High Blood sugar, any nutrition boffins?

Options
I recently went to the drs for recurring joint pain.. she said she’d order a raft of tests to check for rheumatoid arthritis etc.. got a call last night to say my blood sugar was high & to go back for a fasting test.

I assume they want to rule out type 2 diabetes... makes me feel alarmed! I have been watching my diet very carefully & I remember now that on the day of the test I had literally nothing to eat from a banana at 10.30am till 4.30pm when i had my very late lunch.. white cheese salad roll. I then had the blood test an hr later, would the roll have caused the high sugar?

Have no understanding why my blood sugar was tested for joint pain but hey ho...

x

Replies

• nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: not a nutrition boffin :)

I think that having eaten carbs 1 hour before testing could well be the reason.

Did they say how high your glucose was? If not can you ask the for the reading?

They'll test for many things - it's fast and easy to do from a blood sample or 2
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If they take blood they usually make all sorts if tests while they got some, and as far as I know blood sugar is one they always do.

It could have been the roll, but that depends on a lot of different things that are quite unique to your body and how it reacts to certain foods, no way of knowing without tests.
    Beware the fasting test is disgusting!
  • chickenpie
    chickenpie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, i was kinda surprised & puzzled as usually low sugar is a problem for me where i often get what i call the 'sugar shakes' & need to calm them before i get sweaty, shaky etc.. time will tell i guess...
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yes the roll could of raised your sugar up. I am shocked they didn't tell you to fast the first round of blood tests if that is the type tests they were going to run.

If your just doing a fasting blood test. It is probably a normal (blood draw) glucose test. If they are doing a 3, 5, or 8 hr Blood glucose testing, that is where you drink some yucky orange or coke (very syrupy too sweet, makes ya feel sick stuff) and test every 15 to 30 minutes, up to hr tests.

I am sure it is just a standard glucose test though. There is also a test called A1C that you do not have to fast for and that averages out your blood sugars for 2 to 3 months. This gives a very good idea how your blood sugars are doing over all.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I thought he was referring to the timed blood glucose test... but you're probably right and it's a normal one, which I'd fine.

I had to do the timed one and it was with a blackcurrant slime (far to thick to deserve the name juice) haven't touched anything with blackcurrants in since...
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it until you have the results of the second test. It's quite common for people to register a "high" level on a test taken at some random time in the day, but have a perfectly normal fasting test first thing in the morning, or after a glucose challenge. Joint pain can have a wide range of causes, I'm sure your doctor is just taking a thorough survey of your general health before they start to make a diagnosis or referral.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    As others have said glucose is part of routine blood tests however I would be very surprised if eating a bread roll would cause a significant spike in blood sugar to cause enough concern for you to require a fasting blood glucose test. In normal homeostasis eating carbs would cause a rise in blood sugar but it would still remain within the normal ranges on testing. A disclaimer though in that I don't know what your result was, medical history or other biochemical markers on your test. You may just have an over cautious GP
  • chickenpie
    chickenpie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thanks all !! yes i guess it's good they're being thorough... they didn't mention anything about it being a lengthy test so hopefully it's just another blood draw.

appreciate all your comments, such helpful folks

x