Favorite Recipes 500 Calories & Under

Options
Hello yall, my calorie restrictions are currently set at 1600 per day. I have done a good job so far but am curious to hear people's favorite FILLING recipes with 500 or fewer calories. Breakfast is easy so I'm mainly asking for lunch and dinner ideas. What's your "go-to?"

Replies

• fchavez
    fchavez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eating Well website. Lots of good recipes.
    My personal favorite is the Chilaquiles Caserol
  • DavidCHobby
    Options
    Not a recipe, but my very favorite 500 calorie lunch or dinner is Chipotle, configured thusly:

Carnitas burrito bowl, with white rice, veggies, tomatillo, hot salsa, sour cream (I ask for a little less than normal) and lettuce. This nets in right at 500 cals and feels like you are absolutely breaking the bank on a splurge day.

Mind that you get the bowl and not the normal tortilla burrito. Just the wrap adds nearly 300 extra cals.
  • jennynewbury
    jennynewbury Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love to do soups and stews in my slow cooker - today I had Chicken and Chorizo Jamabalya soup (cup of rice rice, chicken (1lb), chorizo (4oz), 2 tins tomatoes, large onion, 2peppers, celery, cayenne pepper and chicken stock - done on high in a slow cooker for 2 hours made 5 servings at about 440 calories per serving) - very very tasty and filling
  • DavidCHobby
    Options
    As for recipes, here is my go-to lunch or dinner when eating at home:

1 Homemade roasted chicken thigh, with bone and skin (I do these spiced many different ways, for variety, 'cause I eat these A LOT.)

Large baby arugula salad with:

• 2 cups arugula
    • 1 oz. chevre goat cheese
    • 5 walnut halves, chopped
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    • sea salt to taste
    • fresh-ground black pepper to taste

= 457 cals.

Lose the walnuts or the cheese and you have enough left over to add a roasted drumstick into the mix.
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you would be interested in checking out my Pinterest page, message me! I cook a ton from there that is under 500 calories a meal :) I also have some homemade hot pockets pinned (but I make mine with lower cal ingredients and wheat so they are less calories) for when you are on the go!
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sauté and they can be huge!

I am a big eater and I like to make my calories counts at dinner. :laugh:

I either use shrimp, tofu or chicken breast and a lot of veggies to make my sauté. I use some bottled sauce or make my own and I usually have a full plate under 500 calories!

My salads are also huge. Again i choose a protein and load up on the veggies! I am careful with the vinaigrette I choose and I'm good.

I also take a lot of recipes on eating well.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    500 calories of steak
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I like tuna melts.

Toast a Thomas' English muffin (120 cals).

Mix one pouch of light tuna in water (90 cals) plus a little mayo (30-40 cals) and mustard (0 cals). Add some sweet pickles or peppers or other condiment if you like (~20 cals).

Put tuna mix on toasted muffin, top with one or two slices of cheese (80-100 cals per slice). Broil until cheese is melted and bubbling and turns golden brown on top.

If you used one slice of cheese, have some fruit or nuts or whatever on the side.
  • roseailish123
    roseailish123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love Tomatoes on Toast for lunch.

OR

Red split pea lentils with spinach and tomatoes.

I also like to snack on frozen peas ( obviously cooked )
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    These all look so good. I'm bumping so that I can come back and creep on yummy food. :D

Also..anything out of the Weight Watchers One Pot Dinners is usually right around 400-500 calories. Delicious!!!!!
  • MsTT80
    MsTT80 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wholewheat Spaghetti with Salmon, Spinach and Chili.

Just flake some cooked salmon fillet into the cooked pasta along with some wilted baby spinach leaves, garlic, fresh red chilli, lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil.

Lots of flavour, just be careful about your pasta serving size!
  • JFimmano
    JFimmano Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    homemade hot pockets?! I would love that recipe!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    16 oz of chicken breast ~440 calories.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome low cal broccoli soup.. I love it. The entire pot is 400 cal

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    2 (10 ounce) packages chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
    1-2 potatoes, peeled and chopped (depending how thick you like your soup.. I put 2)
    4 cups chicken broth
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, and saute onion and garlic until tender. Mix in broccoli, potato, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.

With a hand mixer or in a blender, puree the mixture until smooth. Return to the saucepan, and reheat. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    One of my favs is this one. It is SO GOOD and was one of the most downloaded recipes of 2013.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html
    each serving is 190.. and it has so much flavour that I usually only take half a serving.

I use basmati rice (one cup cooked is 320 cals), or make little tacos. Corn tortillas (two for 100), some cubed Jimaca (30g is 11 cals), and some cubed Avocado (40g is 60 cals).

Tasty, filling, and under 500!
  • page8040
    page8040 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone!! All great suggestions. I know 500 calories is generous enough to work with, but you know how you tend to get stuck in ruts of cooking the same thing all the time.

PS- how do you "bump" ??
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone!! All great suggestions. I know 500 calories is generous enough to work with, but you know how you tend to get stuck in ruts of cooking the same thing all the time.

PS- how do you "bump" ??

You just post something and the thread pops back up to the top.

I like to make mushroom cap pizzas. I use the big portabello caps, then fill them with tomato sauce and pile them up with whatever toppings I want to make my faux pizza. Takes about 12 minutes to bake at 350 degrees. I can usually sneak in lots of high-density vitamins this way and my portabello "crust" is less than 35 calories.