Need HELP...I have Hashimoto and weight loss impossible

Options
Hello,

I am 42 and a mother of a young child. I was always thin until I had my little angel. I gained 75 pounds and It took me three years to take of the weight off. A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and needed to start taking thyroid medication. All the weight that came off, came back. I have gained a total of 60 pound during that period. I have tried all sorts of diets, trainers and even food delivery but nothing has worked. I had an injury to my ankle back in July which they found I have plantar fasciitis on both feet which makes it even harder to exercise now. Because of the weight, now I am having issues more bothersome with my feet and back. I feel so helpless and discourage! I have seen three different endocrinologist and the last one wanted to start me on "QYSIMIA" (weight-loss) medication. I am kind of afraid to try that because I don't know if it will even work or cause any other health issues! I just need help and support to be able to remove this weight so I can be active for my child and be there for him and my hubby. I feel I am fighting a losing battle which it drives to eat things I am not suppose to.

I am pleading for anyone to help me by sharing any tips and even post any success stories from Hashimoto's to give me some hope. If anyone can share any suggestions, I would ever be so grateful!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I lost 20 lbs. in 2013 by eating at a deficit and logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. That's slower than most MFPers, but I lost it. You can, too.

Forgot to say, I have Hashi's. Take before pics (wish I had), and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible to lose weight with Hashimoto's. If your thyroid numbers are good, it's not affecting your metabolism anymore (or at least not significantly). I'm certainly not saying it's easy (it never is!) but it's doable. I have Hashimoto's and PCOS. I lose slower than most (though my metabolism is higher than average according to the lab), but I can lose. You can too!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Don't use Hashimotos as an excuse. I have it. The reason I lost weight is because I ate at a deficit. You can do it. No excuses.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's can cause extreme ups and downs in weight. I have it too.
    I think exercise is imperative.

Is swimming and strength training doable for you?
    Sending friend request.
  • patjustin1
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight by cutting bad carbs like white rice, tortillas, white bread, cookies, cakes (sugar), soda and only drinking water saves many calories!
    Basically a low carb diet and exercise 6 days a week.
    Eat a good breakfast and i don't mean biscuits!
    Portion control is very important. I love green tea and it gives me energy.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Maybe the doc needs to adjust your meds.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have it too! I promise! It really is possible. I know how frustrating it is to feel like you cannot lose weight. I was in "that place". It's not really an "excuse" as much as it is not knowing how. I was able to lose 75lbs and keep it off for more than two years.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I also have Hashimoto's, though I have not had large up and downs in weight. 5 lbs before the diagnosis is all. If your hormone levels are properly controlled, there shouldn't be any reason that it would increase your difficulty in losing weight.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Don't use Hashimotos as an excuse. I have it. The reason I lost weight is because I ate at a deficit. You can do it. No excuses.

This......I have hashimotos too plus I am in peri menopause which is further hindering weight loss but its not going to be an excuse for me, it will be harder no doubt but it can be done!
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the thyroid issue, but swimming is amazing if your legs or feet can't handle impact.
  • jgrandison
    jgrandison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Couple of questions.
    What type of medications are you taking? Sometimes switching to brand name works best.
    I have tried synthroid levotyhroid levoxyl etc. now I am taking amour, I went through some changes
    throughout the year and nothing seemed to be working, I finally switched to amour and have been doing
    much better and my numbers are almost normal.
    Also you have to make sure that you take it on an empty stomach I get up around 4 am for a bathroom break and
    pop it with plenty of water and go back to bed.
    My endo made me promise to not deprive myself because my body already thinks it is starving, which is why she is holding on to the weight so I try to eat the required amount for my fit pal. exercise is definitley important Since my injuire I am favoring my knees, however I am pushing through the pain as best as i can and try to get in at least 4 to 5 days of cardio and strength training.
    Go at your own pace, any form of exercise is better than none at all!!
    Walk in peace and best of luck to you,
    Jeania
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos. As long as your hormone levels are being maintained with medication, it shouldn't be effecting your ability to lose weight.

Derp. I already replied to this. :blushing:
  • SmarTam
    SmarTam Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have Hypothyroid and PCOS too. It is difficult but not impossible to lose weight. You can do it!!! If your hormone levels are fine while you are taking the medicine, you are OK and normal.

The worst thing you can do is to blame your hormones. I know its easier said than done, but stop comparing yourself to others. And think "Oh I wish I did not have this disease, the I would be fit like anything". People without hormone disorders are Overweight too. Just think of it as a long marathon, and not a sprint, where you just need more time and patience.

Take the first step, expect results to show very slowly. Even if you dont see immediate results on the scale, you are doing a lot of good to your brain and heart already!! Give your body the exercise and nutrition it dererves. Feel free to add me!!
  • werdinpfisterer
    Options
    I have Hashimotos too & struggled to lose weight until I got my meds straight & went gluten-free. Make sure you are taking a T3 medication! Synthroid is T4 only, & most people cannot convert that into the biologically usable T3 form your body needs. I take Synthroid (T4) & Cytomel (T3). Others use natural desiccated thyroid like Naturethroid or Armor, which has both T4 & T3. Good luck!
  • kristiellyn13
    Options
    Hashimotos too.... I started feeling better and losing weight once I switched to Armour Thyroid and changed my diet to gluten and soy free. Hang in there You really need to find the right medicine for you and get your thyroid numbers to a good level. check them all, TSH, free T3 and free t4 . Many docs only check TSH.