Iron and calcium

Options
I never seem to get my daily amount of iron and calcium, any tips so I increase this and not go over my daily calories. :frown:

Replies

• hlopez_
    hlopez_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Beans, green vegetables are both high in iron and green vegetables are a good source of calcium. Also use rice or almond milk enriched with calcium. If you need additional calcium try a calcium supplement. Great for calming the nervous system.
    I never seem to get my daily amount of iron and calcium, any tips so I increase this and not go over my daily calories. :frown:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How about a multivitamin?

I'm a pretty big believer that most people on reduced calorie diets should take a multivitamin to cover any gaps.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Iron - dark leafy vegetable, beans, lean meat (especially red meat), fortified cereals, peanut butter

calcium - low fat dairy, milk alternatives (almond, soy, coconut, etc. milks), dark leafy greens, sardines, soy beans, enriched flour or cornmeal, salmon
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

More veggies, more dairy.

Can't see your diary so I can't recommend anything specific.

A calcium citrate + vitamin D supplement isn't a bad idea either.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Most of the database entries on MFP don't have the data included for iron and calcium. Therefore your actual intake is probably higher than MFP tells you as there will be small amounts in some foods you're eating which hasn't been listed.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Be careful when it comes iron and calcium. They both compete for the same cell receptor. When getting your iron, eat something with vitamin C, vitamin C actually helps the iron get absorbed. So if you're having a spinach salad, try adding orange to it.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Should be noted that the veggies and dairy shouldn't be consumed at the same time if you're trying to get the iron out of the vegetables. Calcium inhibits absorption of non-heme (basically non-meat) iron sources.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Most of the database entries on MFP don't have the data included for iron and calcium. Therefore your actual intake is probably higher than MFP tells you as there will be small amounts in some foods you're eating which hasn't been listed.

^^ This

If you choose an entry that has been entered by a user, then you will want to verify the data first. Most users do NOT include micronutrients.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Should be noted that the veggies and dairy shouldn't be consumed at the same time if you're trying to get the iron out of the vegetables. Calcium inhibits absorption of non-heme (basically non-meat) iron sources.

Fascinating, didn't know that.
  • Lucyj75
    Lucyj75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Some really helpful tips and ideas. I was wondering if I was getting more than what was showing. Feel free to add me as a friend any advice and support is great!
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Fascinating, didn't know that.

Yeah, I've learned a few things about iron in 20 years of being a vegetarian. Like, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you're eating a ton of spinach to increase your iron but you're always adding cheese to your spinach salads to up the protein.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Iron supplements are easy to come by and apparently have good bioavailability. There anything wrong with just taking a supplement instead of trying to "eat a ton of spinach"?
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    spinach smoothie(tastes like dessert) - spinach tomato fresh pineapple banana baby carrots with water or real juice for liquid, also good with avacado but that really increases the calories.

bio protein bar for breakfast, beans, sardines
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Iron supplements are easy to come by and apparently have good bioavailability. There anything wrong with just taking a supplement instead of trying to "eat a ton of spinach"?

They make some people nauseous and constipated- that's the only real downside.

I started taking an iron supplement last summer, after I went to donate blood and my iron was "borderline" despite my best efforts with my diet, and when I donated at Christmas my iron was "very good".

Eating more red meat is a pretty easy solution for people that eat meat, too.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I love it! *NOW* you are interested in a supplement? *NOW* supplements are "easy" and have "good bioavailability?" :laugh: :laugh:

I'm glad to hear that you have come around on this issue. :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    Options

I love it! *NOW* you are interested in a supplement? *NOW* supplements are "easy" and have "good bioavailability?" :laugh: :laugh:

Huh? Do you have me confused with someone else? Let's not pollute this thread with you dragging some irrelevant perceived statement out of another thread into here.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

I've poopooed on plant and supplemental iron before. It still may not help much in some instances and haem iron is still FAR more bioavailable than plant/supplemental iron and may be more beneficial in some instances than taking an iron supplement. Plants have the problem of even though they may have a lot what is there, it is inefficiently absorbed and/or competed with for absorption by other minerals.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    A post of mine from August:
    Check your vitamin D and calcium intake. I'd recommend a D3 supplement (700-1500 IU) if you don't spend a lot of time in the sun, and calcium if you're not getting enough in your diet. I recommend most people take fish oil as well.

You can toss a multi in there too. Shouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Another, from April:
    There are only a few supplements I think are really worthwhile.

Fish oil and vitamin D are at the top of the list. If you don't spend time in the sun every day, take a vitamin D3 supplement. Everyone should take fish oil.

Most women should be getting a calcium supplement if they don't have enough calcium in their diets.

Beyond that... meh. A multivitamin won't hurt anything.

I'd say my tune on supplements hasn't changed much. I don't recommend the fish oil anymore, I guess. I'm actually taking several mineral supplements right now.

I'm guessing Wendy just confused me with someone else.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Huh? Do you have me confused with someone else? Let's not pollute this thread with you dragging some irrelevant perceived statement out of another thread into here.

:laugh:

How quickly you forget, but *I'm* the pot smoker. You and your cohorts had quite a bit of fun making wild claims and conspiracy theories.

Just know that I appreciate the entertainment you bring me. :flowerforyou:

And back on topic, I also agree that provided you have no negative side effects, an iron supplement can benefit someone who doesn't get enough iron in their diet.
  • jonnythan
    Options

:laugh:

How quickly you forget, but *I'm* the pot smoker. You and your cohorts had quite a bit of fun making wild claims and conspiracy theories.

Just know that I appreciate the entertainment you bring me. :flowerforyou:

And back on topic, I also agree that provided you have no negative side effects, an iron supplement can benefit someone who doesn't get enough iron in their diet.

No idea what you smoking pot has to do with iron and calcium supplements.