I've run out of calories and I haven't even had dinner?

Options

Replies

• in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Go run again and eat a small low fat or fat free snack. If you still feel hungry after the snack take a sleeping pill so you won't eat again til morning. P.S. Throw away the brownies.

What if I don't have sleeping pills at my disposal to take when I'm hungry?? Would chugging a bottle of NyQuil suffice?

In all seriousness, eat dinner. Don't eat brownies tomorrow, or, if you decide you NEED them or something (which you don't!) plan it in your day so you're not over before dinner. If you're hungry after your dinner, don't take a sleeping pill...drink a glass of water. A lot of the time when your stomach is grumbling with what you perceive as hunger, it's actually thirst. Drink the H2O, if you're still hungry eat some veggies or something.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Go run again and eat a small low fat or fat free snack. If you still feel hungry after the snack take a sleeping pill so you won't eat again til morning. P.S. Throw away the brownies.
    :noway: Horrible advice.
    @JesterMFP The brownie part or running again?
    [/quote]

Probably the part where you advise using drugs as an appetite suppressant like some pro ana blogger
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I ate a few too many brownies and now I'm in the negatives. It's only 3 pm. Should I skip dinner/not eat for the rest of the day?

Yes.

Why on earth would you say yes?

That is horrendous advice.

If you are hungry, eat. If you are not, don't.
  • the_only_solution
    the_only_solution Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One day is just one day. For me personally I don't think an extra workout would hurt, nor would skipping dinner, but you'll have to make that decision for yourself. I would probably have a light dinner and walk the block.
    But I would add this to the other replies:
    Address why you had "a few too many" brownies. Is it because you didn't realize the calories you were consuming until you logged them? were you too polite to turn them down? were you eating to address an emotional issue? were you starving and there was absolutely no other option? When you have the answer to this you can choose a better solution for next time.

Good Luck!! :)
  • mommamills
    Options
    no!!! skipping meals doesn't make a slip void. Just eat a balanced healthy dinner and forget about it. As long as you don't make it a habit you will be just fine.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Eat a sensible supper (probably without any more brownies :laugh: ), and move on. A few extra calories every once in a while isn't going to make or break your success. This is a process and some days we'll do better than other days. Just make sure it's not an every day type of deal and you'll be fine :smile:
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to eat at maintenance, assuming you're at a deficit right now. You won't undo your progress from previous days, so it'll just be one day that won't affect your goals.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I must say I am TOTALLY dismayed by the number of people advising OP to work out again. :noway:

That is a recipe for developing an eating disorder.

OP, you over ate one day. ONE. Out of many many days either past or to come. Just log your brownies, your dinner, and move on. I ate almost 1,000 calories in freshly baked chocolate chip cookies yesterday. No regrets, they were FABULOUS. And I logged every last one. And today is a new day. Isn't it awesome how that happens?

eh, I don't seethe issue with telling someone to go walk an extra mile or lift for an extra 45 minutes ....

we usually agree, but me thinks you are being a bit extreme on this on :)

I think it's better to err on the side of caution when it comes to these 'could be a problem' type of situations. Because EDs have the highest rate of mortality rate of any mental illness. JMHO.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options

This is absolutely terrible advice. Eat if you're hungry, OP, but don't turn to sleeping aids to keep yourself from eating. That's not a cycle you want to get into.
    Eat dinner, work out again if you want to, and wipe the slate clean. Don't beat yourself up over it, tomorrow is a new day.

+1
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you have a exercise DVD e.g. Jillian Michaels throw it in and burn some calories so you can eat dinner. Don't skip dinner have a salad with some protein in it. Won't be too bad.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I must say I am TOTALLY dismayed by the number of people advising OP to work out again. :noway:

That is a recipe for developing an eating disorder.

OP, you over ate one day. ONE. Out of many many days either past or to come. Just log your brownies, your dinner, and move on. I ate almost 1,000 calories in freshly baked chocolate chip cookies yesterday. No regrets, they were FABULOUS. And I logged every last one. And today is a new day. Isn't it awesome how that happens?

^^ Agree
  • moocowsmom
    Options
    Help needed im struggling to eat my daily allowence ie tht goin to b a problem in loosin weight or can i store them up and have a blowout end of the week
  • KPMP1992
    Options
    I overdid it a bit today. I am on the treadmill now to bank some more calories, lol
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Help needed im struggling to eat my daily allowence ie tht goin to b a problem in loosin weight or can i store them up and have a blowout end of the week

Yes you can do that.
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    I know this thread is old now but Jesus Christ one day of going over isn't going to hurt!
  • alix_a
    alix_a Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ha! Been there and done that!

I find that if you plan your meals then you don't come to dinner with no calories available.

I try to plan out my meal and snacks for the day each week. I used to mock people who did this, but I appreciate it now. I'm trying to be mindful of what I eat. I'm trying to change my lifestyle to where I'm not starving and quickly eating whatever I can find. I want a better lifestyle, not just a better diet.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options

That is some of the worse advice I have ever heard.

Especially the part about throwing away the brownies!
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat meal a week, and that's dinner after sauna on Friday. I eat whatever I want and however much I want. Since I eat a late dinner on Friday (10pm) there's not much time for me before bed to "be bad".

So far it's working for me, and I'm losing 2 lbs a week. I know this doesn't work for everyone and if my weight loss stalls, I'll revisit this choice. But for me it helps me stay on track the rest of the week knowing I can have what I like. So far, aside from the grilled sausages and roasted potatoes for dinner I have eaten: cinnamon roasted almonds, full fat cheese, beer.

But I'm finding that my stomach doesn't have enoug room to eat all the things I think about eating all week and so far, I don't miss them.

I say, if a cheat day/meal works for you and you're losing weight, go for it!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Learn from your experience - what would you do next time?

It's one day, do better tomorrow.

ETA: just seen your height and weight. Seriously, this is not a big deal.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    No dinner for you then.