How much water do you drink a day?

Options
According to the following article, I should drink 154oz a day. That seems like such a crazy high number. So I was wondering how much water you guys drink a day?

http://www.slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/

Replies

• Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am drinking about 100oz a day. I try to make sure I do at least that amount.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Virtually none. I drink non-water fluids all day and I don't believe counting your fluid/water up is still a recommendation, based on what I read.

If your urine is not cloudy or orange-brown, you're not dehydrated. We have a thirst mechanism that alerts us when we're low.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    around 80-100 oz a day
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I try to drink 64 oz.
  • sezie
    sezie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree that 154oz seems a lot too, that's how much they think I should drink. I drink between 140oz to 210oz per day, but I do it because I'm a singer and it affects my voice if I don't, so I'm constantly aware of the fact that I should be drinking water. I keep a large bottle with me all the time. It helps me drink more.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Drink when you are thirsty. We also get fluids from foods.

The recommendations for a certain amount are going by the way side as another poster stated. And yes dark urine is an indicator if dehydration. Something to remember if you travel to a place where you may become dehydrated and not aware of it ( high altitude).
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Usually 10+ glasses a day, plus what's in my coffee and teas. I've loved water every since my pregnancy though, so I have no problem drinking it. :)
  • amyg007
    amyg007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky if I even drink a cup of water a day. Never been a big drinker of any liquid my whole life. I have always eaten a lot of fruit and vegetables, so I am never dehydrated.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    I carry a gallon jug with me at all times. I try to drink at least a gallon a day
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have always had issues with drinking enough fluids in the day. I used to be a heavy pop drinker and quit as part of my New Years Resolution. Changing to water has been difficult, but I hoping by having my 28oz water bottle now, I may be able to encourage myself more. Has anyone tried any of those Mios or whaterever they are called? Do they have artificial sweetners or aspartame in them? I am allergic to aspartame, that is why I ask.
  • ElaineBeekman
    ElaineBeekman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually have 48 oz during the work day (two 24 oz bottles I fill with ice and water at home). If I work out after school before I get home, I usually refill one and have 72 oz. This doesn't include what I have with meals or at home (maybe another 24 and sometimes that's milk/juice) but if I drink those 48 oz only I figure I'm pretty good - any water is better than none. My doctor said don't worry about the numbers as much, but did mention the 1/2 your weight in ounces rule. She said if urine is light-yellow/weak lemonade color and you have to go every 3 hours or so, you're fully hydrated. For most people that's well below the "1/2 your weight" number. Also remember for that rule any food with water counts towards that number.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    just stay hydrated....

I drink around 1 - 2 gallons per day on average (128 - 256 oz) depending on the days activities and season. I will drink closer to 2 gallons on active days during the summer...I cycle, hike, etc and do that outside so I'm in the heat. I drink closer to a gallon on active days in the winter because I'm sweating much less...probably closer to 1/2 gallon on rest days. I also live in the high desert where it is very dry and also at over a mile high in altitude...one dehydrates quicker here than say, San Diego or something.

Again, just stay hydrated and drink appropriately to your activity level and hydration needs.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My minimum is 64 oz a day. Usually I average around 80-96 oz though. Once it gets hot out that will probably be at least doubled though!