What are Good Foods in College?

Options
You know the Freshman 15? Well, for me it's the freshman 20, and I was a bit chubby to begin with. I want to drop 30 pounds (settling somewhere around 150 lbs), but I'm a broke college student surrounded by greasy, chocolatey goodness. Advice?

Replies

• summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I took advantage of the salad bar. We had a grill where they make hamburgers and you could always ask for grilled chicken so I did that when I needed protein. Scrambled eggs are good protein in the morning or choose a non-sugary cereal. I ate whole wheat bagels and light cream cheese which don't have much nutritional value but they aren't too bad in calories or fat. You can also get a sandwich and eat just the lunchmeat and cheese or open-faced so you have less carbs.

It's difficult to avoid the chicken strips, fries, and pizza but you will feel a lot better if you aren't eating that every day!
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Does your college have a meal plan or are you on your own for food?

If you have to buy your own, you can utilize the discount shelf at the store, in the breads and the veggies/fruits, some things are easy to freeze (onions, mushrooms, peppers) if you have access to a freezer (when I was in college my dorm was basically a mini house shared with 4 people). Eggs are relatively cheap. What kind of fridge/freezer space do you have? Do you have friends who would buy in bulk with you and share the cost/food?

Socialization -- You can buy low-calorie beer. At the bar (or a party) you can have something like vodka/water/shot of lime, it's like 30cal/vodka shot and I think that's the lowest calorie alcohol. Sh*tty eating -- have one piece of pizza instead of the whole thing. Drink lots of water.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Also, I feel your pain. I gained my Freshman 20 in the first semester of college haha. I was drinking 5-7 days a week and eating whatever....you know, like a typical freshman ;)
  • CMAlongi
    Options
    We've got a plan, a store with a variety of frozen/canned/junk food, and a fridge/freezer in my dorm with a bit of shelf space. The problem with cooking meals if often lack of time.

I do have an advantage over drinking, though. I avoid it like a plague because of family history, and I abhor the taste. I mean it's just...ach!

Thanks for the advice!
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I did so much walking in college I couldn't gain weight if I wanted to! But either way... it's good you're not into the drinking: when I was a freshman, an upperclassmen told me that a lot of people avoided the "freshman 15" by just staying away from the beer. *shrug* I didn't get into beer, so I guess it worked well enough for me.

Have plenty of apples and hard boiled eggs on hand, those are easy to reach for when short on time and more filling than the sugary stuff. I've found it helpful.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just eat fewer calories of the cheesy goodness than you need to maintain your weight. You don't need to eat special foods.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I took advantage of the salad bar and the omlette station. I would eat a few eggs but pack in the veggies. Omlettes with spinach, onion, tomato, peppers, but avoid the cheese. It would fill me up quite a bit. I would also pack fruit in my purse and eat it later.
    When I went off the meal plan I ate a lot of baked chicken, and pita/wraps/sandwiches on low cal bread. Again though, I would stuff those with more veggies than anything else.

I found the best thing for me was to always have a water bottle on hand, and to ALWAYS walk to class. I went to a fairly large school and found that walking to class took just as much time as riding the campus buses. I probably walked about 5 miles a day carrying my backpack!

My downfall was late night study stress snacking. A lot of my peers had problems with alcohol and soda.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as little as possible on campus (thank goodness my class schedule this semester does not allow me to take a break and eat), plus I don't live on campus, so I'm not tempted to go to one of the dining halls.
    however -
    I always took advantage of the salad bars, or the wrap place (falafel wrap was my favorite!) Also, at the Grill location, they not only had regular hamburgers,but veggie burgers, turkey burgers and chicken breasts you can sub out. We also have sushi, hummus & fresh fruit in the coolers (as well as bagels, pre-made sandwiches, ect.) Our campus lists all of the calorie information in all of our dining halls... so I would always check the nutritional info in advance.
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    At your age and only 30 pounds to lose you can turn it around pretty quick, especially not drinking. Cut your portions down and add some exercise and you should start seeing results. Good luck!
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is such a common plight for college students, that I actually wrote out all my tips in my blog (a 3 part post!). I'll leave the links here for you, so others don't have to scroll through tons of info:

Part 1: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SamanthaAnnM/view/surviving-dorm-life-part-1-the-cafeteria-333507
    Part 2: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SamanthaAnnM/view/surviving-dorm-life-part-2-dorm-snacking-338517
    Part 3: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SamanthaAnnM/view/surviving-dorm-life-part-3-alcohol-eating-out-and-exercise-344686

Hope this helps! :)
  • charbear94
    Options
    I know what you are going through! I just graduated from college, I gained the freshman 15, lost it, and then once I graduated gained some back lol. It was very easy for me to drop in college though. When I was in our café I mostly ate lowfat yogurt and granola (for breakfast and dessert sometimes), making my own grilled sandwiches at the sandwich station, salads with low fat dressing, veggie burgers, baked chicken. You can usually survive the foods as long as you stay away from anything fried, covered in fatty dressing, or loaded with cheese. However, you can indulge with it once in a while! I learned to have a small portion of French fries or a piece of pizza once a week so I wouldn't binge on it later. As others have said I also walked everywhere with my backpack, which weighed about 20 pounds, so that helped. I also went to fitness classes, which are usually free! See if there are any fitness classes you can join :) they are fun, help release stress, and are usually only an hour or less. :) hope this helps some!
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I gained my freshman 20 when I came home...I lost weight at school...but that is a whole 'nother rodeo.

If you have a kitchen, the sky is the limit, but I will put items that can be made with only a microwave or are ready to eat or available in your dining hall.

SALAD BAR - legit the best thing ever, just make sure you stick to veggies and lean proteins, and only add a moderate amount of one "extra" topping that is higher cal, such as chinese noodles, nuts, cheese, or dried fruit. Choose either a lowfat dressing or 2 tbsp. of regular dressing.

Burgers/Sandwiches: ask if you can have them in a lettuce wrap or without a bun and grab some lettuce from the salad bar to make it like a salad, but still enjoy the flavors of the sandwich.

Applesauce - unsweetened for a snack

Lara bars or That's It bars - try to find bars that don't have a bunch of chemicals and are made of whole foods

Air popped popcorn

Pretzels (just watch the serving size)

Individual packs of nuts

Apples and bananas and oranges

baby carrots, snap peas

brown rice cups

pop chips

peanut/nut butter - watch the serving size (it's addicting!!)

rice cakes

oatmeal packets

dry cereal - non-sugary cereal

individual cans of veggies

freeze-dried fruit packs

trail mix with fruits and nuts (minimize the chocolate) - watch the portions

Soup - watch the sodium content

Hope that helps!!!!
  • I actually lost some weight my first semester of college...a combination of walking everywhere, being a dance major, and my food choices. I'm not usually the one attacking the pizza or the desserts because I don't like how greasy and sluggish I feel after eating it, and I haven't gotten into drinking so I'm saving plenty of room for calories there too. You don't need to go on any crazy diet or workout regime to feel healthier- it's all about lifestyle choices that make you feel good! :) Walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator, opt for the chicken instead of the lasagna, but let yourself eat the food that looks amazing (even if unhealthy) every now and then, because you deserve it!

Here's what I tend to stick to:
    - Unprocessed foods. this is easier when it comes to doing my own grocery shopping, because I'm able to read the ingredients and see if it's really something I want putting in my body or not. Good, whole (preferably organic) foods are my vice!
    - Oatmeal, eggs, milk, and fruit in the morning! A great balance of carbs, protein, and fats (unless you prefer egg whites, which are an amazing source of protein in itself) to get your day going and provide you with natural energy. Oatmeal is great with pumpkin seeds and dried fruit added to it too.
    - Coffee! All day everyday. I add a little bit of unsweetened almond milk to it sometimes, but usually I just drink it black. Saves unnecessary calories, and you'll feel Norwegian!
    - WATER. Enough said
    - Lunches and dinner should have a great mix of green, leafy veggies (or if not available, a good variety of other kinds of veggies), a source of calcium, a healthy fat, carbs, and protein. Grilled chicken, fish, tofu, ham, turkey, lean beef, lean pork are best. Carbs can range from fruits, sweet potatoes, rice, whole grains. Again, it's all about avoiding the unprocessed stuff. Olive oil and vinegar are great sources of healthy fats. Same with nuts and seeds
    - Snacks? TRAIL MIX. That's my favorite snack. I really like raw mixed nuts with dried fruit thrown in. A good combination of fats, protein, and carbs. About a handful is all you need to feel it's magic! Other great snacks are cereal and milk, apples with almond or cashew butter, hummus and veggies, yogurt and organic granola, air popped popcorn...it goes on!

I hope this helps! Take it from another college freshman, it's totally possible to feel great at school despite horrendous food choices in the dining hall. No need to force or rush anything, it can happen and you can totally do this. You deserve it!