Should I exercise when I'm sick?

Options
I feel the need to exercise but I fell really sick yesterday and nearly had a fever but my throat hurts and my lungs feel weird and it feels inflamed I think. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow but in the meantime should I exercise or should I take a break? I've been burning over 3000 kcal per week on exercise for weeks and I'm a little afraid that I'll gain weight when I stop exercising. What do you guys recommend? And how long should I take a break for If necessary?

Replies

• Smashley1947
    Options
    Listen to your body, if its telling you to take it slow, take it slow.

If its telling you to rest, then rest.

A few days of not exercising will be fine, your body will need to recover, when you start up again, don't rush into it. You aren't going to gain a lot of weight if any in 1 -2 weeks.

Also for public consideration, don't go out where you can infect people.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The general rule is if the symptoms are above the neck you can keep going (if you feel up to it) and if they're below the neck you should take time off.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I would get to the gym and just do a light workout. I'd also increase my calorie intake to run a smaller deficit or just eat maintenance. You won't gain weight but you will make it easier for your body to fight the infection.
  • sklpersonaltrainer
    Options
    Typically when I'm sick, I'll do light cardio, just to keep the blood flowing. You don't want to do anything too taxing because you risk spreading your immune system thinner than it already is and overworking your body through recovery.

If it's a head cold, don't be too worried, but if it's the flu or something more serious take the day off and get some rest.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Do something light for 10-15 minutes. If it helps and you start to feel a bit better, keep going. If you feel worse, don't have the energy, then listen to your body and rest.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    No. ESPECIALLY if you're going to the gym.

If you feel the need to do a workout do something light at home.

I'm not a fan of people who go to the gym sick and are sneezing, coughing and hacking and wiping their noses all over the place and then touching all the equipment that I'm going to use.

ETA: If your lungs "feel inflamed" and you're having difficulty breathing then definitely take a day or two off or at least wait and see what your doctor says.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to exercise but I fell really sick yesterday and nearly had a fever but my throat hurts and my lungs feel weird and it feels inflamed I think. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow but in the meantime should I exercise or should I take a break? I've been burning over 3000 kcal per week on exercise for weeks and I'm a little afraid that I'll gain weight when I stop exercising. What do you guys recommend? And how long should I take a break for If necessary?

When you have a respiratory illness, you should not exercise. It makes your heart work much harder when the lungs are affected and you can't get the same level of oxygen you normally would during a workout. Your body needs the energy it does have to allow your immune system to fight off the illness.
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would get to the gym and just do a light workout. I'd also increase my calorie intake to run a smaller deficit or just eat maintenance. You won't gain weight but you will make it easier for your body to fight the infection.

I strongly disagree. On behalf of me and others who visit a gyms, please don't bring your cold/illness to the gym where I can catch it from you. Take some time off and rest. Cut your calories back some to account for skipping a work out. Priority is to get better and feel healthy/
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The general rule is if the symptoms are above the neck you can keep going (if you feel up to it) and if they're below the neck you should take time off.

Perfect advice.

Also, stay away from the gym. I am so sick of selfish people coming to our Y and coughing/hacking in common areas. That really is a terrible thing to do. Do something at your home or go out for a run/bike ride (weather/location permitting)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you have an infection, stay in bed and drink clear fluids.

And as other posters have noted, *please* DO NOT go to the gym if you are sick! Take a walk around your neighborhood or grab a workout DVD or something at home. Don't deliberately spread germs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options

I strongly disagree. On behalf of me and others who visit a gyms, please don't bring your cold/illness to the gym where I can catch it from you. Take some time off and rest. Cut your calories back some to account for skipping a work out. Priority is to get better and feel healthy/
    THIS. Working in a hospital gym with people who may be more susceptible to illness (seniors), please refrain from possibly spreading whatever illness you may have.
    Exercise reduces your immunity temporarily which will make your recovery longer. Take the time off and rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of your entire life, taking off a few days to rest and let your body heal itself isn't a big deal and is not going to have any bearing whatsoever on your fitness.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I currently have strep. I'm not working out, I'm resting instead. Aside from the fact my workouts would suffer if I tried today, it would also prolong my recovery time from teh strep.

Take some rest, get back up to full strength (don't use it as an excuse if you're inclined to), and then fully commit first workout back.