Has anyone made friends at the gym?

Options

Replies

• ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    After going to the same gym for 5 years, you get to know a lot of the regulars. It's cool...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this is totally possible, however some people may want to be left alone...like me. I am a cranky, anti-social seventy year old lady at heart. I put my headphones on and pretend everyone else isn't there in the nicest way possible, even when I swim lanes. I like to focus when I workout, plus I suppose I'm a bit insecure and don't want to risk getting criticized by someone. Which probably would only ever happen in my head. But whatever.

But I'm sure you will meet other lovely, social butterflies at the gym! Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Me too! Which is the main reason I lift at home now.

OP just be aware of body language, be considerate and you'll be fine.
  • TpocketT60
    TpocketT60 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There are other people at the gym?!

I only notice others when all the squat racks are taken. :grumble:

This! But I'm sure its very possible to make friends at the gym. Just try to get a read on people you attempt to befriend, because some people like to get to the gym, get their workout in, and leave, with little time for socializing. I'm always willing to chat between sets, of course :D
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I had to get references for a job and realized most of my friends were at the gym. It is easy because you have so much in common with them there.
  • imabusymom04
    imabusymom04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I look forward to going to the gym...I used to just walk on the treadmill, but I was able to see into the group fitness rooms while walking and they looked like they were having so much fun. So I joined them! I work WAY harder in the group classes than I ever would on my own. I quit the gym for 6 months (when my youngest went to school), but I missed it and joined back. So many people remembered me and asked where I had been, made me feel good to be missed! :) There was one class I did a few yrs ago where we would go out to lunch after occasionally, fun times! I had to quit that class though when my son went to half day prek...I always had to be home for his bus to arrive. Now I do the early weight class. Anyway, I agree with the above posts, if you are looking to meet people, group classes are the way to go.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope I am not there to make friends.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I say hey to all the regulars I see in the Nike Training Club class I take once a week. The other days I'm in the gym lifting it's in the morning so I'm focused on getting my workout in then showering and heading to work.

My run club is a different story. I've made great friends because we spend so much time training for marathons. We run the same races and a lot of us plan to do international races together. Later this year a big group will run the Reggae Marathon in Jamaica and I'll be running the Paris Marathon with a couple people too.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes. My gym is a Crossfit type small gym with WODs and we are all very supportive and encouraging of one another. Lots of friendship all around but total focus on getting the work done.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Most of us are there to work, we really don't notice other people, but there are some guys that I have a "what's up bro? Nice set" relationship with. I wouldn't consider them friends, but they're good guys. Not saying you couldn't make friends, I'm just there to work, not socialize, so maybe it's just me.

Rigger

Good answer.

A lot of people tend to go at the same time so you tend to get pretty familiar with people. I'm on a first name basis with a number of people now. But I'm not big on making friends so I haven't tried to take our gym relationships to the next level.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I know one of the trainers at my gym. But we've been friends for years. I recognize regulars who are there the same time I go to work out, but I am not friends with them. I go there, do my workout and come home. I have music on when I'm exercising. I don't really want people to chit chat with me. Guess I'm there on a mission...
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Please don't talk to me unless im stretching or my headphones are out.

I dont even like talking to people walking in.
  • reggie7727
    reggie7727 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Every friend I have I meet at the gym. Wierd, but true.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Just the one older guy who asked if he could spot me. I thought it was a little odd at first, as we were both in the sauna, but hey, you only go around once, amirite?
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I became a member at my local YMCA, about 2 years into my lifestyle change, and enjoyed all the people, and teachers, that I encountered in the classes, that 6 months after I became a member I applied for a PT evening position there! I was hired the same day and am a PM shift manager of the service desk. I have met, talked to, gotten great advice from, and gotten to know so many new people that I enjoy every minute I am there weather working out or working.
  • _G4BR13L_
    _G4BR13L_ Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    No one talks to me at my gym. :angry:

tumblr_m193u32VQA1qasthro1_500.jpg
  • Kirstina88
    Kirstina88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I made friends at my previous gym, and I've started to make them again now at my new gym.

It doesn't seem to happen though unless your in group classes which is because you tend to stand in the room chatting waiting for the class to start.

I really enjoy boxfit/boxercise/fight klub classes and they generally involve partnering with someone else which is another good way to get chatting to someone and really helps push me further.

The people I meet at the gym are definitely the reason I go sometimes...... 'but I told so and so I'd be there tonight...'
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have made friends in classes, but when I am doing weights then I am usually too busy dying to make friends or glaring at whoever is on the squat rack.
  • _G4BR13L_
    _G4BR13L_ Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just the one older guy who asked if he could spot me. I thought it was a little odd at first, as we were both in the sauna, but hey, you only go around once, amirite?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUNNNNNNNNNNNNN
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    No one talks to me at my gym. :angry:

tumblr_m193u32VQA1qasthro1_500.jpg

Do you growl at people when they try to talk to you? That'd do it!
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I Talk to the trainers sometimes. There are a couple of others i say "alright mate" too...lol. But no one i could class as a true friend