Meal Replacement Shake

Options
Questions for those of you who drink Meal Replacement Shakes, how many meals a day do you replace with a shake? 1 or 2 and what meals do you replace?? I have been doing 2 a day, one for breakfast a healthy lunch and then another shake for supper! I have noticed though that I am really hungry in the evenings so have been thinking of having a healthy breakfast, have a Shake for lunch and a healthy supper! Needing some advice!

Replies

• littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I only do a shake once a day. Usually for lunch. Just make sure the shakes you are drinking have enough nutrients and calories to be a replacement. Could be why you are hungry. Good luck!
  • jumper3407
    jumper3407 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I normally do a shake for breakfast as they're the easiest to grab when running out the door. I would highly recommend implementing snacks in between. Healthy ones, obviously. Some fruit, veggies, or nuts. Then you shouldn't be so hungry at the end. If you're eating a lunch between 400-600 cals, having 2 shakes (roughly 180 each) you can have some decent snacks to hit 1200 and not be so hungry.
  • nathaliasmommy91
    Options
    sometimes the when your body is thirsty it will give you the same feeling as hunger. so when you start feeling hungry when you shouldn't be try drinking a large glass of room temperature water and waiting a little to see if the feeling subsides.....if not your probably hungry...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I only do one per day. You want something sustainable for the long term and it's not really a good long term plan to drink 2 shakes per day. Also, like somebody else mentioned, you want to make sure it's a quality shake with lots of nutrients, not just some protein shake. I see people all the time try to meal replace with some protein and some fruit and they wonder why they are hungry an hour later or dealing with cravings later in the day. That "meal" didn't FUEL their body and when you're not properly nourished, you develop cravings.
  • esmeylull
    Options
    I have shakes as snacks, usually with some dairy, fruits ,a lot of veggies and nuts.

Shakes 3 times a day isn't a good idea, won't keep you full and its hard to put enough of everything in a drink. Either have large nutritient glass of a smoothie as breakfast or simply a snack.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would ditch the meal replacement shakes. If you want to maintain your weight loss, you need to develop eating habits that are healthy and sustainable. Meal replacement shakes have a very low success rate because eventually you're going to go back to eating foods, without having developed the proper habits, and you'll gain the weight back again.

Just replace your meals with lower calorie balanced meals.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yup. Skip the shake. You're not hoig to replace meals with shakes forever. Now is the time to learn portion and calorie control.

You don't want to try to learn that later, when you give up the shakes. Do it now.
  • Vic_of_Steel
    Vic_of_Steel Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I do Shakeology and have one shake a day but I always add some frozen fruit to mine. I like to take it for breakfast or sometimes I'll eat breakfast and have one for lunch. I don't think they would hold me over well if I had two a day. I would do as some suggest and add some snacks in between meals.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Also: habits are what stick. Habits are the reason people gain weight back when they're done with their diet. They lost weight with these new methods, but the diet isn't long term. When the diet ends, they go back to their habits.

The most important part of this process is generating new, sustainable habits. Meal replacement shakes are not part of that.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do shates also but not on an every day basis . when i used to do them once a day or twice a day frequently i was always hungry. i probably drink them as a meal replacement a couple times a week and pair it up with fruit or string cheese so i fill up.
  • Vic_of_Steel
    Vic_of_Steel Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Also: habits are what stick. Habits are the reason people gain weight back when they're done with their diet. They lost weight with these new methods, but the diet isn't long term. When the diet ends, they go back to their habits.

The most important part of this process is generating new, sustainable habits. Meal replacement shakes are not part of that.

I agree with you on some of this. At the same time I don't drink my shake so I have enough calories left over to eat fast food or junk. I drink my shake and than have 2-3 decent meals a day.
  • kmorris123
    kmorris123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do AdovCare Meal Replacement Shakes. They are 220 cals, 4 fat and a balanced 22 carb/22 protein. While learning good healthy eating habits is important, I don't see myself stopping these shakes. They are a quick, balanced breakfast on the go. I typically only do them for breakfast though.
  • again7820
    again7820 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,
    I drink Shakeology daily. I replace ONE meal a day and it's normally breakfast because it's easy and I am on the go. It truly fills me until lunch time. I am drinking half my body weight in OZ in water each day and I eat 2 sensible meals with healthy snacks like trail mix or fruit in between. I FULLY intend on drinking these for the rest of my life as I have NEVER felt this good. Even though I am on a journey to health, I will continue drinking these as my primary source of AMAZINGLY good stuff!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a whey based protein shake with skim milk as a snack, to make sure I'm getting plenty of protein, on days when I'm pretty far away from my calorie goals. It helps me feel sated. I don't use them as a meal replacement though. My tummy needs FOOD. lol Shakes don't make me feel full, so they wouldn't work for me as a meal replacement.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have them in case I ever need them in a pinch, but I have yet to use one, same for the weeks worth of meals I brought (they keep for 6 months). To me, things like that are good to have around in case I need them, but it is better for me to learn to measure and weigh the right portions, and although what I am eating right now is not the same calorie level I will be eating in maintenance, it is getting me in good habits, and I will learn the "after" portions in my year of maintenance. I think it is better to look at it as a lifestyle change, not just losing weight, more like transforming your eating habits.
  • ALISONF28269
    ALISONF28269 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Premium protein shakes, 30 g protein. Usually at breakfast.:smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    stop using shakes as a meal replacement. Eat real food, and eat in a calorie deficit.

Eventually you are going to burn out on this and it will more than likely lead to some kind of binge/over consumption…

Ask yourself this, are you really going to use shakes as a meal replacement for the rest of your life? The answer is more than likely no.
    Eat in a defict; hit your macros; work out/move more and this will lead to long term changes that are sustainable and successful.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Good Evening,
    I drink Shakeology daily. I replace ONE meal a day and it's normally breakfast because it's easy and I am on the go. It truly fills me until lunch time. I am drinking half my body weight in OZ in water each day and I eat 2 sensible meals with healthy snacks like trail mix or fruit in between. I FULLY intend on drinking these for the rest of my life as I have NEVER felt this good. Even though I am on a journey to health, I will continue drinking these as my primary source of AMAZINGLY good stuff!

solid marketing post
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Good Evening,

With a name like "again," 0 lbs lost, and a closed diary... I humbly suggest you listen to the advice of others in this thread who have a history of keeping the weight off rather than giving advice yourself ;)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I do Shakeology and have one shake a day but I always add some frozen fruit to mine. I like to take it for breakfast or sometimes I'll eat breakfast and have one for lunch. I don't think they would hold me over well if I had two a day. I would do as some suggest and add some snacks in between meals.

you could save your money and get protein powder from GNC or Walmart…shakeology is way over priced….just some advice.