Staying on track while sick?

Options
hey there. I started feeling sick a couple days ago, it's likely to be the flu. so here is my question, I know that it's very important to continue eating healthy whenever you are sick like this, because your body needs the nutrients. but it seems like nothing really tastes good, so I'm just eating whatever is available, which includes fast food since I don't feel like cooking. How can I continue to eat super healthy and still try to recover as quickly as possible? I know it takes mostly will power, I'm just having a hard time since I can't work out, it is messing with my whole motivation. Thank you!

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    drink water and sleep lots... and dont workout...

try to eat decent

get antibiotics if necessary

feel better

ETA: Your training performance will be subpar and it willl almost assuredly make you stay sick longer (ive done it. it sucked). Dont feel guilty about missing training.. recovery is far more important and itll have you back doing useful training sooner rather than wasting your time doing a crap job while feeling like a pile of ....
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I always have chicken broth in my pantry for this reason. I just warm some broth with crackers until I feel stronger. Take out Chinese soup works too. Don't forget to hydrate. hope you feel better soon.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    hey there. I started feeling sick a couple days ago, it's likely to be the flu. so here is my question, I know that it's very important to continue eating healthy whenever you are sick like this, because your body needs the nutrients. but it seems like nothing really tastes good, so I'm just eating whatever is available, which includes fast food since I don't feel like cooking. How can I continue to eat super healthy and still try to recover as quickly as possible? I know it takes mostly will power, I'm just having a hard time since I can't work out, it is messing with my whole motivation. Thank you!

You can eat fast food, cookies, junk, etc. as long as it doesn't put you over your calories your are perfectly fine. The key is rest, taking ALL of your prescriptions if the Doc. gave you any. Don't rush to get back to cardio or the gym. Taking a few days off won't effect anything. Every 3-4 months I take about 2-3 weeks off from the gym for a mental/physical break.... we all need it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    plenty of fluids and rest. taking a few days to rest and get better is insignificant in the grand scheme or your actual whole life.
  • creativehi
    Options
    Often illness brings into focus what we wish we could be doing when we feel healthy.

Once, back when I was a pack-a-day smoker, I got food poisoning. At that time I vowed not to smoke anymore.
    Unfortunately as soon as I felt better I forgot what I knew when I was really sick. Being sick gives us the chance to reflect on the value of health and what you want to do with your life energy when you do feel better. People who are in hospitals only have time to sit around and watch TV; is that what you want to do with your free time?

We only have so many hours and days of health. How can we use each hour of our lives to benefit the people we love the most?

When you are ill. Take time to do little things like....

Write letters,
    reorganize your closet,
    or read a book of poetry.
    We often take small simple tasks for granted, but when we are sick they might be at just the right pace for us.

I tend to “veg” in front of the TV, but reading that book I’ve been meaning to finish or writing an email to my sister wouldn’t take much energy either.

Do not work out, and eat light food,because this time our liver fuctioning become slow.
  • strongfreebold
    Options
    This was a lovely post, and just what i needed today. I am home with a tweaked ankle and a bad head cold. I have been catching up on all the boring work I needed to do. But I also need to do something delightful. Thanks for reminding me.