Salad Dressing?

Options
I'm struggling between knowing that low cal has chemical crap in it and knowing that full fat has a lot of calories.

What do you use and why?

Replies

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use the Good Seasons packets and make it at home. But instead of using the recommended amount of oil, I use 2 tablespoons of oil and the rest is water (in addition to the vinegar of course). It is delicious and after refrigeration gets thick. I have served this to guests and they didn't know it was diet.

Sometimes though, I suck up the calories and use Olive Garden Italian dressing. I love it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling between knowing that low cal has chemical crap in it and knowing that full fat has a lot of calories.

What do you use and why?

I use Walden Farms because I'm lactose intolerant and it's damned hard to find salad dressing without either lactose or corn syrup (which I also can't eat) in it.
    That being said, There are great recipes online to make your own lower-calorie dressings that don't have the chemicals you want to avoid in them, and if you eat the full fat versions, just adjust the rest of your daily calories to make room for it.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do the same with the Good Seasons, more water, less oil. I also will use straight up balsamic vinegar for a no caloirie dressing. When I splurge, I make my own green goddess dressing. There are a lot of low cal and low oil dressing recipes online. I did one the other day that substituted applesauce for the oil and it was very tasty!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I usually use olive oil and some balsamic vinegar, but some good blue cheese dressing is worth the calories to me and something I'll also use regularly. Zero carbs and full of flavor.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If I'm short on calories for the day, I just use balsamic vinegar. A little goes a long way, too!

Otherwise, I mix together a vinegar, olive oil, and mustard. I eat many processed foods and think they're fine, but homemade salad dressing is so freaking easy that I haven't bought the regular kind in years.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do the easy 3-2-1 dressing:

3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoons mustard
    1 teaspoon maple syrup

Tastes great, no oil and low in calories :)
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with balsamic vinegar and olive oil! Or lemon juice and olive oil :)
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My favourite salad dressing is homemade and super simple. Whatever your amount is, the ratio is this:

1/4 extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 honey
    1/2 balsamic vinegar
    a splash of soy sauce

(For example, if I am dressing my own personal salad, I would make it with 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, and a touch of soy sauce.)

It is really wonderful tasting! I tend to lick the plate clean afterward, lol. Also, you know exactly what is going into it so that's nice.

Depending on which brands of ingredients you use, one serving (2 tbsps) runs you about 100-150 calories.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I also do the Hidden Valley ranch packets with 1 cup skim milk, half cup canola mayo , and half cup non-fat Greek yogurt. Again, delicious. About 40 calories.
  • courtney_leigh09
    courtney_leigh09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I use tzatziki sauce as a substitute for mayonnaise (I actually like it better) in wraps and pitas and it makes a pretty good creamier dressing for a green salad, too. The brand I buy is 50 calories for 2 Tbsp., but it's pretty easy to make with some Greek yogurt and a few other ingredients.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I loke the greek yogurt based dressing that are normally found in the salad area of my grocery store. Less calories and less chemicals.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've reached a point where I've decided that if the universe intended humans to eat salad it would have made a dressing that tastes good and doesn't take up 40% of my daily calories.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    - Good Seasons made with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    - straight balsamic glaze (my current favorite). you don't need much and it's 25 cals/tablespoon
  • leaner426
    Options
    I like raspberry vinagrette. I also tend to use less than the recommended amounts. Another trick is to build your salad with enough flavor that you don't need dressing. I make a spicy chicken that I mix with raw spinach, feta, red onion and cucumber. The cucumber and feta smooth out the spice in the chicken and the onion and I don't miss salad dressing at all. A third option, if you like it is to use salsa.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar & olive oil, or non fat Greek yogurt mixed with a packet of hidden valley buttermilk ranch. 8 oz of Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup %1 milk, mix it all together and let it sit for a bit. It is so good. Even the picky kids and hubby loves it!
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I use olive oil and balsamic vinegar (I actually found a bar in town that gives that do you, not balsamic vinaigrette, just the olive oil and vinegar)

When I get too lazy to make some I found a gluten free organic one at the grocery store that had no added sugar and just a bit of xanthum gum. I wasn't looking for gluten free or organic, just one with no sugar and ingredients I could understand.
  • kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like Bella's organic super fruit dressing
  • Bettyanne77
    Options
    I make my own salad dressing with 1 part balsamic vinegar to 2 parts extra virgin olive (half tbsp vinegar to 1 tbsp oil) oil then I add a little garlic, a little salt and pepper and mix. This would cover a large salad for 2 people if well tossed.

I am not inclined to worry too much about the fat in olive oil in this case as it is good fat and also we need to eat some fat with leafy greens to extract the fat soluble vitamins from them.
  • canov1234
    Options
    I never eat bottled dressing. It is so simple to make your own balsamic vinegarette. Combine 1 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar, shredded ginger, toasted sesame seeds, sea salt, pepper, oregano, basil, parsley and one garlic clove. Shake well. Easy and delicious. All healthy ingredients and you don't have to worry about all of the chemicals in bottled dressings. Enjoy!