisted psycho cheerleading camp instead of preparation to become Infantry soldiers.

But we were motivated.

warface.jpeg

Or were we? If you include fear of punishment and peer pressure as motivation, then the environment at Ft. Benning was certainly motivating.

But were we self-motivated? No, most of us standing in heel-to-toe lines and referring to our new Army buddies by last name only at Ft. Benning, Georgia in the autumn of 1998 were not self- motivated. And it is acquiring and maintaining this self-motivation that I am often asked about in the realm of diet and fitness. But here’s the thing…

Lack of motivation to follow a healthy diet and commit to consistent exercise is a myth.

You are going to die. And neglecting your health and fitness is more likely to hasten your departure. Furthermore, the days you do have will be spent with less energy and more pain if you choose to eat crap and be sedentary. The motivation, the “why”, to exercise and eat nutritious foods in appropriate quantity is present and strong. The bigger mystery is why we choose to ignore the need for proper diet and exercise in the face of obvious requirement.

We do not need motivation. We need decision.

3315ca2621df11e2a64f22000a1f968e_7.jpeg

We need unwavering non-negotiable decision. And yes, I know that the pic above was not taken during Hurricane Sandy (although I thought it was when I posted it to my Facebook page). But it was taken during a torrential down pour at some point in recent history. It absolutely captures the fortitude and decision of those soldiers to stand by their post no matter what hardship may be encountered.

If those soldiers can decide to endure the elements, then we can decide to put down the damned pizza and beer.

Or forgo the free bagels at the office. Or wake up a half hour early to exercise. Or keep a food journal everyday. Or what ever else we know we need to do but keep failing to commit to because it is “hard”.

Enduring chemotherapy is hard.

Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.

Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.

Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.

But putting down the cookies and picking up the spinach?
    That’s only as hard as the story we tell ourselves.

What is often called lack of motivation is actually lack of discipline and lack of habit. I’ve posted about discipline and habit before – those entries lack the sexy headlines such as “1 weird trick to lose belly fat” and often do not get more than the cursory glance. And that’s unfortunate because it is discipline and habit that hold the keys to not only losing weight or getting strong, but to anything that we want in life.

You already know what to do to lose weight and get in shape. The smaller details will vary but the big picture is always to eat real food in appropriate quantity and move in a manner that is continually challenging. The problem is not lack of knowledge or lack of motivation. The problem is lack of decision.

Decide. Now.

Share your thoughts on motivation, decision, and the mental/emotional hurdles we face when it comes to diet, fitness, and weight loss in the comments below.

Stay strong

"What is often called lack of motivation is actually lack of discipline and lack of habit. I’ve posted about discipline and habit before – those entries lack the sexy headlines such as “1 weird trick to lose belly fat” and often do not get more than the cursory glance. And that’s unfortunate because it is discipline and habit that hold the keys to not only losing weight or getting strong, but to anything that we want in life."

"The problem is lack of decision."

^^ I like this part of the post! Bump!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One of the few zombie posts I don't mind seeing over and over and over again. Kinda cool too as this post was my first introduction to the good captain.
  • jdub660
    jdub660 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I need to remember this and make it habit
  • coopscoopc
    coopscoopc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Bump: How do I add this link to my home page? I don't want to lose it because I think this should be ready every single time I fall of the motivation wagon.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hated it.

"You are going to die. And neglecting your health and fitness is more likely to hasten your departure."

^ Whoever said that being a certain amount of kg over your healthy weight is going to kill you in advance? Not all overweight people are unhealthy, especially if they're not consistently overweight. Also, since my life is going to be that short, I might prefer to enjoy food rather than eating less most of my life, so this doesn't really work as a motivational/or/whatever speech.

Also,

"Enduring chemotherapy is hard.
    Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.
    Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.
    Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.
    But putting down the cookies and picking up the spinach? That’s only as hard as the story we tell ourselves."

^ This is completely irrational. Someone is ALWAYS going to be suffering more than I am. Someone right now is suffering less than I am. Does this make anyone's suffering irrelevant? No, it doesn't. That's just not how things work. Nobody ever said starting a diet was as painful as going to war. Nobody ever even tried to make this comparision. So where's the need to make such a comparision? We're human beings, and I didn't know there was a measurable scale for feelings.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Awesome article! Thanks for posting and resurrecting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Good post for the spirit of it...but...

Those men, soldiers standing in that down pour don't have a choice, it wasn't their decision...it was an order..

I know that from being ex military myself and doing centaph duty on rainy cold Novembers...no choice.

But I do feel movitvation is a myth..my profile says how I feel...you either want it bad enough or you don't....end of that quote is "it's a choice you make".

And I believe that.
  • uclaxtina
    uclaxtina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. This really hits home and i'll come back to this as needed.
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    Bump. Important distinction, I think. There are some 4:45ams where I'm not feeling very motivated to get out of bed and work out--but discipline and habit carries me through. They're all words, of course, but it underlines that it's not a mythical external force that keeps us going. We need to continually decide to make the right choices.
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    That's a good post. Motivation can wane. It is touch and go, and largely based on feelings. When you make a DECISION to commit, that involves character. Decisions determine the mindset. The mindset dictates your actions. The actions reveal your character. It's all important for the DECISION to be made. But what's trly important is that the RIGHT DECISION be made. We all have a choice and each choice represents a decision. Just like the soldiers standing at the post in the torrential rain, we have to make a choice to stand by our commitments, regardless of what factors may try to sway us. And don't get it twisted, those soldiers do have a choice. It is true that they were given orders. But even the obeying of the order represents a choice...a decision. I tend to be a bit hardocre when it comes to stuff like this, so I'm going to close. But this was a good post. Our "motivation" needs to based on the internal workings of our character and it starts with the almighty DECISION! Thank you for sharing!

~Nathan
  • irishladyo
    irishladyo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you!
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump