Exercise while in a boot-Need Ideas

Options
I will be in a boot for the next month and wondering what exercises people have done to assist in losing weight. I had walked in the boot on the sidewalk and in the mall, but the next day my foot still hurt. I do NOT have access to a pool, so I know that may be good, but I can't make that happen. Thanks for the ideas!

Replies

• KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The first question I have is why you are in the boot? Ruptured achilles? Ankle surgery? You should speak with your doctor about appropriate exercise that won't put your recovery back. My sister was in a boot cast for achilles rupture and she didn't do much at first, but found she was able to get on a stationary bike near the end. You might also consider arm crosses as they can get your heart rate up. And an upper body weight routine.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You are pretty limited in a boot. Sorry. I had knee surgery and was on crutches for about three months. I used to go to the gym and I would get on the machines to do my upper body -- the chest press, the shoulder press, the pull-down, the curls. I did not do very heavy weight. But, at least it was something.
  • CappuccinoLover4
    Options
    I'm having to wear a boot due to plantar faciitis. I had been fighting this since October and this is the next step to try to get it feeling better.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'd go for upper body workout and using a bike, while I myself haven't suffered from PF and haven't been ina boot I know an elite runner who suffered from it for a while and luckily skipped the boot but focused on 'resting' his right foot with a whole lot of biking to keep his cardio up, doing upper body work and the like
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I presume this is where change of language has an effect. I'm from the UK and here, a boot is a ' trunk' of a car!! Is a boot, what we call a plaster- hard white thing put over a broken bone. I got very confused as to why you were in a trunk for so long.
  • CappuccinoLover4
    Options
    I learned something new about languages too. I boot isn't a hard plaster, but it is similar. A boot is structured and then has Velcro to tighten around hour foot and up your calf and then a little air pump to tighten it all up. At least you can take it off to drive and shower if you need too.
  • clickchick18
    clickchick18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have spent much time in the boot so I know the frustration (I sprained my ankle 3 times in ine year and was in it total for about 4 months). I found I could use the boot as a weight for my leg. So I could do leg raises and ab stuff. Exercises like planks (on your knees) might work. They also have chair workout videos. I wish you luck!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I learned something new about languages too. I boot isn't a hard plaster, but it is similar. A boot is structured and then has Velcro to tighten around hour foot and up your calf and then a little air pump to tighten it all up. At least you can take it off to drive and shower if you need too.

To add to our language lesson- in some parts of Scotland- a plaster is called a stookie
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Whilst recovering from a broken fibula, I'd ask to be hauled to a local big box store (like Target - has the best wide "racing" aisles) and take the (human powered, not motorized) wheelchair out for some hot laps around the perimeters. No joke! It was great cardio. Just don't overdo it the first time out or your arms will be shot to heck.