Diet Review

Options
13»

Replies

• taylorjmacarthur
    Options
    80% of you are VERY incorrect. I diet people for a living. I practise what i preach.

Foods DO matter. You can adopt the IIFYM mindset and implement it in MODERATION. But if you eat "whatever" you want… you will NOT hit your micro's and likely you fibre.

You could eat 1200 calories of whatever & be hungry all day. OR eat 900 calories of "clean" foods and 300 of "whatever" and feel full.

Eating 3-6 meals a day DOES improve your metabolism during waking hours. The benefit is minimal, but it's there. It's also good for active people… to ensure a constant supply of energy is spread. IE DO NOT EAT ALL YOUR CARBS at night. Post workout and the rest spread evenly (more towards your more active times) would be beneficial to your wellbeing.

in terms of your diet, I think your likely underdoing your carbs … aslong as your calories are controlled .. try to diet on as many carbs as possible while loosing weight. I have female clients loosing weight on 130-200 carbs daily to loose and even more to maintain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options
    OP:

Shoot for a 30c/40p/30f ratio for your total calories.
    Make sure that you support your exercise calories by eating at least half of them so that calorie deficit isn't too high.
    Eat when you feel like it, but just making sure that you don't exceed your calorie limit.
    Ensure you get enough sleep since this is when the most body fat is burned.
    Stick to whole foods on 80% of your intake and reach your macros needed then use the other 20% to eat what you like as long as you don't exceed calories limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    80% of you are VERY incorrect. I diet people for a living. I practise what i preach.

Foods DO matter. You can adopt the IIFYM mindset and implement it in MODERATION. But if you eat "whatever" you want… you will NOT hit your micro's and likely you fibre.

You could eat 1200 calories of whatever & be hungry all day. OR eat 900 calories of "clean" foods and 300 of "whatever" and feel full.

Eating 3-6 meals a day DOES improve your metabolism during waking hours. The benefit is minimal, but it's there. It's also good for active people… to ensure a constant supply of energy is spread. IE DO NOT EAT ALL YOUR CARBS at night. Post workout and the rest spread evenly (more towards your more active times) would be beneficial to your wellbeing.

in terms of your diet, I think your likely underdoing your carbs … aslong as your calories are controlled .. try to diet on as many carbs as possible while loosing weight. I have female clients loosing weight on 130-200 carbs daily to loose and even more to maintain.

80% of this is highly incorrect in generalized. In fact, did you even read the thread? Because it's already been establish the meal frequency does NOT matter.. You also have to consider while we will discuss the extremes (you can eat 1200 calories of bacon vs veggies and still get the results) but NO ONE actually eats that. So it's a rather moot point.The fact is, we all eat a variety of foods as we all know we need a variety for the well being. Third, I would love to see the science on your thoughts are carbs. I will note that I do know women eating 800 calories in carbs, but they are also eating around 1800+ calories during weight loss. Essentially, you should be aiming for 1g of protein and .35g of fats and the remainder of carbs. But overall, carbs are for energy. If what you suggest was true, then people on Keto diets or women who have PCOS (insulin resistaces) wouldn't be losing weight. So in the end, it's more about calories than macro's. Macro's are for satiety, muscle retention and to fit a personal lifestyle.
  • taylorjmacarthur
    Options
    speaking of generalization …. throwing out protein and fat requirements like you did appears to be what i would consider "generalized" ???

I feel like IIFYM and Calorie counters are becoming like scientology. You take research for face value … and swear by what it says in black and white.

While i understand the movement from 6 meals to the now common "whatever" meal frequency…. the bottom line is … their are benefits to higher meal frequency that science simply has not uncovered yet. We've spent MUCH time and resources on determining why smaller # of meals is just as good… and not looked further into why we believed 6 + was good in the first place.

To sum, we get new science and JUMP on it. Which is what YOUR doing.

Bodybuilders, Bikkini Models, and anyone who makes money off being in shape …. for the most part eats a higher amount of meals a day. How do i know ? I'm in the industry and i can speak and "generalize" for my peers.

For simple bro science for you, it makes more sense to spread daily protein over multiple meals and keep a constant stream of amino's. I've done IF many times, and i can personally say i make more strides towards anabolism when eating multiple meals.

Why is this important you ask? Because the more muscle i acquire, the higher my energy demand is … the higher i can keep my metabolic rate…. aka dieting down ON MORE calories.

Which leads me you doubting me on carbs. If you've maximized your metabolism like in my example ^^^ then it allows you (women especially) to eat more said CHO. This is why i have female clients who can handle 150 - 250 grams of carbs per day.

Staying away from carbs and dieting on low calories is metabolically damaging when done for too long like 85% of the people on this site.

To SUM it all.

Multiple meals is OPTIMAL for body composition goals. Key word "OPTIMAL".

Dieting on as many carbs as possible is metabolically friendly. Restricting is ok if done for short periods of time, but in the long run … optimizing metabolic rate via CHO consumption will lead to better results.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    speaking of generalization …. throwing out protein and fat requirements like you did appears to be what i would consider "generalized" ???

I feel like IIFYM and Calorie counters are becoming like scientology. You take research for face value … and swear by what it says in black and white.

While i understand the movement from 6 meals to the now common "whatever" meal frequency…. the bottom line is … their are benefits to higher meal frequency that science simply has not uncovered yet. We've spent MUCH time and resources on determining why smaller # of meals is just as good… and not looked further into why we believed 6 + was good in the first place.

Bodybuilders, Bikkini Models, and anyone who makes money off being in shape …. for the most part eats a higher amount of meals a day. How do i know ? I'm in the industry and i can speak and "generalize" for my peers.

For simple bro science for you, it makes more sense to spread daily protein over multiple meals and keep a constant stream of amino's. I've done IF many times, and i can personally say i make more strides towards anabolism when eating multiple meals.

Why is this important you ask? Because the more muscle i acquire, the higher my energy demand is … the higher i can keep my metabolic rate…. aka dieting down ON MORE calories.

Which leads me you doubting me on carbs. If you've maximized your metabolism like in my example ^^^ then it allows you (women especially) to eat more said CHO. This is why i have female clients who can handle 150 - 250 grams of carbs per day.

Staying away from carbs and dieting on low calories is metabolically damaging when done for too long like 85% of the people on this site.

To SUM it all.

Dieting on as many carbs as possible is metabolically friendly. Restricting is ok if done for short periods of time, but in the long run … optimizing metabolic rate via CHO consumption will lead to better results.

In fact, I do base my recommendations on science.. I do research from multiple sources and provide recommedations based on the latest science. I do this because science evolves. If you don't evolve with it, you will be left behind. Heck, would you want your doctor to base their career on study taught when they were in school or would you want the latest information?

So yes, for my protein recommendation (link 1), I use threads like below to adapt a plan based on their goals. And yes, I understand the science can change, but so do my recommendation as I learn more. Another good example is nutrition timing. Are you supposed to consume protein before or after or both? Well, it's not that simple. There may be indications that overall consumption is more important than when (link 2). Based on your definition, that means I am a science jumper, which is fine. Knowing I am making recommendations for a specific reason gives me reassurance. If you rather use anecdotal evidence based on your gyms experience and your work in the field great. I hope it works out for you and it seems like it has.

I will note, that your approach (increase carbs) is not an ideal plan for everyone, there are those (such as my wife) who benefit more when they minimize carbs. There are actually many reasons to go low carb: PCOS with insulin resistance, lack of diet adherence (those who tend to splurge more when loading their diet in carbs), and other medical conditions. In fact, if you look at some of the groups, you will see groups with over 7000 members... many of which have been very successful long term (link 3).

I am not sure why you brought up low calories, because I never would suggest someone going on a low calorie diet unless they are morbidly obese and under supervision and not for long stretches of time. Additionally, I also understand the requirements of muscle, so I don't even understand why you brought that up either. I am pretty sure 90% of the members on this board know that muscle has a large caloric requirement, which enables you to eat more calories.

And lastly, to discuss body builders, etc... many of these members have very large calorie requirements. In many cases, they have to eat more meals to give them the opportunity to get enough calories. I had a friend training and required 5000-6000 calories a day; he had to eat 10x a day just to maintain that range. I can't imagine a person with that kind of caloric requirement eat 2 meals a day. That is why IF, especially while bulking, is not beneficial.

BTW, I follow IIFYM and I eat multiple times a day (6-8x to be exact). It's not that I don't agree with you on all your points,, its that you are making a lot of generalizations; especially starting your sentence off with "80% of the people on this thread don't know what they are talking about". At least provide some science to back those claims because when there is disputes or discussions, your word isn't worth much.

In the end, success is dependent on one major item... diet adherence.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options

To SUM it all.

In fact, I do base my recommendations on science.. I do research from multiple sources and provide recommedations based on the latest science. I do this because science evolves. If you don't evolve with it, you will be left behind. Heck, would you want your doctor to base their career on study taught when they were in school or would you want the latest information?

So yes, for my protein recommendation (link 1), I use threads like below to adapt a plan based on their goals. And yes, I understand the science can change, but so do my recommendation as I learn more. Another good example is nutrition timing. Are you supposed to consume protein before or after or both? Well, it's not that simple. There may be indications that overall consumption is more important than when (link 2). Based on your definition, that means I am a science jumper, which is fine. Knowing I am making recommendations for a specific reason gives me reassurance. If you rather use anecdotal evidence based on your gyms experience and your work in the field great. I hope it works out for you and it seems like it has.

I will note, that your approach (increase carbs) is not an ideal plan for everyone, there are those (such as my wife) who benefit more when they minimize carbs. There are actually many reasons to go low carb: PCOS with insulin resistance, lack of diet adherence (those who tend to splurge more when loading their diet in carbs), and other medical conditions. In fact, if you look at some of the groups, you will see groups with over 7000 members... many of which have been very successful long term (link 3).

I am not sure why you brought up low calories, because I never would suggest someone going on a low calorie diet unless they are morbidly obese and under supervision and not for long stretches of time. Additionally, I also understand the requirements of muscle, so I don't even understand why you brought that up either. I am pretty sure 90% of the members on this board know that muscle has a large caloric requirement, which enables you to eat more calories.

And lastly, to discuss body builders, etc... many of these members have very large calorie requirements. In many cases, they have to eat more meals to give them the opportunity to get enough calories. I had a friend training and required 5000-6000 calories a day; he had to eat 10x a day just to maintain that range. I can't imagine a person with that kind of caloric requirement eat 2 meals a day. That is why IF, especially while bulking, is not beneficial.

BTW, I follow IIFYM and I eat multiple times a day (6-8x to be exact). It's not that I don't agree with you on all your points,, its that you are making a lot of generalizations; especially starting your sentence off with "80% of the people on this thread don't know what they are talking about". At least provide some science to back those claims because when there is disputes or discussions, your word isn't worth much.

In the end, success is dependent on one major item... diet adherence.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

drops the mic and walks off lol:smile::laugh:
  • Paindoesnthurt
    Paindoesnthurt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    psulemon, well said. I too base what I know off studies and those that have good methods of testing, that are human controlled studies and not done on animals like rats.

That being said I would just like to add a few things on carbohydrates. First of all eating carbohydrates at night is NOT fattening. It can actually be beneficial to have the majority of your carbohydrates at night here's the reference:

Sofer S, et al. Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity, 2011 Apr 7.

Also carbohydrates in the form of starches which are mainly polysaccharide which I am sure as a nutrionist you would know means to have many chains of sugar, which means that it is great for gaining weight but should naturally be limited when trying to lose it. Not completely but it would be adviseable. Carbohydrates are definitely something to have in the diet so don't take me wrong I'm not saying go on a zero carbohydrate diet long term.

Here's my final opinion. Don't go to extremes unless you have extreme life (like needing to eat many meals because you are an elite athlete and just eating 3 meals isn't going to cut it because your stomach can't fit in all the calories you burn), eat a good solid 3 meals that has everything you need, your fruits vegetables and proteins, have a variety and you'll be set. Simple. Most of all don't stress. Stress is a big thing to deal with in terms of body composition and diet.