Ideal weight for 5'6 female?

Options
My weight was always around 135 until I hit 40. What is a good weight for this height? I am 147 but family and friends say I look fine. ???

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    147 falls in the healthy range. Search for a weight chart and it will give the range...I believe it is...115-155...depends on a lot of things.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I believe 147 is well within the normal range for your height. As for your ideal weight, it's whatever weight you feel most comfortable.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    BTW...I am also 5'6"...my goal weight is 145. Many years ago I weighed 135 and everyone told me that I was too thin. I have a medium to large frame.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am between 5'5"-5'6" in my late 20s. I prefer the 130 range, and definitely no higher than 135 or I start to look chunky. I also am bottom heavy, so it's pretty obvious if I get over 135.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in the healthy bmi range, it's a preference thing. I'm 5ft, 6in and started at 175lbs, had a goal weight of 135lbs, and after I hit that I realized I wasn't where I wanted to be. Fast forward and I'm now in maintenance with a maintenance window of 117.5lbs-120lbs/low end of a healthy bmi. I like where I'm at now, but what's good for me, may not be good for someone else :)
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", and aiming for 145. I know that's a good weight for me to try for because it's the weight I was in the best shape of my life so far. However, it wasn't the absolute best shape I could be in. Once I get there I'll start paring down body fat specifically and the scale reading won't matter as much. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up a tad higher than that due to muscle mass. Or I might end up at 135. You never know, every body is different.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My weight was always around 135 until I hit 40. What is a good weight for this height? I am 147 but family and friends say I look fine. ???

For you, probably around 135.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight depends on your own body. For me I had trouble envisioning myself at 145, and now that I'm here, I can see myself skinnier. I know I was 125 in high school but I don't think I can get back to that weight. Ultimately, I'd prefer to be strong, muscular and weigh more than skinny fat and 125 lbs. First, I'm working on getting my body fat down though and then thinking about weight/muscle training.
  • ThinEdielynne
    Options
    I think frame has a lot to do with it. I'm just under 5'6", and I feel chubby at 120. In the past I've been really happy at 105-110, then went up to 125. My goal right now is 100, to fit my wedding dress.
  • MeeshAshley
    MeeshAshley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and I have been 117-150, I felt good at about 130 though. It really depends on you and how you are comfortable in your skin.
    When I was 117 everyone told me I looked unhealthy.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is healthy... If you're concerned about your weight for health reasons, waist-to-height and waist-to-hip ratio can give you some insight based on your body shape.

I'm also 5'6" and currently 152 and my goal weight is 145, although I'm taking a bit of a break to maintain or lose a bit more slowly. I was 125 at one point, but it truly wasn't sustainable for me.