People who have been in maintenance for a while. ..

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I still log. I've been a few pounds below mainenance for six months and I don't mind the logging. Probably I could stop, but i have the apps and my computer sot I can do it anytime.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I still log everything everyday. Been over 500 days. Main reason is I'm in the progress of reshaping myself so I lift and eat more for some time and then it's back to cardio and cutting down. Been within a 15lb. range now for about 9 months or so. I have gotten very good at making much better choices but still use it as a reminder and to track my macro ratios.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm not very consistent with my eating and exercising habits, so I need to keep logging for the time being. I do take a week off here and there though without any problems.
  • blueskygbcn
    blueskygbcn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached my goal yet but I know I need to log for life. I have maintained my 30 lb loss for the last 6 months or so. The way Iook at it is that I can spend 5 minutes a day logging for life to ensure my improved health, or I can fall off the bandwagon which will likely result in many many doctors appointments, blood tests, prescriptions, medical bills, etc. Because that is exactly what will happen to me.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    I've been on "maintenance" for about 6 months. I log. Logging helps me maintain the discipline of eating healthy foods and portion control. And, I enjoy the social aspects of MFP. The achievements of my MFP friends and success stories are inspiring.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    This is my third try at maintenance. The first two times I started to gradually gain back the weight I had lost. So now I pretty much plan on logging for the long term. It's been over a year. Honestly it's not something that concerns me-- logging takes all of 5 minutes per day.

That is a good point. . . I can spare 5 minutes a day.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I can maintain without keeping a food diary, but I've started back up to track macros. I'll probably do this for a while and then take a break from tracking again. I like to mix things up every few months :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    i dont log very much through the holidays(oct-dec). But then my pants will tell me its time to start again for springtime.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A major reason I've failed to maintain in the past has been because my eyeballs are not to be trusted as a food measuring device. Took me coming back to MFP yet again to accept that once and for all. Logging will continue to be part of my life, I suspect forever. I consider it a small time and energy investment for the returns I get in peace of mind and success in keeping my weight stable.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Every time I quit logging I would gain weight slowly...

So - logging for life, literally.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for over 6 months now and log every day. It takes me little time and I cherish some of the "friends" I know only through MFP. I am also increasing cardio for my health and it helps me track against goals etc. Plus I'm a little OCD, it helps me feel in control of at least something.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It just depends. Years ago I logged religiously for about 3 years straight... diet didn't vary much during that time (or since for that matter) so I knew roughly what I was eating. Age isn't helping me anymore.. I find I have to work harder to maintain. Keeping an eye on the scale and how the clothes fit help me head it off ot the pass before it gets really out of hand.
  • maureenec
    maureenec Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 2 years - and still log most days (even if not everything). I can now 'guess' portion sizes and now naturally look at calorie compromises - either not both!. I worked hard to lose weight and spent a lot on a new wardrobe. I can't afford to put the weight back on and replace my clothes again.

This is me also. I usually give up on the logging if I'm out with friends and having a good time, but that's usually only once a week. Otherwise, I use logging to keep myself honest.

ETA - I love my new clothes, so there's no way I'm going back!
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Hi

After my 2nd kid was born I came here after 3-4 yrs I couldnt get the baby weight off.
    I was able to maintain for a few years but over the past year weight creeped back on
    So here I am now to loose the 7-9 pounds (depending on what scale I am going by)

I wish I would have been more diligent with counting cals and weighing in wether it was even once per mnth.

Good luck, Kim
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I logged for about 12-18 months post loss, but I didn't want to log food the rest of my life. Life has to return to a somewaht normal state and logging what I eat seemed a bit neurotic. I set up some guidelines to wean myself off the program.

First, I still I step on the scale every morning. If my weight goes 5 lbs above my average weight I will diet a few days and get it back under control.

I find a fairly monotonous diet helps keep my caloric intake in check. Breakfast and lunch are very similar healthy "food is fuel" type meals almost every day. in the evenings I relax and eat pretty much what I want to within reason, including desserts.

I suggest you try some trial separations from MFP. For me, it gets easier with each month that goes by. I even made it through Christmas season without gaining or logging, and I'm as optimistic as ever that I'll keep my weight under control.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't find logging my food to be a burden. It takes 10 minutes max. I spend more time on the social aspects of mfp. But that's optional.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If nothing else, looking straight down, and clearly seeing my belt buckle motivates me.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    And me
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP not to really lose weight as I had already lost 22lbs before I joined to get to my current weight. I use MFP to track macros and nutrition as well as workouts. I have stayed within a 5-6lbs weight range for over 8months And I don't know if that would have been the case if I stopped logging but in any case, I enjoy using the diary on here and it doesn't take that much time. I find it is worth the continued effort to ensure you stay on track & it also gives you useful data and as it can be trickier to maintain than to either lose or gain, it means that you can easily see trends on your weight graph compared to your net calories etc so for me it's really useful for playing with my calorie goals to ensure I stay where I want to be. The prospect of logging indefinitely doesn't bother me as I like it.
  • Sav_Sky
    Sav_Sky Posts: 82
    Options
    I still log. It doesnt bother me. I really think I would fall off track without it