Northeast Blizzard Coming ...

Options

Replies

• MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Stock up on chips, jerky, water, and dried fruit. :) That's what we do!! NOM.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I always laugh when I see people's choices at the grocery store. Perishables aren't the best option since there is no guarantee you'll have power! Especially not in NH, we have the worst infrastructure ever. Although it is improving with time. :) With temperatures like this, the snow won't be wet and heavy at least!

We had a severe ice storm in the Adirondacks way back in 1998 and most of the region lost power for a week or more. My father came home with the following in preparation:

1) Frozen pizza
    2) Gallon of milk
    3) Bag of Sun Chips
    4) Bag of Doritos
    5) Disposable camera

That was it. Well done, Dad! We still laugh about it now. The disposable camera was the only thing we used because the power went out the moment we put the pizza in the oven. Our neighbors across the street did NOT lose power so we finished cooking it in their house.

Perishables are fine...u just put them outside to stay cold.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    I've never understood that for hurricane prep either...

If I feel I may have to survive, I'm going with bottled water and a canopener and canned stuff. Maybe have a jar of peanut butter too.

I'm not going to be eating cereal and making cold cut sandwiches...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you forgot toilet paper!

who uses toilet paper anymore?

51IB79d5PBL._SY300_.jpg
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Condoms.....you never know in case the neighbor needs plowing!
  • btwinkles
    btwinkles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You need to get more bread and milk and as someone else pointed out, eggs.

We are ALWAYS snowed in for MONTHS at a time so it's better to be safe than sorry.

:laugh: LMBO!!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Boxed wine and some snacks that don't need cooking! (And extra matches for the fireplace if we're running low)

I have a gas stove and there's ALWAYS pasta in the house (my wife is italian, and I'm half) .. power or not, we can always make some.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

True story
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Got the boys disconnected years ago. Best. Call. Ever.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    No, it is imperative that you purchase bread/milk specifically for this blizzard....sorry, them's tha rules!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Canned foods, candles, and battery flashlights. What happens when power goes out for an extended period of time and there's no refrigeration or heat?
    Refrigeration will not be a problem methinks........:laugh: :laugh:
    Nope, we good. 6a00d83451f25369e20120a8b79765970b-800wi
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Everyone jokes about this but I did some prepping for our last snowstorm and I was glad I did. We got 12 inches of snow on the front side of the arctic cyclone that dropped temps into the -20s. That is VERY uncommon for our area. We had no water for 3 days and travel advisories making roads closed for 2 of those days. Thousands of people had no power and were snowed in their homes for 3 days. I know my family of 3 wouldn't have survived on the half-gallon of milk in the fridge.

4 day weekend's aren't so fun when you are using bottled water to brush your teeth and wash your face and armpits.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Wow. I can't imagine. I am SUCH a sunshine person and a total wuss in the cold (unless I am skiing!) Be safe! As for me....

1505124_693964297301076_1981377593_n_zpsa579e823.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They just upped it to 18-24 inches of snow. Me thinks we are going to get SLAMMED.

I salted my porch last night- and brought my shovel in- I have enough sewing to keep me busy for days.

I think my only issues I have no idea where my candles are because I think my BF threw most of them out in my recent move.

Whatever- I don't need to be up at night. I did all my food shopping Sunday so I'm set. I may have to eat the ice cream if my fridge goes out..

oh wait- no no I don't... I can put it in the snow. :D

I also have gas- so I'm not stressed about food. WOOT. Feeling good about this one!!!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

I also have gas

Well, that's because you forgot the Beano!:laugh:
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    winter-bbq.png

stay calm, you can still grill in winter, even bacon!
  • emtbabe326
    Options
    Don't forget the eggs!!

Apparently everyone makes French Toast in a snow storm!!

Me? I head to the liquor store, order some Chinese food .. and wait it out! haha
    A couple of 6-packs and some Doritos is all you need for a blizzard.

all of the above-and wine
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I also have gas

Well, that's because you forgot the Beano!:laugh:

LOL- nah- I skip that *kitten*.

Black Bean soup- Chili and curry.

I'll keep myself warm!!!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Canned foods, candles, and battery flashlights. What happens when power goes out for an extended period of time and there's no refrigeration or heat?

people use bbq's inside and die of carbon monoxide poisoning like in Toronto's ice storm a bit ago

duh :frown: :frown: :frown: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

or you go to a designated warm up zone
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    No bread and milk. Rice cakes and soy milk. And a Playboy for the power outage